At least 2012-10-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
kingklash

Re: At least 2012-10-18

Post by kingklash »

Wapsi wrote:Let me clarify, the spike brings her back to the point that it was put in her head and not starting over as a baby, BUT the spike is the Phoenix blood (you'll have to wait for more info on that) ;) Monica can be injured and has to heal normally, but now because of the spike (key), if she "dies" she starts over. Infer from this, prior to being stabbed in the head, she could be killed. As she gained power, she could protect herself and others, now she can regenerate if she dies from old age or trauma.
It's a Save Point!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wapsi wrote:Let me clarify, the spike brings her back to the point that it was put in her head and not starting over as a baby, BUT the spike is the Phoenix blood (you'll have to wait for more info on that) ;) .
Aha - thanks for that hint! It does deal nicely with the concern that some people had expressed... that every single human character would end up being shown as having non-human ancestry (as Shelly did). If Monoca's dose of Phoenix blood was mechanically introduced/acquired rater than inherited, she's "amended human" rather than "descended from nonhumans".

So, instead of retconning (as some feared) you just spiked her think :)

EDIT: a few days ago I remarked that "Phoenix blood" did not necessarily mean "Phoenix ancestry" and wondered whether Monica might have had a blood transfusion at some point (perhaps after the bus accident). I figured I was probably wrong... and it looks now as if I was wrong about being wrong, which means that I was both right and wrong... which means that I think I need to go have a nice Mocha-and-Sumatran and one of Becky's muffins in a comfy chair over in :arrow: Confusion Corner.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Wapsi wrote:Let me clarify, the spike brings her back to the point that it was put in her head and not starting over as a baby, BUT the spike is the Phoenix blood (you'll have to wait for more info on that) ;) Monica can be injured and has to heal normally, but now because of the spike (key), if she "dies" she starts over. Infer from this, prior to being stabbed in the head, she could be killed. As she gained power, she could protect herself and others, now she can regenerate if she dies from old age or trauma.
So what happens if say she gets drunk and because of her inebriation, she poits herself into a situation where death is instantaneous - ie, outer space or the heart of a star. Does she then regenerate in the same place, experience instantaneous death again, regenerate, die, etc. in an infinite loop?

TlalocW <--- Always considers the worst case scenario...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

TlalocW wrote: So what happens if say she gets drunk and because of her inebriation, she poits herself into a situation where death is instantaneous - ie, outer space or the heart of a star. Does she then regenerate in the same place, experience instantaneous death again, regenerate, die, etc. in an infinite loop?

I would guess that her astral form can poit her remains to a safe place to regen. I am also happy that the Voice From On High has ended the discussion on Monica's ancestry and has left it as Monica was a little girl, but now she is a grown bird.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote: If Monoca's dose of Phoenix blood was mechanically introduced/acquired rater than inherited, she's "amended human" rather than "descended from nonhumans".

If you read David Brin, you would say that she was Uplifted.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

kingklash wrote:
bmonk wrote:The big difference between "mostly dead" and "all dead"?
That puts me in the mood for a nice MLT.
:like: Since she still has no sign of spare change, and no place to look for it.
But I suspect there are those who would volunteer to look anyway, just in case.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Thank you for the clarification. It will settle lots of speculation going off on tangents. I find it interesting it will work with old age as well. So Monica effectively becomes immortal with a reset every 50 or 60 years, provided she doesn't get wacked during that time. It would also be a good time to change identity as who would expect an 80 year old to now suddenly look 30ish. This also removes the inferiority she feels because so many will out live her. Now she has to deal with out living her friends who are not immortal.

So the spike is the key to the phoenix connection and not glen campbell.

<Clink>
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

TlalocW wrote:
So what happens if say she gets drunk and because of her inebriation, she poits herself into a situation where death is instantaneous - ie, outer space or the heart of a star. Does she then regenerate in the same place, experience instantaneous death again, regenerate, die, etc. in an infinite loop?

well, check http://wapsisquare.com/comic/not-stuck/..
she apparently can control her 'astral body' .. It just takes a bit of practice - and belief!! :D
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: If so, we have a problem with the Bus Incident. An important story point is that Monica's heart stopped. She was "dead". And that's what made her the "gateway".

So either there are degrees of "deadness" in the Wapsiverse, or Jaedreth's speculation is not correct in all points ... or Paul has got himself a contradiction.

