To Listen 2017-09-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

To Listen 2017-09-26

Post by AmriloJim »

Opus the Poet

Re: To Listen 2017-09-26

Post by Opus the Poet »

Ninja'ed by seconds. I wonder what kind of para the roommate is?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm surely wrong, but... I remember that Berdine originally made a point of explaining that Nadette didn't talk much in public. That turned out to be because she Sees so much that she tends to embarrass people...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Six-to-five and pick 'em on whether we've seen her before.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
eee

Post by eee »

Uh-oh. We're getting a lot of build up on the roomie without even a mention of a name. Something may be coming. Let's see if it's good or bad.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, whoever it will be, I have a feeling the next couple of strips will be amusing.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

...It's gotta be someone we've known or met.

Oh. My. God... what if it's THANA?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Thana? Who was that? I can't remember any Thana...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

My money is on Devyn or Cricket . . . though Nadette is also possible, though unlikely. Atsali would be very upset if she didn't know Nadette was coming here too.

I wonder how many para-friendly english-speaking colleges there are in the world?

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Alkarii wrote:Thana? Who was that? I can't remember any Thana...
She was never formally named in the strip, but we did see her hanging around once...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Thana? Who was that? I can't remember any Thana...
She was the young para who committed suicide in the orphanage... possibly for reasons having to do with unrequited love for Atsali, although that's not certain.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Ah, I get it. Thana is short for Thanatos, the god of death...

Wow, whoever named her that is just mean. Probably kicks puppies and stomps kittens while making fun of disabled kids, too. And may also have eaten the last of the fudgesicles as well.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Ah, I get it. Thana is short for Thanatos, the god of death...

Wow, whoever named her that is just mean. Probably kicks puppies and stomps kittens while making fun of disabled kids, too. And may also have eaten the last of the fudgesicles as well.
Yeah, I wondered about her name when Paul first included it in the tags for the strip. It did seem a bit macabre, to say the least. (And, I used that particular strip as the basis for some macabre-to-ghastly fan-art rescripting.)

I can't recall seeing her name used in the strip itself... she's been shown (in person and in a photograph) but no one has ever said her name. It's just been used in the tags.

Of course it's possible that her name isn't derived from the Greek, and had nothing to do with Thanatos or death at all. Sometimes, a cigar is just a smoke (but sometimes it's a smoking gun... only Paul knows for sure).
Thor

Post by Thor »

It's even worse than that.

"Thana" is actually short for "Deaderthanadoornail" which is a heck of a name to stick a kid with.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I am going against the flow on this one. I dont think its gonna be anyone Stali really knows. Any school mate of theirs Alana would most likely have mentioned by name. There will be a tie to Stali but i am looking for something from deep left field.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thor wrote:"Thana" is actually short for "Deaderthanadoornail" which is a heck of a name to stick a kid with.
Almost as bad as "Moon Unit" or "Dweezil". :shock:
Thor

Post by Thor »

oldmanmickey wrote: There will be a tie to Stali but i am looking for something from deep left field.
So you think Alana's roommate is going to be Shoeless Joe Jackson?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

It could be one of the people Devyn took underhill . . .

--FreeFlier
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:

Yeah, I wondered about her name when Paul first included it in the tags for the strip. It did seem a bit macabre, to say the least. (And, I used that particular strip as the basis for some macabre-to-ghastly fan-art rescripting.)

I can't recall seeing her name used in the strip itself... she's been shown (in person and in a photograph) but no one has ever said her name. It's just been used in the tags.

Of course it's possible that her name isn't derived from the Greek, and had nothing to do with Thanatos or death at all. Sometimes, a cigar is just a smoke (but sometimes it's a smoking gun... only Paul knows for sure).
Thana's culture could pre-date Greek culture by tens of thousands of years. For all we know, the Greeks may have taken the name Thana/Thanatos from the paranormals and changed the meaning for their own use (maybe one of Thana's ancestors did something really bad in archaic Greece).