A Warning 2012-10-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

Re: A Warning 2012-10-19

Post by Opus the Poet »

waldosan wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:Is it bad that I like Bud's figure better than Monica's or Shelly's? I have been partial to ladies with well-defined rear ends and lesser-endowed chests. :ugeek:
so wait, let me get this straight, you like big butts and you cannot lie?
No, I do not. I like "well-defined" rear ends and flat chests. Not big butts, big butts I have in abundance around here. You can't turn around without getting run over by a big butt, sometimes literally. :evil:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Lee M wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Oops... :oops:
I guess I didn't catch it on time, this time around, and my embarrassment is now displayed for all the world to see... :oops: :oops: :oops:
It's been prvoen that you can sitll mkae snese of mxied-up wrods as lnog as the fsrit and lsat ltteres are in the rghit pacle. Obviously your brain was doing something similar with "Pibgorn" and automatically "proofreading" it into something that looked more lexicographically lgocial.
That may be so, but I'm still embarrassed about it... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Don't be. I'll be willing to bet a fair percentage of the readers to this comic saw it as Waspi Square at first. Many for some time thereafter until they stopped and really read the name. No doubt that would apply to people who just see the name in passing as well. Heck, a couple might not even notice the letter transposition in the second sentence of this comment, though they will now.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:That may be so, but I'm still embarrassed about it... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Don't be. I'll be willing to bet a fair percentage of the readers to this comic saw it as Waspi Square at first. Many for some time thereafter until they stopped and really read the name. No doubt that would apply to people who just see the name in passing as well. Heck, a couple might not even notice the letter transposition in the second sentence of this comment, though they will now.
That may be so, but even now, as I know the real name, I find I still have difficulty looking at the name on the browser tab without reverting to my previous erroneous reading...

It's annoying, really... :roll:

Hopefully, it will settle itself with time.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: Oh, I see. This mall is actually a street of shops. So they were poited onto a public street. So much the better.
heh, when is a mall not a 'mall' ?? :P when its a street name... :lol: there is a street round here called 'the vineyard' - but it used to be, 100's or years ago... :mrgreen:
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

LoneHowler wrote:I see a security camera on a poll in the background. The girls can't just poit out and hope no one sees, it's already too late :o
Bah. These are the same girls who have detonated entire restrooms in the middle of populated nightclubs, or regularly hurl golf-balls at supersonic speed (with the accompanying sonic boom) from their back yards. Even if someone does see them, it'll be just like when a two foot tall blue person boards the bus or the local coffee barista forgets to turn on her eyes.
illiad

Post by illiad »

meh, 'populated nightclubs' are full of drunk people,so any strange things are just thought to be crazy behavior or fancy dress... :/

'golf-balls at supersonic speed' was defused buy one of the girls, saying 'did you see that UFO???' .. as the joke goes, the guy standing on a street corner waiting to interview a 'normal' person... (many strange ones go by, time passes...) -- 'this is your man on the spot, *still* waiting for a normal person....' :/
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I'm forty four, I have yet to meet a "normal" person.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

sonicthunder wrote:
LoneHowler wrote:I see a security camera on a poll in the background. The girls can't just poit out and hope no one sees, it's already too late :o
Bah. These are the same girls who have detonated entire restrooms in the middle of populated nightclubs, or regularly hurl golf-balls at supersonic speed (with the accompanying sonic boom) from their back yards. Even if someone does see them, it'll be just like when a two foot tall blue person boards the bus or the local coffee barista forgets to turn on her eyes.
Quite so. Not to mention a sphinx flying by, clutching her BF. Then there are, apparently, werewolves, and (soon to be introduced) vampires. The people of the Wapsi Square region must be quite used to odd things going on. At least where female paranormal creatures are concerned. They must eye every woman with suspicion by this point. Probably have the attitude, "Oh ... it's just one of them," and go on about their business. The large MIB presence (which must be in the area) takes care of the really problematic or potentially deadly issues. They, or the Apos who work for them.
Aleister Crow wrote:I'm forty four, I have yet to meet a "normal" person.
Yep.
There are only two kinds of people: abnormal people and people you don't yet know well enough.
— Stephan Pastis

The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person.
— P.J. O'Rourke
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person.
— P.J. O'Rourke
Actually when I see a kid with multiple rings in his face I think that in a fight this person is so screwed. :P
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Bathorys Daughter : well there is pibgorn one, where two old guys notice them flying by , and 'matter of fact' say, " ah, there is a lesser spotted succubus, and a a mottled tree fairy..." just your normal woodland birds, nothing out of the ordinary {yawn}..... :P

Mark N : well.... I think you may find that the 'ordinary-looking' boy or girl may have something hidden that is totally extraordinary... they drive a metal detector crazy... :mrgreen:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha! You're my kind of person!

