Head Over Heels 2018-01-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Head Over Heels 2018-01-18

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, someone sure found new resolve!
Thor

Re: Head Over Heels 2018-01-18

Post by Thor »

Good plan, Shawna! That is almost guaranteed to work like a charm! :roll:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Apparently, Shawna thought that Castella was being terribly, terribly unfair, hogging so much of the school's supply of self-mortification like that.

Shawna wanted some for herself, and she was darned sure that she was going to get it, one way or the other.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Next week, on Love Tetrahedron...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Better that than an icosahedron, right?

Edit: And after taking a look at some of my polyhedral dice, I find that an icosahedron only has twelve vertices to its twenty faces, while a dodecahedron has twenty vertices to its twelve faces... So I guess it depends on whether you intend to place a character on a vertex or a face.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Sounds like someone's been reading MA3.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I gave up on the relationship chart a LOOONG time ago.

Raise your hand if you saw this coming...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

By strange coincidence, I also read MA3, but I don't remember any detail that someone could be referencing...

I have a feeling, though, that either Shawna's confession is going to backfire, as he's seemed to have been made uncomfortable by how forward she's been, or he'll somehow decide to go with her anyway, which is gonna wind up hurting Castela even more, and she's going to react Very Poorly. Probably to the point that she just pushes away all of her friends.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:I gave up on the relationship chart a LOOONG time ago.
It was getting a bit unwieldy. Keeping the lines from getting badly snarled was requiring more and more spatial dimensions and wormholes than the budget could afford.
Raise your hand if you saw this coming...
Yo. Actually it was in the syllabus... this quarter's Psychology lab study, to see whether unrequited puppy love can actually be strong enough to trigger spontaneous human combustion of the cranium.

Critical mass of Awkward in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Just had a horrible thought. Shawna is so overwrought and volatile that if Hiroshi doesn't respond well to her admission/outburst, and if (especially) she gets teased or bullied about it by other students... she might be at risk for self-harm or suicide. The kid needs a counselor, stat!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Dave wrote:Just had a horrible thought. Shawna is so overwrought and volatile that if Hiroshi doesn't respond well to her admission/outburst, and if (especially) she gets teased or bullied about it by other students... she might be at risk for self-harm or suicide. The kid needs a counselor, stat!
When the heck was that mentioned in the comic? I don't recall seeing anything like that.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Alkarii wrote:By strange coincidence, I also read MA3, but I don't remember any detail that someone could be referencing...
To chart all the hook-ups, breakups, lusting, etc., You would need a math class white board system, and a crate of markers.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Well, at least one of those involved had the sense to apply the Alexandrian solution to the Gordian Knot . . .

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Actually, I kind of wonder what would happen if Shawna were to tell Hiroshi how Castela feels about him as well...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:
Dave wrote:Just had a horrible thought. Shawna is so overwrought and volatile that if Hiroshi doesn't respond well to her admission/outburst, and if (especially) she gets teased or bullied about it by other students... she might be at risk for self-harm or suicide. The kid needs a counselor, stat!
When the heck was that mentioned in the comic? I don't recall seeing anything like that.
That possibility wasn't mentioned specifically... it's a hunch on my part as to how things might play out, if they go badly. I suspect it for two reasons:
  • This whole situation looks a lot, on the surface at least, like the Castela/Scarlet/Timothy triangle from a year or so ago. I don't expect Paul to be repeating himself in that sort of obvious fashion, so I'm wondering "What else might he be planning?"
  • There has been a fair amount of press in recent months, about high schoolers who have suicided after being the victims of teasing or bullying.
So, I'm putting two and two together. Probably coming up with seven... I'm likely wrong about my suspicion.

That she's overwrought and volatile... seems quite apparent from what had been shown in the last few strips. She hears that Castela may (also) be in love with Hiroshi, she breaks into tears and runs away, weeps miserably in a corner, then goes and blurts out her feelings to Hiroshi.

That Shawna has put a lot of emotional "juice" into the idea of a relationship with Hiroshi even though she knows very little about him... here: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/how-selfish/ and here:
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/test-drive-his-equipment/

Shawna seems to have built a whole castle-in-the-air in her imagination, about becoming Hiroshi's girlfriend... and so far we haven't seen anything to indicate that Hiroshi is really interested in her, or aware of the intensity of how she feels. She may be in for one hell of a hard landing, emotionally... and broken dreams, like broken mirrors, can cut quite deep.
ziggy78eog

Post by ziggy78eog »

Even though I do believe that this is not intentional, but Castela's bumblings are making everyone around her to be more honest, and open, with how they feel. First, it was Scarlet, and now Shawna. Too bad none of her friends cannot get her to do the same, as much as they try.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, given that Shawna has only been seen maybe nine times so far (unless you count individual panels), I don't think she's likely to get written out of the comic just yet. From a storytelling standpoint, it's simply too early. If you want a character's death to be emotionally significant to the audience, then they have to be present long enough for the audience to care about that character.

Granted, if she did kill herself, Castela might blame herself, but for us to be convinced that she feels that way would require us to see more of them together.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

If one is going to make a stand and fight for what one wants then it is best to get the first strike in on the target. Of course it is also true that it is never wise to bring a pin knife as your weapon of choice to a gun fight.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

No, more like bringing bare hands to a nuclear exchange.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Atomic wrote:Next week, on Love Tetrahedron...
Remember, this is Wapsi Square.
It's more like Love Tesseract. :)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Bleh! You're over complicating things. There's only the two girls and the guy. For a tesseract, you'd need a fair bit more than just three people. Sixteen, maybe?