Little Tea Pot 2017-09-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

Re: Little Tea Pot 2017-09-28

Post by FreeFlier »

And . . . Even if Ruri first manifested at the physical appearance she has now, she'd probably still need to go through a maturation and growth cycle to become and adult.

Might be longer, might be shorter than a human, but she'd still need it . . . though it appears it's about the same duration as a human.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:/deposits a guided missal in the pun jar/
Did you mean "missile", or were you intentionally referring to a Catholic priest's grimoire?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:/deposits a guided missal in the pun jar/
Did you mean "missile", or were you intentionally referring to a Catholic priest's grimoire?
A guided missal is a weapon of papal destruction.

Or mass distraction, take your pick.

And the blunder-bus was developed to adversely affect the steering of surface mass transit.

(Wish I could remember some of the others from that book . . . there was the cattlepult, and the bullista . . .)

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:(Wish I could remember some of the others from that book . . . there was the cattlepult, and the bullista . . .)

--FreeFlier
Spider Robinson, "Silly Weapons Throughout History"... a short essay printed in a couple of his collections.

He described the guided missal, the cross 'bo (which hurled surly hoboes), the cattlepult, and the dogapult, I believe, commenting that you could thus launch teats, tracts, mastiffs, or bindlestiffs.

Also mentioned "... such obvious losers as the 'Studded Mice', and the disgusting but effective 'Snotgun'."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:(Wish I could remember some of the others from that book . . . there was the cattlepult, and the bullista . . .)

--FreeFlier
Spider Robinson, "Silly Weapons Throughout History"... a short essay printed in a couple of his collections.

He described the guided missal, the cross 'bo (which hurled surly hoboes), the cattlepult, and the dogapult, I believe, commenting that you could thus launch teats, tracts, mastiffs, or bindlestiffs.

Also mentioned "... such obvious losers as the 'Studded Mice', and the disgusting but effective 'Snotgun'."
Don't forget the 'Flail Helm'
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Don't forget the 'Flail Helm'
Worn by fans of heavy metal?
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:

--FreeFlier

That sounds about right . . .
Sgt. Howard wrote: . . . Don't forget the 'Flail Helm'
Seems like there was a head-cannon too . . .

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

Found in one list online:
Morinji-no-okama: a tsukumogami formed from a teapot. He takes the form of a medicine man. He carries with him many years of tea ceremonies. With knowledge of roots and herbs and his influence over the powerful nature of water, he can benefit those around him.
Not a bad clan to be a member of!

Colleges being what they are, though, Ruri might end up with an undeserved reputation for getting her friends into hot water. Or, perhaps, being a tease.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

One of the benefits of being around Atsali: her social cluelessness means that she will barge on in and ask the potentially embarrassing questions without thinking it over first, or will blurt out the comments that nobody else is willing to mention.
Dave wrote:Since she seems to be easily fatigued, somebody ought to knit her a nice cozy.
That could be a side-effect of a hundred years of pot use.
eee wrote:This was mentioned as a possibility yesterday, but I'm not sure how it would work. You've got a family, they've used Grandma's teapot for years, treating it with respect and love as she did because it reminds them of her, one day they wake up and it's a baby? Or in Ruri's case transitions right into a teenage girl who has to wait 18 years to go to college? This all strikes me as being kind of up in the air. On the other hand, I would assume the Japanese have something like the MiB that handles such things. Looking at the Wikipedia definition of tsukumogami, it doesn't say they become human, just get a spirit. I wonder if Ruri is a special case...
I was kind of wondering how that works in the Wapsiworld myself. Does the item itself remain as it was, but generates a sentient spirit who wanders around separate from the original item? Or does the teapot get incorporated into the tsukumogami's body? And what about ownership rights; can the tsukumogami's previous owner claim any ownership rights, or guardianship rights?

And the transition of your beloved personal item from inanimate to animate could get rather awkward in a lot of cases: imagine you're flying along a thousand feet above the ground in your beloved century-old airplane. . .
eee wrote:I wonder how strong a tsukumogami is?
Perhaps her previous owner brewed lots of very strong tea?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Catawampus wrote: And the transition of your beloved personal item from inanimate to animate could get rather awkward in a lot of cases: imagine you're flying along a thousand feet above the ground in your beloved century-old airplane. . .
Considering that very, very few cars or airplanes are still in continuous use for that long, I don't think it's an issue.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:
Catawampus wrote: And the transition of your beloved personal item from inanimate to animate could get rather awkward in a lot of cases: imagine you're flying along a thousand feet above the ground in your beloved century-old airplane. . .
Considering that very, very few cars or airplanes are still in continuous use for that long, I don't think it's an issue.
Actually, i believe that, by this time, there are a pretty good number of century-old automobiles ... and, considering what it would take to maintain a car that long and keep it running, they probably all qualify for the change.

