At least 2012-10-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: At least 2012-10-18

Post by MerchManDan »

Opus the Poet wrote:Plus, funny! The guy who creates the thread is of course going to be the first post, the "First!" comment is comically redundant.
...sure.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Fairportfan wrote:
Dave wrote: ... a few days ago I remarked that "Phoenix blood" did not necessarily mean "Phoenix ancestry" and wondered whether Monica might have had a blood transfusion at some point (perhaps after the bus accident). I figured I was probably wrong... and it looks now as if I was wrong about being wrong, which means that I was both right and wrong... which means that I think I need to go have a nice Mocha-and-Sumatran and one of Becky's muffins in a comfy chair over in :arrow: Confusion Corner.
Here ... and the next five, for another look at what "...having the blood of [X] ..." can mean...
is it just me and my computer or do the people running the Pigborn site really NOT want readers to jump back to the very beginning in one click and do massive archive binges? i started reading Pigborn from a comment on here yesterday, and want to go back to the beginning, but there is no "jump to beginning" link even though they have one to "jump to current date"... does anybody know what is the earliest date, so i can manually adjust the link and then read the dailies rather than clicking the "go to yesterday's comic" link a bazillion times, just to get to the beginning and then have to actually start reading from there?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wapsi wrote:Let me clarify, the spike brings her back to the point that it was put in her head and not starting over as a baby, BUT the spike is the Phoenix blood (you'll have to wait for more info on that) ;) Monica can be injured and has to heal normally, but now because of the spike (key), if she "dies" she starts over. Infer from this, prior to being stabbed in the head, she could be killed. As she gained power, she could protect herself and others, now she can regenerate if she dies from old age or trauma.
On the one hand...thanks for the unexpected information! :) On the other hand...now I know that my little pet theory was definitely wrong (not that I'm surprised, but it would have been cool to actually guess something right for a change :P).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:is it just me and my computer or do the people running the Pigborn site really NOT want readers to jump back to the very beginning in one click and do massive archive binges? i started reading Pigborn from a comment on here yesterday, and want to go back to the beginning, but there is no "jump to beginning" link even though they have one to "jump to current date"... does anybody know what is the earliest date, so i can manually adjust the link and then read the dailies rather than clicking the "go to yesterday's comic" link a bazillion times, just to get to the beginning and then have to actually start reading from there?
It's not just you and your computer. But there is a way: between the forward and back buttons, there is a calendar. Click on it, then select the earliest year available (2002), then click back the months to the first month with hyperlinks available (March), and voila, the first comic (March 11, 2002).
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

lake_wrangler wrote:
scantrontb wrote:is it just me and my computer or do the people running the Pigborn site really NOT want readers to jump back to the very beginning in one click and do massive archive binges? i started reading Pigborn from a comment on here yesterday, and want to go back to the beginning, but there is no "jump to beginning" link even though they have one to "jump to current date"... does anybody know what is the earliest date, so i can manually adjust the link and then read the dailies rather than clicking the "go to yesterday's comic" link a bazillion times, just to get to the beginning and then have to actually start reading from there?
It's not just you and your computer. But there is a way: between the forward and back buttons, there is a calendar. Click on it, then select the earliest year available (2002), then click back the months to the first month with hyperlinks available (March), and voila, the first comic (March 11, 2002).
It is funny that the first strip that is on GoComics is about halfway through that particular first arc. It seems to be a common occurrence on that site.
I understand why since most (if not all) of the strips are from newspaper syndication and had to be freed to be shown.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote: It is funny that the first strip that is on GoComics is about halfway through that particular first arc. It seems to be a common occurrence on that site.
Actually, it is and it isn't. That's the first regular strip. There were twenty - B&W - that were done for the syndicate's annual Christmas special, that runs on the twenty weekdays before Christmas.

Brooke reran them in 2005, beginning here, to here (with commentary).

Then, from here to here, he ran earlier sketches and three weeks of continuity that he hoped might sell the strip the strip when it was called The Titans, and Pib was called "Oola Inch" (also with commentary). But then he ran into deadline problems on Chickweed Lane...

(This sequence appears between the 'Fairy Harvesting Service" story and the Mozart arc that he just finished similar rerun/commentary sequence of...)
I understand why since most (if not all) of the strips are from newspaper syndication and had to be freed to be shown.
Since GoComics (and Comics.com) were/are basically arms of the syndicates, i doubt that clearance was all that much of a problem

They may very well not exist in a suitable format for online posting.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Brooke had actually started the comic as a one-off Christmas story as a diversion from 9 Chickweed Lane.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Brooke had actually started the comic as a one-off Christmas story as a diversion from 9 Chickweed Lane.
Um, yeah ... i said that.

However, the Christmas story is an NEA (i think) annual event (I remember Luann, Frazz and others in other years), which runs daily on the front pages, and Brooke took The Titans, starring Oola Inch, and changed it into Pibgorn, starring Pibgorn...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber