Right of Way 2012-10-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
dadman

Re: Right of Way 2012-10-24

Post by dadman »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:Vampires dread lox.
If the pun jar doesn't accost you, I will...
If he doesn't pay up, I'll hold your coat while you have at 'im. :mrgreen:
Yo soy un papa.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

:lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

We've kinda presumed that M takes the walk from Mucho Mocha over to the museum every day. Either that or she gets on the appropriate light rail station and heads to work after stopping at Tina's. The two Vampire Girls could be standing outside the steps/entrance to the Museum, or they could be just watching as she's walked past them, and glasses vamp finally said something after a round of being stunned.

I'm thinking Phoenix blood is something "special" for vampires. What that "special" is, I'll leave up to Pablo.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Dave wrote: It might be a garlic bagel - garlic is a well-known vampire repellant.
Nice funny idea. OTOH... Cassidy (of Preacher "fame") claimed to love garlic. And crucifixes didn't work for the Preacher-universe vamps either.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

chibichibi01 wrote:Mmm. Welcome to the Jungle, Girls. Just be glad that the top predator doesn't recognize you for what you are. I just wish it had been Shelly that saw them first, though I am interested to see how this goes.

And i still miss Tsillah!
And they can also be glad that the top predator is still not aware (and unwilling to become so) that she is the top predator.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:
chibichibi01 wrote:Mmm. Welcome to the Jungle, Girls. Just be glad that the top predator doesn't recognize you for what you are. I just wish it had been Shelly that saw them first, though I am interested to see how this goes.

And they can also be glad that the top predator is still not aware (and unwilling to become so) that she is the top predator.
Yeah, I think their reactions are those of a pair of barracudas who just saw a great white shark cruise by. Or to put it another way, how many lions pay attention to the snakes in the grass. ;)
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Boxilar wrote:
Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:

Yeah, I think their reactions are those of a pair of barracudas who just saw a great white shark cruise by. Or to put it another way, how many lions pay attention to the snakes in the grass. ;)
Exactly. This will be an amusing series of events. Fiendishly amusing.
ImageImage
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

It seems to me that many of us are just assuming that the 'Vampire Girls' must be bad just because Phix called vampires "shitty mosquitoes". We have to remember that Monica mistrusted demons but now we have Tina (and maybe Connie) on her trusted list. We have to wait and see about these girls before we judge. 8-)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:
But perhaps their reaction is the first step towards M owning that she really is obscenely powerful?
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Mark N wrote:It seems to me that many of us are just assuming that the 'Vampire Girls' must be bad just because Phix called vampires "shitty mosquitoes". We have to remember that Monica mistrusted demons but now we have Tina (and maybe Connie) on her trusted list. We have to wait and see about these girls before we judge. 8-)
Personally, I'm .it going to judge the vampire girls until Paul shows us more of them, and what their motivations are.

What I think what most of are assuming is that Dredds and Glasses are freaking out because an Apex just brushed casually by. It'd be similar if we were standing on a street corner and a lion brushed past US out of no where and mumbled"Scuse me."

It'd be unnerving, to say the least.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

And just what are the hard numbers on how many Mythics look up to Monica and Company? These two may just be more fangirls, dig?
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

I just think this year's Halloween party is going to be particularly awesome.

Amanda better bring her best high-speed and her A-game.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I'm just tossing this one out there as an observation. If the sketch that Paul made of the Vampire Girls is an accurate view of them in action then it seems like they work the Burlesque scene. That can be rather hard to beat at a costume party on Halloween.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

the vamps reaction makes sense if you think what Phix said tho.

I mean Phix's "shitty mosquitoes" comment makes it sound like she and others like her would quicker rip these vamps from the fabric of space then waist the energy to say "excuse me". Now here comes Monica, who these vamps can tell how powerful she is, and she not only didn't kill them but also treated them with even the smallest bit of respect.

They’ll be drawn to her like pilot fish to a shark.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

dex drako wrote:the vamps reaction makes sense if you think what Phix said tho.

I mean Phix's "shitty mosquitoes" comment makes it sound like she and others like her would quicker rip these vamps from the fabric of space then waist the energy to say "excuse me". Now here comes Monica, who these vamps can tell how powerful she is, and she not only didn't kill them but also treated them with even the smallest bit of respect.

They’ll be drawn to her like pilot fish to a shark.
Great, from shitty mosquitoes to shitty pilot fish. I wonder if that is an improvement????
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Since we have not ever run into a really bad character, except some of Jin's demons, and the Lanthians, I expect the vamps will fit in with the rest of the Wapsi gang. It might take a while for them to be accepted, but I think it will happen.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

I think I'll go with those who said that these girls are normally invisible, maybe even more in spiritual form than corporeal, thus allowing people to normally walk right through them. That would explain why they can just stand in the middle of the sidewalk and chat. They are, stunned someone sees them, perhaps more stunned this someone seems to be a being of lethal power to them. Monica just was there before they really noticed and they may be expecting this to be their last moment "alive." Could be it's a rule of thumb that anyone who can see them when they don't want to be seen is usually a predator.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

jwhouk wrote:We've kinda presumed that M takes the walk from Mucho Mocha over to the museum every day. Either that or she gets on the appropriate light rail station and heads to work after stopping at Tina's.

Pablo's been justifiably vague about many exact locations, but the Wapsi Square neighborhool is small enough to get around on foot if one's in reasonable shape. Mucho Mocha is actually pretty well documented in relation to other things, for all that we've never gotten a street address.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Mark N wrote:It seems to me that many of us are just assuming that the 'Vampire Girls' must be bad just because Phix called vampires "shitty mosquitoes". We have to remember that Monica mistrusted demons but now we have Tina (and maybe Connie) on her trusted list. We have to wait and see about these girls before we judge. 8-)
Phix doesn't seem very accepting of any species that isn't Sphinx, sans maybe humans (and she's probably the most progressive/tolerant of the Sphinx community). Can't take her opinions too seriously, otherwise Monica would never associate with Tina or Nudge again (and I'm sure Phix has an opinion or three regarding Euryale, May, and the GGG she hasn't yet voiced on-panel).

After all, the vampires haven't tried to kill Monica yet. That's more than Shelly or Bud can say.
Prester Fred

Post by Prester Fred »

shadowinthelight wrote:Who cares if vampires can walk in the light? It's the sparkly ones that need to die a horribly painful death. VAMPIRES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO SPARKLE!!!
Okay, I gotta say something here (and damn you for making me say anything positive about any part of Twilight.)

I have no problem with sparkly vampires. It's just a new twist on an old trope. I read a Wikipedia article about the way their powers work, and it was actually interesting and well thought out.

What I have a problem with is the bland vapidity of a high school girl who is soooo deep and soooo complex that nobody her own age could possibly understand her, and the sheer creepiness of a (multi?)-centenarian thinking she's the most fascinating creature on the face of the earth (whether or not he looks like a 20-something "teenager.")

And no, I've never read any of the books nor seen any of the movies; I picked up what little I know by sheer osmosis. Like most of the really virulent toxins, Twilight can be absorbed through the skin.

But sparkly vampires? Could have been interesting, if they'd been in a story that didn't stink on ice.