Kyushu-Jangara 2017-09-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Kyushu-Jangara 2017-09-12

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:And, since nobody else has said it, I will.

Tonkatsu ramen? Yummy!

Based on the reviews I've read, Lily's suggestion is an excellent one.
Can Wapsi vampires eat regular food?

=================

Duh. Link to the answer was right there on the page...

I remembered that just as i hit "Submit"...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:And the addition of the Kitahara kozuko means the next iteration of JW's relationship chart will be a cork board covered with Pst-It notes.
Hey, I didn't say it was going to be EASY to keep that up.

Heck, just making it into a database boggles the mind.
Well, that's a problem that the industry solved decades ago.

It's a relational database.
I know that's supposed to be a pun, but it actually is a pretty simple database design.

tPerson: PersonID autonumber primary key, PersonIdentity text
tPersonName: NameID autonumber primary key, PersonID foreign key, Name, StartDate optional date, EndDate optional date

(Yes, I threw in supporting one person having multiple names - aliases, marriages & divorces, adoptions, nicknames...)

tRelationshipType: TypeID autonumber primary key, TypeName text
tRole: RoleID autonumber primary key, TypeID foreign key, RoleName text

tRelationship: RelationshipID autonumber primary key, Description text, TypeID foreign key
tPersonRelationship: PRID autonumber primary key, PersonID foreign key, RelationshipID foreign key, RoleID foreign key, StartDate optional date, EndDate optional date

(I used to do this stuff for a living. And if anyone's aware of the debate over natural versus artificial primary keys, my position is that you try to avoid ever letting anyone even SEE the primary key, let alone enter it - because if they see it, it will acquire meaning; if it has meaning, it can be wrong or can change; and changing a primary key is a messy business.)
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Can Wapsi vampires eat regular food?
There's been no evidence introduced that any of the criminals that Suzi slaughtered and ate, were at all irregular.

I rather suspect that they proved otherwise, when they saw her enter the room.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
There's been no evidence introduced that any of the criminals that Suzi slaughtered and ate, were at all irregular.

{Extremely Dignified Silence}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Warrl wrote:(I used to do this stuff for a living. And if anyone's aware of the debate over natural versus artificial primary keys, my position is that you try to avoid ever letting anyone even SEE the primary key, let alone enter it - because if they see it, it will acquire meaning; if it has meaning, it can be wrong or can change; and changing a primary key is a messy business.)
It is by key alone I set my RDB in motion. It is by the 3rd Normal Form that transactions acquire speed, the queries acquire data, the data become an output. It is by key alone I set my RDB in motion.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:

Really? That was bad even for you.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I notice that Katherine is fine with casually referring to "mom". That is good.
oldmanmickey wrote:With the introduction of a Asian Fae as Pickles boyfriend and the college being in Tokyo anyone care to be how long before we see other members of his family?
Or the boy himself. He might end up becoming a friend of Atsali's, much to Castela's annoyance.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Atomic wrote:
Warrl wrote:(I used to do this stuff for a living. And if anyone's aware of the debate over natural versus artificial primary keys, my position is that you try to avoid ever letting anyone even SEE the primary key, let alone enter it - because if they see it, it will acquire meaning; if it has meaning, it can be wrong or can change; and changing a primary key is a messy business.)
It is by key alone I set my RDB in motion. It is by the 3rd Normal Form that transactions acquire speed, the queries acquire data, the data become an output. It is by key alone I set my RDB in motion.

(Whew!), thx for that. He started Coding and everything...

PS- Mentat Mantra
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Anyone who insists on normalizing a database AND (re)setting the primary key to Zero after the initial data load is entirely too anal to work with. Really. I mean... really!!!

It's right up there with making your bed with hospital corners before heading to the Titanic lifeboats.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Atomic wrote:Anyone who insists on normalizing a database AND (re)setting the primary key to Zero after the initial data load is entirely too anal to work with. Really. I mean... really!!!
That's another advantage of not letting people see the primary keys. Who cares if your ten transaction types have ID numbers scattered from 83 to 207? Nobody ever sees those numbers anyway!
Dave

Post by Dave »

If you really want to confound them, set up your primary keys as double precision floating point numbers, generated randomly. Anybody who tries to do a join based on key equality, will deserve what he gets (a pie in the face). :twisted:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:If you really want to confound them, set up your primary keys as double precision floating point numbers, generated randomly. Anybody who tries to do a join based on key equality, will deserve what he gets (a pie in the face). :twisted:
Don't forget a regularly scheduled bubble sort to "optimize the database for faster access."

No - really. And the manager wondered why it kept getting slower as more records were added. After all, Windows Defrag worked wonders for his home computer....

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Don't forget a regularly scheduled bubble sort to "optimize the database for faster access."

No - really. And the manager wondered why it kept getting slower as more records were added. After all, Windows Defrag worked wonders for his home computer....
A very carefully hand-optimized bubble sort, no doubt. ;)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

One of my most cherished industry t-shirts is the 'DBase III for Mac'; it's a cool graphic and entirely Vapourware...

I did develop a small Inventory Database back around 1990-ish, but other than helping my Dad with Punch Card runs at Stanford U., I hate programming...