And i'll guarantee that there are a lot of sailboats and the like a century or older still in use; certainly i know of boats eighty or so old, and i'm sure there are older ones.

And converted canal narrowboats in England and on the continent.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:
On the other hand, I recall that Charles Lindberg was famous for referring to The Spirit of Saint Louis, and himself, as "We". I wonder if whether, by personifying his airplane so strongly, he might have cut the tsukumogami dwell time down to much less than a century?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
Actually, i believe that, by this time, there are a pretty good number of century-old automobiles ... and, considering what it would take to maintain a car that long and keep it running, they probably all qualify for the change.
(At the photo interview) "Why, yes, this 1916 Bloatsborg was my grandfather's daily driver before he passed it on to my father, he drove it for years, and I've been keeping it up ever since he passed it on to me!"

(Disembodied voice) "Quit rubbing my fender, you little hipster pansy! Get a real haircut, and start using the good carnuba wax on me if you need to fondle something!"

Also: Obligatory - My Mother the Car
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Atomic wrote:Also: Obligatory - My Mother the Car
Had to embarrass me by reminding me of that, didja?

Thought it was hilarious when I was a kid. :roll:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
Akasha wrote:i suppose that it is good that some ... ahem ... tools don't get 100 years old. i wonder what a spirit of a ... nevermind ...
Oh, gods...don't give Sarge ideas.

It's an interesting concept.
A well-loved and properly cared-for proctoscope comes to mind...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Thor wrote:There is (naturally) a manga about tsukumogamis.

Tsugumomo

WARNING: The manga linked to above starts out a little ecchi and crudely drawn, but as the story goes on the art gets better as the story gets ecchier.
Fun stuff and interesting art. I'm up to chapter 49, and it's starting to lean on the Ranma 1/2 technique of "Oops! You've accidentally fallen into the Pool Of Unexpected Plot Resolution! (time for another chapter)"

Just as interesting is the presentation of various Japanese social norms and cultural habits, no doubt slightly askew given the paranormal nature of the various characters. Bathtub. There, I said it. Proceed at your own risk. ;-)

My Deviant Art scribbles
Thor

Post by Thor »

Atomic wrote:
Thor wrote:There is (naturally) a manga about tsukumogamis.

Tsugumomo

WARNING: The manga linked to above starts out a little ecchi and crudely drawn, but as the story goes on the art gets better as the story gets ecchier.
Fun stuff and interesting art. I'm up to chapter 49, and it's starting to lean on the Ranma 1/2 technique of "Oops! You've accidentally fallen into the Pool Of Unexpected Plot Resolution! (time for another chapter)"
It gets less fluffy and random fairly soon. Actual plot arcs and a grand story arc as well. And there's a Wham Episode coming up for you. I won't tell you exactly when, other to say that you are more than halfway there. You'll know it when you see it.
Atomic wrote:Just as interesting is the presentation of various Japanese social norms and cultural habits, no doubt slightly askew given the paranormal nature of the various characters. Bathtub. There, I said it. Proceed at your own risk. ;-)
The Japanese make jokes about things that Americans can find nothing to laugh about. I'm sure it goes both ways. But yeah, if you aren't inured to the Japanese cultural norms, you might find yourself uneasy at points.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Thor wrote:The Japanese make jokes about things that Americans can find nothing to laugh about. I'm sure it goes both ways. But yeah, if you aren't inured to the Japanese cultural norms, you might find yourself uneasy at points.
Been there, done that. Smile politely and nod at the lady standing at the urinal next to you.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Ah geez... My sleep-deprived mind just remembered that some regions used to have condoms that would be washed and reused. While I don't imagine they would be passed down to one's son, I don't think that's impossible, either.

If those ever existed in Japan... Those poor spirits... The things they'd remember...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Thor - into the 70s now and found the Wham setup. Expecting a very interesting resolution!

My Deviant Art scribbles