Needs Intell 2017-12-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Warrl

Re: Needs Intell 2017-12-20

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I think the 13-year old might be overestimating herself.
Isn't that the case with pretty much every 13-year old? :P
No. Thing is, the exceptions typically have barely half the self-confidence of a mouse dipped in catnip at a cat show.
Last edited by Warrl on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:And I also think, for all her senses and powers and wisdom, Cas might still be outclassed by the chessmaster elite that is Brandi, who also happens to have at her disposal the resources of an entire, well-funded, highly powerful, clandestine agency.
It remains to be seen if Brandi's skills were purely a manifestation of the Nu Gui, or an amplification. Without her subliminal master in the driver's seat, Brandi might be just another air-head. I'm not sure where in her history the Nu Gui moved in.
Right after she accidentally killed the baby, before she was golemised, apparently.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Atomic wrote:I'm not sure where in her history the Nu Gui moved in.
Right after she accidentally killed the baby, before she was golemised, apparently.
Correct. The Nu Gui was the baby who was killed that day... its soul, gone bad due to the death trauma.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/no-idea/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-nu-gui-deal/
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/a-few-favors/

As I understand it, Brandi tried to make amends for accidentally being involved in the death of the infant she was caring for, by giving it a place to continue to exist... within herself. Bad move. The soul of the innocent child didn't remain innocent... it became a Nu Gui, and eventually tried to maneuver Brandi into a position where it could use her to take remember on the entire civilization whose ancestors had killed it. As far as we know, I think, Lily and Kath are the only survivors of sorts.

Since Brandi and the others were murdered and golemized and Chimerized shortly after this... was the Nu Gui able to act? or was it effectively out of action until Brandi got her individuality back, centuries after the destruction of Lanthis? Might the Nu Gui have contributed to the rage which free the Chimera from control? I don't think Paul has ever told us...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Now that we've confirmed the timeline of the "insertion" of the Nu-Gui into Brandi, we still don't have an answer to the original question: was Brandi a Chessmaster BEFORE she ended up with the Nu-Gui, or did she become so BECAUISE of the Nu-Gui's influence?
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:Now that we've confirmed the timeline of the "insertion" of the Nu-Gui into Brandi, we still don't have an answer to the original question: was Brandi a Chessmaster BEFORE she ended up with the Nu-Gui, or did she become so BECAUISE of the Nu-Gui's influence?
Or, is it neither of those? Did she became a chessmaster after the Nu Gui entered her, but for unrelated reasons?

She was, after all, murdered, her body burned to ash, and the ashes mixed with clay and used to create a golem that had all of Brandi's memories and personality (and possibly her soul although I don't think Paul has explicitly said either yea or nay to that).

That might have had something to do with her acquisition of certain abilities involving planning and manipulation. A "strategy and tactics" subroutine that the Lanthian priests implanted, as part of the Chimera programming?