Place yer bets, ladeez an' gennelmens!
No contradiction at all. As a surgical nurse friend of mine has said, there is dead and then there is dead. If your heart goes into arrest you are clinically dead but are able to be revived; while having your heart torn out of your chest is another level of dead altogether. When Monica was hit by the bus she was revivable (sic) so her heart may have restarted on its own. As I did not see any indication in the flashbacks that Jin did CPR or anything else for that mater to restart her heart it looks like this may have been a foreshadowing of our current event.
Check out Pablo's reply.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote: ... a few days ago I remarked that "Phoenix blood" did not necessarily mean "Phoenix ancestry" and wondered whether Monica might have had a blood transfusion at some point (perhaps after the bus accident). I figured I was probably wrong... and it looks now as if I was wrong about being wrong, which means that I was both right and wrong... which means that I think I need to go have a nice Mocha-and-Sumatran and one of Becky's muffins in a comfy chair over in :arrow: Confusion Corner.
Here ... and the next five, for another look at what "...having the blood of [X] ..." can mean...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: If so, we have a problem with the Bus Incident. An important story point is that Monica's heart stopped. She was "dead". And that's what made her the "gateway".

So either there are degrees of "deadness" in the Wapsiverse, or Jaedreth's speculation is not correct in all points ... or Paul has got himself a contradiction.

Place yer bets, ladeez an' gennelmens!
No contradiction at all. As a surgical nurse friend of mine has said, there is dead and then there is dead. If your heart goes into arrest you are clinically dead but are able to be revived; while having your heart torn out of your chest is another level of dead altogether. When Monica was hit by the bus she was revivable (sic) so her heart may have restarted on its own. As I did not see any indication in the flashbacks that Jin did CPR or anything else for that mater to restart her heart it looks like this may have been a foreshadowing of our current event.
Check out Pablo's reply.
Lol I did. But it was well after I made my statement so there. :P
Fatuncle

Post by Fatuncle »

:shock: Oh, dear Gawd. I finally shift my lazy butt into the forum, and am greeted by "spiked her think".

Will someone please open a window?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fatuncle wrote::shock: Oh, dear Gawd. I finally shift my lazy butt into the forum, and am greeted by "spiked her think".

Sure. I'll open the window. But I must warn you, it is next to an unregulated paper mill. :geek:
Last edited by Mark N on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fatuncle wrote: :shock: Oh, dear Gawd. I finally shift my lazy butt into the forum, and am greeted by "spiked her think".

Please allow me to offer barely perceptible apologies for that, Fatuncle! :mrgreen:

And, welcome back!
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

zachariah wrote:
KateKane wrote:
zachariah wrote:Interesting Monica seems to have minor amnesia as she does not remember what Bud did. So the re-birth is accompanied by a memory blackout. Wonder how much time it covers. This could be a problem under certain conditions.
Even thourhg they did it to prove to Monica how dangerous she is it does indicate a certain casual attitude towards her. Combined with the memory black out now if you want to keep Monica from remembering what you were talking about just kill her and make a story up. I hope that doesn't become a trend.

I would say it is not a matter of amnesia, it is that she was killed instantly from behind. She had her heart punched out before she knew what was happening. Her brain ceased functioning before it could form a memory of the event.
Death does not occur that quickly for the brain. She would have memories from the event. It takes head tramua before memories get lost. While the heart died istantly the brain lingers on. The only option would be for the re-birth to kick in before the memory chains impress. That makes it a memory loss due to the re-birth. So it's a matter of how much time she lost. seconds, minutes, or more. If she thinks Shelly stuck a knife in her again then she lost more of the conversation then it seems she did is my guess.
But when your blood pressure goes to zero, you will pass out instantly like a light. That is why Monica doesn't remember the hand sticking out of her chest holding her heart.
Forklifter

Post by Forklifter »

Dave wrote:
Wapsi wrote:Let me clarify, the spike brings her back to the point that it was put in her head and not starting over as a baby, BUT the spike is the Phoenix blood (you'll have to wait for more info on that) ;) .
Aha - thanks for that hint! It does deal nicely with the concern that some people had expressed... that every single human character would end up being shown as having non-human ancestry (as Shelly did). If Monoca's dose of Phoenix blood was mechanically introduced/acquired rater than inherited, she's "amended human" rather than "descended from nonhumans".

ARRRGH!!!

My think just jumped in the drink from the stink... of that pun! ;)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: Check out Pablo's reply.
Well, yeah.

But i wanted to make sure that everybody noticed it...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:
Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: Check out Pablo's reply.
Well, yeah.

But i wanted to make sure that everybody noticed it...
Yea I figured that out after I posted. :oops:
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

It's a good thing neither Bud or Shelly said, "We were bored." :lol:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Plus, funny! The guy who creates the thread is of course going to be the first post, the "First!" comment is comically redundant.
As long as you don't try to call it "Ironically" redundant.