Doing Something Dumb 2018-01-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Alkarii

Re: Doing Something Dumb 2018-01-12

Post by Alkarii »

I can't stand the smell or taste of coffee, myself, so I never wound up with the caffeine addiction that tends to come with drinking it. Of course, given the fact that I also have a bad sensitivity to caffeine... Crap, I forgot how I was going to finish that sentence.

At any rate, I don't see how anyone could become hooked on something that tastes and smells so horrible. No, it isn't the way a particular kind is made, either. I have yet to encounter coffee that smelled or tasted good.

If I were in the Honor Harrington books, I'd probably be the only person in the room besides Honor herself who'd be requesting hot cocoa. Well, maybe the treecats, too. Can't remember their opinions on the stuff.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote:. . . At any rate, I don't see how anyone could become hooked on something that tastes and smells so horrible. No, it isn't the way a particular kind is made, either. I have yet to encounter coffee that smelled or tasted good. . . .
Much my opinion of alcohol, too.

Though alcohol is a useful fuel and solvent, anyway.
Alkarii wrote: . . . If I were in the Honor Harrington books, I'd probably be the only person in the room besides Honor herself who'd be requesting hot cocoa. Well, maybe the treecats, too. Can't remember their opinions on the stuff.
I don't recall the 'cats having an opinion on coffee.

I'd be having cocoa . . . if there was no tea available.

. . .

You know, I don't remember any mention of tea in the Honorverse . . . Don't remember that there wasn't, either . . . hmm.

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

OK, if you don't like ANY Coffee; you haven't had the good stuff yet. (Forget anything that comes pre-ground and in a can...)

With a Native guide you can discover a freshly roasted, 'just ground' & just brewed 'cuppa' will whirl all the way around your previous experiences with Bad Coffee.

That said- Chocolate. And all things Cocoa related. (nuff said).
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TazManiac wrote:OK, if you don't like ANY Coffee; you haven't had the good stuff yet. (Forget anything that comes pre-ground and in a can...)

With a Native guide you can discover a freshly roasted, 'just ground' & just brewed 'cuppa' will whirl all the way around your previous experiences with Bad Coffee.

Will it eliminate the horrible stench of freshly-ground coffee?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:
TazManiac wrote:OK, if you don't like ANY Coffee; you haven't had the good stuff yet. (Forget anything that comes pre-ground and in a can...)

Will it eliminate the horrible stench of freshly-ground coffee?
Doubtful.

Though I have smelled worse . . . sewage lagoons . . . week-dead seal . . . slaughterhouse in hot weather . . .

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Clearly, you've never been in a house where someone has poured out two full cans of carpet fresh into two rooms that don't have any carpet. That was more than a decade ago, and I still can't stand the smell of that stuff because of it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote: . . . slaughterhouse in hot weather . . .
I understand the Meatpackers Union tried to hold a rally in a place like that, one August day a few years ago.

It was a shambles.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
FreeFlier wrote: . . . slaughterhouse in hot weather . . .
I understand the Meatpackers Union tried to hold a rally in a place like that, one August day a few years ago.

It was a shambles.
<ignore>
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote:Clearly, you've never been in a house where someone has poured out two full cans of carpet fresh into two rooms that don't have any carpet. That was more than a decade ago, and I still can't stand the smell of that stuff because of it.
Does it smell as bad as cat urine that's been allowed to rot?

--FreeFlier
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Typeminer wrote:
Dave wrote:Maybe Nescafé - that would stunt anything.
If it doesn't, the smiting by our blessed goddess Arabica surely will. :mrgreen:
(Sung in Gregorian chant)- "We all worship the blackbean/ body of our god caffeine..."
Wrong one.

Coffee coffee coffee
Give me my damned coffee
If I don't get my coffee
Someone's going to pay!

Shneekey taught my son this one that he does hilariously well in Gregorian chant:

Coffee coffee coffee
Praise the name of coffee
Early in the morning
We rise because of thee

Now, get woken up to that with your child(he was five at the time) wearing your trench coat as monk robes, presenting your coffee, smiling beatifically.
Said coffee was made in a 20 oz mug with an entire canister of instant coffee, 1/8 C blackstrap molasses, two sugar cubes, and heavy cream to top it off.

One sip, and I was sooooo awake, vowing to never ever ever ever stay up late again.

These days he uses my Aeropress and far too much of my Turkish ground coffee, but makes a damn fine espresso, uses just enough molasses, and tops it off with heavy cream.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

(Sung in Gregorian chant)- "We all worship the blackbean/ body of our god caffeine..."

Coffee coffee coffee
Give me my damned coffee
If I don't get my coffee
Someone's going to pay!

Shneekey taught my son this one that he does hilariously well in Gregorian chant:

Coffee coffee coffee
Early in the morning
We rise because of thee

Now, get woken up to that with your child(he was five at the time) wearing your trench coat as monk robes, presenting your coffee, smiling beatifically.
Said coffee was made in a 20 oz mug with an entire canister of instant coffee, 1/8 C blackstrap molasses, two sugar cubes, and heavy cream to top it off.

One sip, and I was sooooo awake, vowing to never ever ever ever stay up late again.

These days he uses my Aeropress and far too much of my Turkish ground coffee, but makes a damn fine espresso, uses just enough molasses, and tops it off with heavy cream.[/quote]

- damn... I thought Iwas the only one on this board that flavored their coffee with molassas...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:- damn... I thought Iwas the only one on this board that flavored their coffee with molassas...
Sometimes I do, but it's usually with maple syrup... :D
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

DinkyInky wrote: Coffee coffee coffee
Early in the morning
We rise because of thee
That one is a Unitarian hymn done to the tune of "Holy, Holy, Holy" It was posted above the coffee pot in our church for decades and two church buildings. I don't remember the other three verses but the chorus was
Brewed fresh or reheated
Dark by thee defeated
Brew-ed by perk or drip or instantly.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:- damn... I thought Iwas the only one on this board that flavored their coffee with molassas...
Sometimes I do, but it's usually with maple syrup... :D
Demerara. Has molasses, but not a lot.

Maple syrup? Take it or leave it in coffee depending on the quality. Save that for the pancakes...{yum}.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My method of waking up is auditory caffeine, usually one genre of heavy metal or another. Doesn't require any brewing, and no aftertaste.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:Maple syrup? Take it or leave it in coffee depending on the quality. Save that for the pancakes...{yum}.
Oh, trust me: I'll leave plenty for the pancakes... :D