Maintain Your Tone 2012-10-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TlalocW

Maintain Your Tone 2012-10-22

Post by TlalocW »

I really just wanted to be the one that started off the postings for a comic - just once in my life. :)

That said though, it looks like we all get something that we wanted with this latest revelation. Monica wins because she loses her scars and keeps herself healthy from the exercise/diet program she's on, and the rest of us (well, most of us) win because her boobs got bigger.

Yaaaaaaay.

On edit: Also, Tina's looking pretty good as well. I'm guessing that they did become exercise buddies like Tina offered in an earlier strip?

Yaaaaaaay.
Mark N

Re: Maintain Your Tone 2012-10-22

Post by Mark N »

Now not losing any of the exercise benefits is a plus to her regeneration. Does that mean that when she allows herself to die of old age she had better been exercising or she comes back out of shape?? ;) :lol:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

So she looses the negative changes from small injuries and such, but keeps the positive changes from exercise, but keeps the inconvenient bust size (which most readers don't mind at all). But, that means her new custom bra still fits correctly!
(Notices The 'NOT HELPING' Look)
Wow, how 'bout this weather, eh?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Mark N wrote:Now not losing any of the exercise benefits is a plus to her regeneration. Does that mean that when she allows herself to die of old age she had better been exercising or she comes back out of shape?? ;) :lol:
Every story about immortality in every type of media I've seen always seems to stress that it sucks because you're always losing loved ones often leading the immortal one to divorce him or herself from society and not get close to anyone.

Which if people could be immortal MIGHT BE true, but honestly, I'm kind of sick of the authors of these stories just repeating and repeating this same theme over and over again as if they're being deep instead of turning this into a hackneyed premise.

What about a story where being immortal rocked?

Closest I've ever seen was a Nickelodeon production of, "Tuck Everlasting," where at least the family of immortals in that were able to stay together as a family, adjust to the times, and continue the family business of making merry-go-round horses. :)

Maybe Monica will come to enjoy this new power. Maybe she'll abuse it, and the "gods" won't like it. I know if I had it, when I reached a certain age or if I broke a leg or something, I'd be calling up my Gollum Girl and saying, "Try to make it not hurt so much this time."
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

TlalocW wrote:That said though, it looks like we all get something that we wanted with this latest revelation. Monica wins because she loses her scars and keeps herself healthy from the exercise/diet program she's on, and the rest of us (well, most of us) win because her boobs got bigger.
No, her boobs have gotten bigger since the key was stuck in her head, but like the improved health they stayed while the scars disappeared.

In case you haven't noticed Monica dislikes her unwieldy mammaries, but is too afraid of breast reduction surgery (quite reasonably) to do anything drastic. I suspect that surgery is no longer an option now, unless she wants to have it redone after every phoenix cycle (yeech). She probably wouldn’t be able to use a reputable surgeon (NFW!) after the first time either because a reputable one would check her records and insist on investigating why they come back.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

At least now we know what M considers important.

Coming up - Return of the Mall Streakers!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
DJ.

Post by DJ. »

Atomic wrote:At least now we know what M considers important.

Coming up - Return of the Mall Streakers!
Of course that's important. Do you have any idea how much rebar and kevlar cost?!
Rock-slide. Everyone dies!
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Those must be her batteries. Or hard drives.
DJ.

Post by DJ. »

My2Cents wrote:
TlalocW wrote:That said though, it looks like we all get something that we wanted with this latest revelation. Monica wins because she loses her scars and keeps herself healthy from the exercise/diet program she's on, and the rest of us (well, most of us) win because her boobs got bigger.
No, her boobs have gotten bigger since the key was stuck in her head, but like the improved health they stayed while the scars disappeared.

In case you haven't noticed Monica dislikes her unwieldy mammaries, but is too afraid of breast reduction surgery (quite reasonably) to do anything drastic. I suspect that surgery is no longer an option now, unless she wants to have it redone after every phoenix cycle (yeech). She probably wouldn’t be able to use a reputable surgeon (NFW!) after the first time either because a reputable one would check her records and insist on investigating why they come back.
She does not dislike them but the cost of maintenance is getting kinda high. I think she is disappointed that if keep growing she can't just die to get them back down to size.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

TlalocW wrote: What about a story where being immortal rocked?

Closest I've ever seen was a Nickelodeon production of, "Tuck Everlasting," where at least the family of immortals in that were able to stay together as a family, adjust to the times, and continue the family business of making merry-go-round horses. :)

Maybe Monica will come to enjoy this new power. Maybe she'll abuse it, and the "gods" won't like it. I know if I had it, when I reached a certain age or if I broke a leg or something, I'd be calling up my Gollum Girl and saying, "Try to make it not hurt so much this time."

Well to hit the nail on the head, that is what Monica has here. She will be able to keep most of her dearest friends and the ones that pass beyond the veil she can still contact (Go Go Jaguar Vision). She will have a support network every time she returns. If her only bitch point is her boobs, then we are looking at a good immortality story here. The only one with 'being immortal sucks' is Jin and that is because of all that she has had to go though for so long while everyone else got a clean slate in it, and she is getting what she wants this time.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Tina's changed her hair style, lengthening it and added a ponytail. Looks like new clothes too.