You are a person, right?

;) :lol:
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Bathorys Daughter wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:That may be so, but I'm still embarrassed about it... :oops: :oops: :oops:
That may be so, but even now, as I know the real name, I find I still have difficulty looking at the name on the browser tab without reverting to my previous erroneous reading...

It's annoying, really... :roll:

Hopefully, it will settle itself with time.
I was first turned onto Wapsi from a Fark thread, someone posted the strip where Moni was considering her ancestors' contribution to her physical parameters. I saw it as WAPsi right off, and recognized it as some native name. It actually seemed like it might be from around here in Oklahoma. "Hey, Ma! Does 'Wapsi' sound like anything to you?" She said it sounded like something, but not local. I took the time to read up the site, and was hooked. Of course, finding Shelly to be Comanche, and from the Wahnee family helped a lot.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

kingklash wrote:
I was first turned onto Wapsi from a Fark thread, someone posted the strip where Moni was considering her ancestors' contribution to her physical parameters. I saw it as WAPsi right off, and recognized it as some native name. It actually seemed like it might be from around here in Oklahoma. "Hey, Ma! Does 'Wapsi' sound like anything to you?" She said it sounded like something, but not local. I took the time to read up the site, and was hooked. Of course, finding Shelly to be Comanche, and from the Wahnee family helped a lot.
I am with you on the Wapsi and Wahnee connection. I have known many "Native Americans" and have a taste for American history and from that the original names of some places so those names fits my brains 'pattern recognition', so I see them the way they are right away. But Pibgorn does not fit that pattern so my brain (and it seems others have done the same thing) sees it as PIGborn which seems to make more sense.
There is a simple fact that the human brain tries to make sense of nonsense. If you listen to any distant and continuous noise long enough, you will start to hear a pattern (sometimes music) in it. That is the brain trying to make sense of nonsense. This is a similar effect as why a person might suffer from certain types of auditory delusions. The brain is making itself hear a pattern that is not actually there.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

FYI - PW made it clear the strip is named for the Wapsipinicon River which arises near Minneapolis. This also has appeared in the strip a few times.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Alice: "Do you think I've gone 'round the bend?"
Her father: "I'm afraid so... you're mad. Bonkers. Off your head...
"But I'll tell you a secret... all of the best people are. "
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:I'll be willing to bet a fair percentage of the readers to this comic saw it as Waspi Square at first.

I didn't read it that way, but I've typed that often enough. *sigh*
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Fifty six, and still waiting. But with less hope....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Atomic wrote:FYI - PW made it clear the strip is named for the Wapsipinicon River which wanders through Northeastern Iowa, which is where one of Pablo's ex GF's used to go to school.. This also has appeared in the strip a few times.
FYP. The Wapsipinicon is only in Minnesota briefly, and nowhere near the Twin Cities area.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

illiad wrote:Mark N : well.... I think you may find that the 'ordinary-looking' boy or girl may have something hidden that is totally extraordinary... they drive a metal detector crazy... :mrgreen:
AH, like the airport scene in the movie RA ONE...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
illiad

Post by illiad »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Fifty six, and still waiting. But with less hope....
well, you may have had enough of boring normal people.. But then, whats a bit extreme for some, is normal or boring for others... (a workmate thinks golf is the *most* fun you can have - and winces when I wear my 'Motorhead' rude t-shirts... {yawn} :roll: )
Stephan Pastis wrote:There are only two kinds of people: abnormal people and people you don't yet know well enough.
scantrontb wrote:AH, like the airport scene in the movie RA ONE...
I mean in RL... eg a friend who keeps being scanned, and getting an alert... and then she suddenly remembers! :oops: she asks to go somewhere private with the lady guard, so she can 'adjust under her skirt' ... :lol: