Maintain Your Tone 2012-10-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Maintain Your Tone 2012-10-22

Post by jwhouk »

kingklash wrote:Those must be her batteries. Or hard drives.
You know, I had that down as a possibility, ridiculous as it sounds.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Goth Wolf

Post by Goth Wolf »

Got to say Im more than a little fed up with Monica's little self pity party phase. "Poor me I hate my life because I still have big boobs"

For fcuk sakes woman, get over it and deal with the hand you are dealt or go for f'n elective surgery. You just learned today that you are damn near immortal.

But all she wants to do is piss & moan about something she was born with. Look at the bigger picture and suck it up
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

analyst wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Nimrod wrote:3) Yet some beneficial physical changes, acquired mussel tone in this case, are retained.
Wow! I did not see that coming... Monica is a mollusk? :P :mrgreen:
A mollusk in a band!
Her friend is Shelly, remember?
(avoids shadows being cast by PunJar, the gaping cosmic chasm of wordplay....)

nimrod wrote:M's regeneration ability is starting to exhibit some very selective modification criteria, such that after a body-wide cell destructive event or major organ loss; ...
It may be along the lines of a story of souls in Purgatory, working out their issues. For example, the 300+ pound woman incarnates as her 5' 7" self, but a somewhat stocky 135 lbs. The late teenage fashion model who anorexia'd herself to death is still 5' 10" but a comfortable, if thin 130. Whatever their age at death, they're all physically in their early 20s, with physique and stamina to match. As the story progresses, they figure out they've been reset to where they would have been at the peak of their lives. The discrepancy between their past life and now was what they did to themselves or had happen to them.

Likewise, Monica reincarnation returns to a set-point in her life - the Standard Monica Form. But, her boobs are a part of how she is.
Last edited by Atomic on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:
analyst wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Wow! I did not see that coming... Monica is a mollusk? :P :mrgreen:
A mollusk in a band!
And now that she's immortal, the world is her oyster!

(observes mouth of Pun Jar beginning to resemble the deep, dark Marianis Trench)
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

Perhaps we should consider thinking outside the box (or the body, in this case). Monica's reset may be affected by something (or someone) else- or at least guided. This external influence likes Monica's body the way it is so that's the way it regenerates.

Now, who or what could this external influence be? (Aside from us and Paul, that is.) How about Dietzel? You know- the very strange dog whose visage appeared in the temple of the Jaguar? Maybe the Jaguar Girl gets a Familiar and the Familiar has a certain amount of ... Influence?

Just some idle speculation... 8-)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

For now, I'm just figuring the continued big breasts thing has more to do with the sense of humor of whoever/whatever is in charge of the regeneration cycle sequence than anything else.
eee wrote: Over in Gunnerkrigg Court there's currently a vivid - and distressing - look at what immortality would be like. ... Today we're back to the 14th (approximately) century, she's been accused by villagers of being a devil and taken a spear to the gut from a knight, she broke the spear with her hands and walked off, her clothing torn but unhurt to start a new life somewhere else where she's not known.
People who use this plot device almost never deal with the issue of decapitation. What would have happened if the Knight then took out his sword and took her head off? If she started coming for it, hacked her up further and/or smashed the head beyond any hope of reuse? That's what I want to know about. At least Paul seems to have covered this issue with the soul leaving the body during regeneration, That allows for head and brain regeneration as well, with all memories up to date and the "self" returning to the body so it's not just a copy of the person in the end.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

A dozen bagels only $3.99? Cool! Do they come with cream cheese?
eee

Post by eee »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:For now, I'm just figuring the continued big breasts thing has more to do with the sense of humor of whoever/whatever is in charge of the regeneration cycle sequence than anything else.
eee wrote: Over in Gunnerkrigg Court there's currently a vivid - and distressing - look at what immortality would be like. ... Today we're back to the 14th (approximately) century, she's been accused by villagers of being a devil and taken a spear to the gut from a knight, she broke the spear with her hands and walked off, her clothing torn but unhurt to start a new life somewhere else where she's not known.
People who use this plot device almost never deal with the issue of decapitation. What would have happened if the Knight then took out his sword and took her head off? If she started coming for it, hacked her up further and/or smashed the head beyond any hope of reuse? That's what I want to know about. At least Paul seems to have covered this issue with the soul leaving the body during regeneration, That allows for head and brain regeneration as well, with all memories up to date and the "self" returning to the body so it's not just a copy of the person in the end.
That's not a concern for Jones, who in an early friendly match with the resident Paladin, let his swung sword glance off her face without harm before grabbing said sword and pulling it out of his grasp. Jones is far heavier than her form would suggest, has superhuman strength, and seems invulnerable to normal harm. There is speculation she's Pygmalion's statue, her stone nature unchanged by being brought to life...