Like the change. She appears more respectable now.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:Those must be her batteries. Or hard drives.
Heh. Like Greta Gravity and Super MILF?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
BikerScum

Post by BikerScum »

Cranky Tina rocks. Yes, she does...
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Okay Tina. Time to whack Monica with the Clue by four and show her that shes being a little brat again.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

TlalocW wrote:Every story about immortality in every type of media I've seen always seems to stress that it sucks because you're always losing loved ones often leading the immortal one to divorce him or herself from society and not get close to anyone.

Which if people could be immortal MIGHT BE true, but honestly, I'm kind of sick of the authors of these stories just repeating and repeating this same theme over and over again as if they're being deep instead of turning this into a hackneyed premise.

Sure, living forever is awesome; the alternative view is often just sour grapes. Probably. Although it means you could waste a lot more time on TV Tropes...
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

I would like to say the Mr. P is doing a good job of revealing and trying to cover some of the more obvious "holes" in M's newly demonstrated regeneration ability.
By using the coffee shop discussion he has removed the immediate resolution from the ripping out your heart affair yet allows a third party to describe what Mr. P wants M's power to encompass.

The only thing is that this would have been information that Monica told to Tina. Would M know all that T discloses?
Most likely - yet this would have been information that Monica got from Shelly and possibly a bit from Bud.

M's regeneration ability is starting to exhibit some very selective modification criteria, such that after a body-wide cell destructive event or major organ loss;

1) The entire body gets rebuilt with all the missing or damaged tissues reset to a set point in time. (removing recent scars for example)
2) Yet her amassed memories (also a physical configuration in the brain) are somehow stored remotely and reinserted into the reformed body.
3) Yet some beneficial physical changes, acquired mussel tone in this case, are retained.
4) Yet some physical changes, such as changed breast size, stay the same.

This is starting to get a little convoluted. Almost like her regeneration ability was not fully considered as the way it is being described is creating additional holes.
That is the basic problem with a RESET STYLE REGENERATION - one has to create a mechanism to explain the retention of those traits deemed "beneficial".
And that is the rub as it were. What is beneficial?

Monica's ability will need to take on a life of its own in a way, cherry-picking out select aspects it considers in M's best interest as this process is obviously NOT under Monica's control. (It has to work if she sustains sudden life ending damage).

I wonder what happens to things like:
a) acquired immunity to a disease or inoculations
b) medical implants, dental work, eye surgery and similar such work
c) pregnancy, egg depletion or any medications she is taking

The disclosure that acquired mussel tone is being preserved while fluctuations in breast size are too feels like a misstep to me, my suspension bridge of disbelief was almost built and then this came along.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Nimrod wrote:I would like to say the Mr. P is doing a good job of revealing and trying to cover some of the more obvious "holes" in M's newly demonstrated regeneration ability.
By using the coffee shop discussion he has removed the immediate resolution from the ripping out your heart affair yet allows a third party to describe what Mr. P wants M's power to encompass.
I hope he tackles my concern about poiting into a place where death is instantaneous (like the heart of a star) where you would get stuck in an infinite loop of dying, regenerating, and dying again before you had time to think. My suggestion: Monica's poiting ability comes with the added option of setting a regeneration point like in video games. :)

TlalocW
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Nimrod wrote:3) Yet some beneficial physical changes, acquired mussel tone in this case, are retained.
Wow! I did not see that coming... Monica is a mollusk? :P :mrgreen:
analyst

Post by analyst »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Nimrod wrote:3) Yet some beneficial physical changes, acquired mussel tone in this case, are retained.
Wow! I did not see that coming... Monica is a mollusk? :P :mrgreen:
A mollusk in a band!
eee

Post by eee »

TlalocW wrote:
Mark N wrote:Now not losing any of the exercise benefits is a plus to her regeneration. Does that mean that when she allows herself to die of old age she had better been exercising or she comes back out of shape?? ;) :lol:
Every story about immortality in every type of media I've seen always seems to stress that it sucks because you're always losing loved ones often leading the immortal one to divorce him or herself from society and not get close to anyone.

Over in Gunnerkrigg Court there's currently a vivid - and distressing - look at what immortality would be like. Jones is a preternaturally calm and mysterious woman who's been a mentor and authority figure to the main character; now we're getting a series of flashbacks showing her past. Her LONG past. The changes. The people she's known and had relationships with who've grown old and died before her eyes. The constant risk of being find out. Today we're back to the 14th (approximately) century, she's been accused by villagers of being a devil and taken a spear to the gut from a knight, she broke the spear with her hands and walked off, her clothing torn but unhurt to start a new life somewhere else where she's not known.

If this were anybody but Jones, who's abnormally balanced and may not have emotions, you imagine she'd have become a basket case long before the present...