No Pressure 2017-09-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Cheesy1

No Pressure 2017-09-27

Post by Cheesy1 »

Drakkenmensch

Re: No Pressure 2017-09-27

Post by Drakkenmensch »

She's climbed out of the well, brushed her hair and signed up for college.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hiroshi's ex?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

. . . So now they're in a horror anime?

. . .

Whatever you do, don't split up!

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm calling a Kitsune here. Quiet, studious and slightly mysterious.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Being up all day can be a drain, so she brings some of the night with her.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Atsali: "You remind me of my sister's mentor’s daughter. I should introduce you, sometime."
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

Opus the Poet wrote:I'm calling a Kitsune here. Quiet, studious and slightly mysterious.
that was my first thought as well, just the energy thing ... no idea there
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

IIRC Kitsune are like sirens and vampires in that they feed off humans (although Atsali seems not to need that) and I'm thinking Ruri hasn't had a "snack" in ages.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Why do Atsali and Skylar seem surprised? You'd think they'd be aware of the various sorts of paras out there.

Unless Ruri is a rare type that most wouldn't expect to encounter.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I said left field but is she even from the same universe?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Hiroshi's ex?
I'd bet money on it.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:
I'd bet money on it.
According to Daylla, that girl was taken into custody... Besides, to be an "ex", you have to have "been", first... (I.e. they never went out, since he spurned her advances, and she turned him into a butterfly...)
eee

Post by eee »

Drakkenmensch wrote:She's climbed out of the well, brushed her hair and signed up for college.
The Ringu girl''s name was Sadako, though, wasn't it?
She was supposed to be a Fae. This doesn't look like any Fae we've seen.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Opus the Poet wrote:IIRC Kitsune are like sirens and vampires in that they feed off humans (although Atsali seems not to need that) and I'm thinking Ruri hasn't had a "snack" in ages.
In my reading Kitsune are fox spirits. The wild ones can be malevolent, but the tame ones are safe enough, although prone to pranks. Then there are the ones dedicated to the gods, usually as messengers, particularly to the Shinto god Inari.
As for the term Yokai, this is a general term for any spirit/monster. Another like term is Ayakashi for Yokai that appear above water. There is even a special term for common objects that achieve a soul by being lovingly cared for or lasting in excess of 100 years, which some Kitsune qualify for by gaining an extra tail for each 100 years, with the nine tailed ones becoming so powerful that they've been worshiped as gods themselves.
AnotherFairportfan

sheik wrote: In my reading Kitsune are fox spirits. The wild ones can be malevolent, but the tame ones are safe enough, although prone to pranks. Then there are the ones dedicated to the gods, usually as messengers, particularly to the Shinto god Inari.
Astra, the "flying brick" superheroine* of Marion Harmon's "Capes" series, about a world that diverged from ours around the turn of the century, gets involved with a character she first (in Villains, Inc.) thinks is a shape-shifting "breakthrough"; he calls himself "Kitsune".

In Small Town Heroes, she has further encounters with Kitsune, which seem to indicate that he might be more.

Then, in Ronin Games, she and two {or, maybe, sort of, three} friends** engage in a highly-illegal personal mission to Japan, to find Kitsune, who seems to be involved with a series of dreams she's been having, which seem to be gradually physically pulling her out of the Real World.

Inari is involved, as well.

{Astra's latest adventures, in Team-Ups and Crossovers, involve trips to a number of alternate worlds and/or "extra-reality" worlds - one of which is the world of the Grrl Power comic, in a chapter co-written by Grrl Power's author, Dave Barrack...}

============================

* Astr is what her world calls an "Atlas-type", after the first known breakthrough of the type - basically, Superman/Supergirl without X-Ray/Heat Vision powers. She is one of the five most powerful supers in her world - but she's more-or-less stuck at the stage she was at when her breakthrough occurred - she was nineteen, not particularly curvy, five-foot-nothing, and about a hundred pounds. Due to the way Atlas powers work, she may live a hundred or more years, looking like somebody's pixie-cute kid sister; always being carded in bars.

When she goes into battle, she wears a costume with some strategic padding enhancements, and carries a titanium maul that weighs more than she does...

** One of those friends is Ozma. Yes, that Ozma - with all of the magical powers ascribed to her in the Oz books. In a possible future that Astra and her friends are aware of, Ozma steals literally the entire state of Kansas...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Looking at the art more carefully after an archive binge I noticed Ruri has an aura very similar to what Devyn had right before she went "Silent Hill" on everybody. The hypothesis then becomes that she has a similar condition that preventing it drains her physically, unlike Devyn who just needs to get the right meds and herbs. I wonder if this might be the para version of depression, only instead of all "just in your head" it's actually in everybody else's heads, with the milder "chronic" version showing in Ruri and Devyn having the more serious for others version that sends them to "Silent Hill". And what drains Ruri is the constant struggle to keep from going "Silent Hill". :ugeek: Knowing that Pablo is (also) working (with? against?) depression I think Ruri might be an important character in future plot development.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Amusingly, today I discovered that there is an employee named Skyler at work . . .

This is in addition to the Acacia who works at my preferred grocery store.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

sheik wrote:There is even a special term for common objects that achieve a soul by being lovingly cared for or lasting in excess of 100 years....
I remember reading about that somewhere, just today.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Opus the Poet wrote:IIRC Kitsune are like sirens and vampires in that they feed off humans (although Atsali seems not to need that) and I'm thinking Ruri hasn't had a "snack" in ages.
Kitsune are Japanese fox spirits and mostly range from benevolent tricksters to neutral tricksters; some are nasty but rarely vicious without cause (as THEY see it). Some are messengers of gods - and those with seven or more tails might as well be minor gods. I don't recommend dishonoring or insulting any of them, even the (relatively weak) one-tail ones.

The Koreans have nine-tailed fox demons, kumiho, that are invariably evil and often bloodthirsty.

Chinese fox spirits, huli jing, cover the entire range of good and evil.