Of course how immortality is granted matters. Jack Harkness of Dr. Who / Torchwood fame has something similar to Monica's in that whenever he dies, he resurrects. That REALLY worked against him one time when he was buried alive. He would die, resurrect, then die again, unable to get out. Monica, with her 'poit'ing ability, need not worry about that.
Dave

Post by Dave »

cmdrpowers wrote:A dozen bagels only $3.99? Cool! Do they come with cream cheese?
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Prices like that in our world seem to be limited to places like Wal-Mart... more upscale bagels (and good flavored varieties) seem to start at around $6/dozen and head up into the stratosphere from there.

It's a good thing Tina is "on notice" about the dire consequences of harming humans, and has developed a good sense of human morality/ethics as well. Having the power of demonic influence could be a very strong temptation for anyone in the retail trade... simply persuading your suppliers to give you an ongoing discount would give you a hell of an edge over your competition.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
What would have happened? Nothing, it looks like - the man at arms' spear tore her clothing but didn't even scratch her skin. I've begun to wonder if Jones might be a golem; back before the flashbacks got into the 17th Century, i was thinking robot.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote: What would have happened? Nothing, it looks like - the man at arms' spear tore her clothing but didn't even scratch her skin. I've begun to wonder if Jones might be a golem; back before the flashbacks got into the 17th Century, i was thinking robot.
If you think about it a Golem is a type of robot (more like android). They are built and programed, just with magic and not electronics.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: At least Paul seems to have covered this issue with the soul leaving the body during regeneration, That allows for head and brain regeneration as well, with all memories up to date and the "self" returning to the body so it's not just a copy of the person in the end.
I think you forget that "it's magic". Or mythological. Same difference. Why is anything needed to "allow for head an brain regeneration"? It just happens, since... it's magic!

Note that we saw M's "spirit" (or whatever it was) when she was on fire. But we didn't see when she burned up to a pile of ash.
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: What would have happened? Nothing, it looks like - the man at arms' spear tore her clothing but didn't even scratch her skin. I've begun to wonder if Jones might be a golem; back before the flashbacks got into the 17th Century, i was thinking robot.
If you think about it a Golem is a type of robot (more like android). They are built and programed, just with magic and not electronics.
Which may just be what Jones is, because in the Gunnerkrigg Court universe... both are intertwined. Or even interchangeable. It's still mysterious. Just the way Tom (and his avid readers, like this poster) likes it.
stjen

Post by stjen »

You're all missing the most important thing.

Due to Pablo's style of skipping over (in?)significant parts of their lives, We've Totally Missed seeing any scenes where Tina and Monica are in the gym exercising, and getting those "toned" bodies....

Sigh.
Dave

Post by Dave »

stjen wrote:You're all missing the most important thing.

Due to Pablo's style of skipping over (in?)significant parts of their lives, We've Totally Missed seeing any scenes where Tina and Monica are in the gym exercising, and getting those "toned" bodies....

Sigh.
Not quite Totally Missed.
illiad

Post by illiad »

stjen wrote:You're all missing the most important thing.

Sigh.
well, what would you prefer? NO dialog, just M & Tina walking to the gym on the Monday strip, doing warm up on the Tues strip, bicycle on the Weds strip, upper body on the Thurs strip, legwork on the Fri strip... and then next Mon - Fri doing bicycle, rowing, biceps, abdominal, and maybe hit the showers in the last frame...

or would you rather have two weeks of actual story????

Dave: that was a wonderful sequence, BUT not *that* much tennis was actually done.. but who cares??? us guys just luv watching.... :twisted: :P :P
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

In all our talk about immortal beings, we left out Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged from, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." He has another perspective on immortality.

In contrast to most other immortals, Bowerick Wowbagger was not born one, but became immortal due to an accident with "an irrational particle accelerator, a liquid lunch, and a pair of rubber bands". Unlike other immortals whom he calls "a load of serene bastards", he doesn't cope very well with his infinite life. Eventually he comes up with a plan to keep himself busy: he will insult every living being in the universe - in alphabetical order.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
Atomic wrote:
analyst wrote:lake_wrangler: "Wow! I did not see that coming... Monica is a mollusk? :P :mrgreen:"
A mollusk in a band!
And now that she's immortal, the world is her oyster!

(observes mouth of Pun Jar beginning to resemble the deep, dark Marianis Trench)
Don't mind me. I'm clamming up here, lest the jar take notice and slug me. I'd hate to get conched for lack of payment.
[drops in the mother of all pearls.]
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
eee wrote:Over in Gunnerkrigg Court there's currently a vivid - and distressing - look at what immortality would be like. ... Today we're back to the 14th (approximately) century, she's been accused by villagers of being a devil and taken a spear to the gut from a knight, she broke the spear with her hands and walked off, her clothing torn but unhurt to start a new life somewhere else where she's not known.
Jennifer Fallon addressed it with one character in her "Tide Lords" series. She also mentioned another unfortunate character--the eternal virgin. . . .
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

cmdrpowers wrote:A dozen bagels only $3.99? Cool! Do they come with cream cheese?
Ladies and gentlemen, I vote this the non-sequitur of the year.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin