Drastic Change 2017-12-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Drastic Change 2017-12-22

Post by jwhouk »

10 F and getting colder
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I cant beat 10F, but its currently 37F and falling, In Sunny California.

Tina wise, based on 'reasons', it looks like our favorite Java Gal is looking better & better, healthy like.
Maybe that 'Sleeping' & 'Dreaming' stuff is starting to work for her...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TazManiac wrote:I cant beat 10F, but its currently 37F and falling, In Sunny California.

Tina wise, based on 'reasons', it looks like our favorite Java Gal is looking better & better, healthy like.
Maybe that 'Sleeping' & 'Dreaming' stuff is starting to work for her...

I'm seeing where Paul is putting a bit more flesh on his girls- looks good.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

I'm at the family estate in the Alleghenies tonight. Indoor/outdoor display says -4 F. But that's better than Erie. And there was only light snow here.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

We're currently sitting at -8 F, with a windshield factor of -26 F...

My truck would not start, today. It almost did, a few times, but would not stay on. Even the roadside assistance could not get it started in short order. I needed to have it moving, because of snow removal today. In the end, they plowed around it, because they arrived as we were still trying to start the truck...

Ironically, I had no difficulty "starting" my bicycle, yesterday, in similar temperatures... (A little colder, actually...) It took me longer to get to work than usual, and I was coughing for a few hours, from exercising in such cold air, but other than that, it was fun.

Now that the snow removal is done, the urgency of getting the truck started is passed. I will take more time on this over the weekend.

Of course, I had to use my computer and Gmail, to make the call to the roadside assistance service, because my telephone decided to die, this afternoon. Now I have no choice but to upgrade and pay more for a 2-year contract than I was paying with no contract and my friend's old phone...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

-5 F and light flurries.

Why did we come back to this again?

...oh yeah, the cat.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

It's been in the 20s (F) for a week . . . a chinook blew in today, so it's currently 47F and most of the snow has melted. Supposed to drop again tomorrow, though.

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ah, the chinook -- When I was in Colorado Springs, one day we had 8" of snow, mid 20s F, next day gusts to 40 and low 70s. Snow all gone that afternoon.

What a deal!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Atomic wrote:Ah, the chinook -- When I was in Colorado Springs, one day we had 8" of snow, mid 20s F, next day gusts to 40 and low 70s. Snow all gone that afternoon.

What a deal!
And greet-ings from the land of ri-sing wa-ters!

Try two feet (60cm) of wet snow, then a chinook blows in with 6" (15cm) of rain in 48 hours . . .

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Um... What does a dual rotor military helicopter have to do with the weather????
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Alkarii wrote:Um... What does a dual rotor military helicopter have to do with the weather????
It's named after the wind.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Alkarii wrote:Um... What does a dual rotor military helicopter have to do with the weather????
I am in the same boat as you bud. :P HMS Confusion.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

A Chinook Wind is a strong down slope wind across a mountain range. In the case of Colorado, air descends from the 12,000 foot (average) ridge line of the front range of the Rockies, down to the 4-5 thousand foot high plains. The 8,000 foot drop causes compression heating of about 44F, and also lowers the humidity. Thus the falling air picks up speed, and heat, leading to the Indian name Chinook - Snow Eater.

So, it's a balmy 20F on top of 14,000 foot Pike's Peak, Colorado Springs at 6,000 feet gets 64 degree air rushing through!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Wow, that’s really interesting... hmm. Learn something new every day :)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

GlytchMeister wrote:Wow, that’s really interesting... hmm. Learn something new every day :)
Phil Plait (Bad Astronomy) loves to remind people that it's the heat of air compression, not friction, that melts reentering satellites and explodes meteors. 8-)
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Atomic wrote:A Chinook Wind is a strong down slope wind across a mountain range. In the case of Colorado, air descends from the 12,000 foot (average) ridge line of the front range of the Rockies, down to the 4-5 thousand foot high plains. The 8,000 foot drop causes compression heating of about 44F, and also lowers the humidity. Thus the falling air picks up speed, and heat, leading to the Indian name Chinook - Snow Eater.

So, it's a balmy 20F on top of 14,000 foot Pike's Peak, Colorado Springs at 6,000 feet gets 64 degree air rushing through!
So, a Chinook salmon . . . does what?

Damn. Dave usually explains these things. :mrgreen:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

If a butterfly can cause a hurricane, just think of what a helicopter can cause!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote:
Atomic wrote:So, it's a balmy 20F on top of 14,000 foot Pike's Peak, Colorado Springs at 6,000 feet gets 64 degree air rushing through!
So, a Chinook salmon . . . does what?

Damn. Dave usually explains these things. :mrgreen:
Glad to oblige!

Pretty much everybody knows that salmon are born in fresh water, swim down to the sea and live there for years as they mature, and then swim back upstream to the high country to mate and lay their eggs. You've probably seen videos of bears, up in Alaska, "fishing" for the salmon in the rivers as they swim by on their way upstream... the bears get all the sashimi they can eat.

What most people don't know about the Chinook salmon is what happens after they mate.

They come back downstream, really fast. And, as with the Chinook wind, the adiabatic heating effect raises their temperature rapidly.

So, the bears get a second dining experience.... on naturally-poached salmon.

To the best of my knowledge, though, the bears have not yet perfected a good recipe for Hollandaise sauce. The lack of lemon trees in Alaska is a problem for them, and I don't think they've been able to milk cows effectively enough to make decent butter.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

And here I thought only the mighty Susquehanna atomic carp cooked themselves when pulled from the water! Thanks! 8-)

But even if the bears had butter and lemons, they'd still need chrome plates for the best dining. :mrgreen:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:A Chinook Wind is a strong down slope wind across a mountain range. In the case of Colorado, air descends from the 12,000 foot (average) ridge line of the front range of the Rockies, down to the 4-5 thousand foot high plains. The 8,000 foot drop causes compression heating of about 44F, and also lowers the humidity. Thus the falling air picks up speed, and heat, leading to the Indian name Chinook - Snow Eater.

One of several named winds around the world - Sirocco {which is a warm wind caused by warm tropical air being pulled north from the Mediterranean}, Foehn {which is a similar wind to the Chinook} and others.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.