Your Family 2017-09-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Re: Your Family 2017-09-11

Post by Atomic »

TazManiac wrote:
Atomic wrote:"And remember -- never expose her to bright light, get her wet, or feed her after midnight! Ta!"
I'll have you know i just today got ahold of the photo-illustrated picture book version of 'Gremlins'...
Dear lord! Tell me they didn't use a flash when taking the pictures! Eeep!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Funny.

I think my friend sold it a the recent Farmer's Market for a dollar. I'll need to check...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I thought camera flashes sold for much more than that...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:I thought camera flashes sold for much more than that...
IF you can FIND THEM!!!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ah, which one:

Or?

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:Ah, which one:

I remember those! My mom used to use those. Those things were even more of a consumable than film! Only four sides usable, bulb burnt out after one use, go through six, for a 24 exposure film...

My mom used to give the used ones to us, and we'd play with them...

The name "Flash Cube" lent itself to a joke about English speaking people (Anglos - short for anglophone - were often called "blokes", in Québec): "What do you get when an Anglo gets an idea? A flash cube."

We didn't have a Polaroid, so i never saw the other type.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:Image
Can you imagine a modern news room/press conference, but with ancient flash photography? After just the few minutes, the room would be so filled with smoke, that it would have to be evacuated... :lol:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I think that the flash bars were used on other kinds of camera, though I'm not certain.

Flash cubes came in two varieties: plain Flashcubes and Magicubes, which did not require batteries for initiation, just a little plastic tongue that pressed a lever inside the Magicube.

There were also electronic flashes to replace either type of cube, though those were never common.

I also have several bulb-type flashes, and even a few bulbs.

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Flashcubes and Magicubes were proprietary to Kodak Instamatic-licensed cameras. As you observed, the cubes, although similar in design, were not interchangeable.
The GE Flipflash bar bar held 8 or 10 flashes in a vertical array, and was a retrofit for single-use flash bulbs. How did the Flipflash cycle the bulbs? By shorting across the now-spent bulb's contacts to route the trigger pulse to the next bulb in line.
The Polaroid Flashbar was a 10-shot proprietary design, like all Polaroid products.
Both the Flipflash and Flashbar needed removal and reinsrtion to use the scond half of the device.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Back then, round my parts, the name "Kodak" was synonymous with "camera", much in the same way as a Kleenex, and so on. So I saw plenty of flash cubes, but not so much of the other kinds. Though I think someone among my relatives (can't even recall if it was on my dad's side or my mom's) had a Polaroid. But I don't recall seeing those flash bars...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I'd forgotten the flipflash, probably because we never had one. (Or the Flashbar, either.) Mom had a camera that used single bulbs, then another that used flashcubes, then magicubes, and her last camera had the built-in electronic flash.

Dad never had a flash until I gave him one for Christmas in the late 1990s.

I started out with an old viewfinder (not rangefinder) scale-focus 35mm that used the flash bulbs about the size of a golf ball, then went to a MInolta XD-11 with a Sunpak 422 electronic flash in the early 80's.

--FreeFlier
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Remember the slide-whistle-like whine of the capacitors as the early xenon flashes charged?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I would buy the cubes by the caseload- I learned how to crack them open and take out the bulbs. You then solder leads to them and use them to detonate black powder charges- a single AAA battery had the poop to do it! From stage explosions to several hundred pounds of common black, this was quite reliable... I only wish they still made them... regarding the flash channels- that was powdered magnesium they used to make the flash. I have worked with the shit- brutal- especially when some dibbles down your arm just before you shoot...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:Remember the slide-whistle-like whine of the capacitors as the early xenon flashes charged?
Well, the transformers in the circuit, but, yeah...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I remembered this week, that we used to call shutterbugs (people who like taking lots of photos) "Kid Kodak", so much was Kodak prevalent, back in my youth. My mom still uses the expression.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

This is the only forum I'm participating on where 'Thread Drift' doesn't foretell a crack in the planet.

I like em' & I learn stuff too...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TazManiac wrote:This is the only forum I'm participating on where 'Thread Drift' doesn't foretell a crack in the planet.

They're a bit like the Mark Twain story about the country boy who went to the county fair with a jack knife and traded up until he came home with a mule!

Somebody did that with a red paperclip, I'm told...

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:
TazManiac wrote:This is the only forum I'm participating on where 'Thread Drift' doesn't foretell a crack in the planet.

They're a bit like the Mark Twain story about the country boy who went to the county fair with a jack knife and traded up until he came home with a mule!

His ultimate aim was a house, if I recall...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Atomic wrote:

His ultimate aim was a house, if I recall...
I knew someone who traded a pocketknife up to a pickup. It took a bit, but he did it.

--FreeFlier