Knowing Why 2017-12-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Knowing Why 2017-12-07

Post by Atomic »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/knowing-why-2/

Oh dear -- as my mother used to say, "No flywheel."

Cass is getting to the runs-hot-and-cold stage of her life. Her first period will probably be an exclamation point, too!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
donoho

Re: Knowing Why 2017-12-07

Post by donoho »

Looking at Kat's face, I just see

PROCESSING... PROCESSING...
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Selene's "fight or flight" reaction is a mixed bag of flight... wings at the ready for escape, but clinging to Kath in a "safe me" grip.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

donoho wrote:Looking at Kat's face, I just see

PROCESSING... PROCESSING...
Katherine has survived so much, i doubt this will faze her for long.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Katherine wrote:Honey, come with me. We'll make Chocolate Chip Cookies...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Yep, been there, done that, burned the Tee-Shirt. From both sides as a kid and as a parent. There was a bonfire's worth of shirts burned as I went through the process with three kids.

And it looks like Selene may have recognized the power level of the burning bush.
Last edited by Opus the Poet on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Almost classical puberty cycle . . .

If she'd burst into tears, that would have completed the classical cycle.

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Atomic wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/knowing-why-2/

Cass is getting to the runs-hot-and-cold stage of her life. Her first period will probably be an exclamation point, too!
I love it when people assume mammalian growth and maturation from something demonstrably non-mammalian. Castel's a plant, not warm-blooded. She just looks like a human being when she wants to.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

One might argue that sprouting flowers was the equivalent there of. Soooo...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Atomic wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/knowing-why-2/

I love it when people assume mammalian growth and maturation from something demonstrably non-mammalian. Castel's a plant, not warm-blooded. She just looks like a human being when she wants to.
We know that Castela is at least partially plant. We don't know the rest. We also know that she's a shapeshifter. And that she can detach parts of herself (including her head) and reattach them, easily enough that she does it for amusement - mammals definitely can't do that, and while some plants can (or, more precisely, can have it done to them) the reattachment is a slow and somewhat chancy process.

We have no basis for saying that she definitely isn't a mammal.

She's certainly acting like a girl on the edge of puberty. And I don't think she's consciously faking it.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Pickle looks like she is willing to teach the detach head trick to Selene.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh, and let's not forget that she can etch the words "F@#% OFF" in the remains of whatever/whomever she yells at with her built-in plasma cutter...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I'm suspect a dose of the Mom Voice is being prepared.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Oh, and let's not forget that she can etch the words "F@#% OFF" in the remains of whatever/whomever she yells at with her built-in plasma cutter...
Yeah, that's what worries me more than a bit... and may be worrying Castela as well.

She was "built" to be an unstoppable Fae-killing weapon, and knowing that hasn't been easy for her to process. Well, her hormone-fueled attraction-and-resistance conflict towards Hiroshi (part-Fae, and the first Fae we've seen her meet in years) almost threw her into a Hulk-like rage... which might have resulted in either Hiroshi or Shawna, or both, being plasma-carved into kabob-sized chunks of long pork. Even the aftermath left her unsettled and twitchy enough to fly off the handle at Selene and charge up the capacitors towards firing voltage.

What if this isn't just puberty hormones? What if it's at least partially a result of her original design, now becoming active?

It would utterly suck if Pickle were to learn that she's not just a deliberately-built anti-Fae weapon, but a weapon who is reaching an adulthood that comes equipped with an uncontrollable urge to run wild and fire itself blindly into crowds any time a Fae shows up. Every suckier would be if she finds that her violent rage can be triggered and controlled by somebody else... that she can be turned from a person, into a ranged weapon "on command".

Bruce Banner had it tough enough, dealing with The Hulk's violent rages, but at least The Hulk's creation was accidental and its violence was random and reactive. It would be at least as bad for Castela, having to deal with the same sort of uncontrollable rage and violence, and knowing that the cause was "I was deliberately made to be this way."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Puberty is almost certainly part of the problem, but that doesn't mean that it is all of the problem.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Katherine has survived so much, i doubt this will faze her for long.
She's already faced an almost identical situation from Atsali, plus had both the kids going a bit nuts. She's a bit more mentally and emotionally prepared for seeing her cute little kids turn into weapons of mass destruction. She's outright stated to herself that her job now as a mother of two paranormal kids is to watch over a couple of creatures who could easily impulsively kill her and keep them in line purely by the strength of her own personality.
Warrl wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:I love it when people assume mammalian growth and maturation from something demonstrably non-mammalian. Castel's a plant, not warm-blooded. She just looks like a human being when she wants to.
We know that Castela is at least partially plant. We don't know the rest. We also know that she's a shapeshifter. And that she can detach parts of herself (including her head) and reattach them, easily enough that she does it for amusement - mammals definitely can't do that, and while some plants can (or, more precisely, can have it done to them) the reattachment is a slow and somewhat chancy process.

We have no basis for saying that she definitely isn't a mammal.

She's certainly acting like a girl on the edge of puberty. And I don't think she's consciously faking it.
We've had multiple confirmations that she's part blackthorn tree, and Daylla specifically mentioned that she was part human as well. Other than that, there's no telling what other DNA she might have thrown in. But assuming that her best friend has some idea of what she's talking about, then Castela is at least partially mammal. That then leaves the question of what mammalian traits she expresses, and whether she has any control over whether or not to express them.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Allow me to restate that:

Cass is getting to the runs-hot-and-cold stage of her life. Her first disruptive hormonal surge preparatory for reproductive activity due to maturation (period) will probably be an exclamation point, too!

Nyah. ;)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I just had a truly nightmarish thought. If Pickle ever suffers from PMS that could present a problem of biblical proportions.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

Did Pickle get bigger in her rage? It's hard to tell since her blouse was already ripped, but maybe. As if the glowing eyes and Super Saiyan hair wasn't enough.

I wonder who Selene was going to suggest she talk to?
sheik

Post by sheik »

Just to put in my .02 dollars worth.
It seems to me that Pablo's concept of the Paras it that of compound creatures, not blended ones.
The problem is that any given "pure" form is actually difficult to achieve since the individual tends to center all the characteristics together.
Thus the children start out mixed and have to learn to be "human", while their other forms are suppressed and tend to rebound under stress.
The suppressed natures are always there, tucked away in "hammerspace" but the Paras are, in one particular aspect, truly human and have to suffer the consequences.
This seems to be true even in someone as otherworldly as the vampires, stuck with their guilt as ordinary humans, perhaps for all time.
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:Did Pickle get bigger in her rage? It's hard to tell since her blouse was already ripped, but maybe. As if the glowing eyes and Super Saiyan hair wasn't enough.
Well, in Whoville they say
that the Pickle's small presence grew three sizes that day.
And then - the true powet of hormones came through,
and Castela found the strength of ten A-bombs, plus two!