Bounces Back 2012-10-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Re: Bounces Back 2012-10-17

Post by Wapsi »

Jaedreth wrote:
The spike in her head is not physical. It can't be dislodged, except by someone as powerful as the one who put it in.

Now keep in mind, with the Phoenix Blood, if she didn't have the spike in her head, she would have burst into flames, and then started as a baby, with all her memories. However, the spike in her head fixes her in that time spot. It forces her phoenix powers to regenerate her body at the point the spike was placed in, and no sooner. This means every bit of age she accumulates between 'deaths' is lost when she dies. Even if she remains safe long enough to die of old age, the moment she dies of old age, the phoenix power will cause her to regenerate, and the spike will make sure that power brings her body back to the physical age she had when the spike was put in her head.

In other words, she cannot die until The Fates make her.
*points* This. =)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Wapsi wrote:
Jaedreth wrote:
The spike in her head is not physical. It can't be dislodged, except by someone as powerful as the one who put it in.

Now keep in mind, with the Phoenix Blood, if she didn't have the spike in her head, she would have burst into flames, and then started as a baby, with all her memories. However, the spike in her head fixes her in that time spot. It forces her phoenix powers to regenerate her body at the point the spike was placed in, and no sooner. This means every bit of age she accumulates between 'deaths' is lost when she dies. Even if she remains safe long enough to die of old age, the moment she dies of old age, the phoenix power will cause her to regenerate, and the spike will make sure that power brings her body back to the physical age she had when the spike was put in her head.

*points* This. =)
Now, that is cool!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Wapsi wrote:
Jaedreth wrote:

*points* This. =)
Now that we have the word of the creator that the Phoenix blood is from her birthright, and the spike is a time stopper to help her in the future, we still have two big questions:
1) Why did Bia create the blade to give Monica this boon?
2) How did Monica get a Phoenix ancestor while Bud seems to think that it is not possible for some reason? (My guesses are that a Phoenix is not supposed to be physically compatible with a human or is non corporeal)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:
Wapsi wrote: *points* This. =)
Now, that is cool!
Yup! She gets what could be a very nice balancing of the pros and cons of immortality. She isn't burdened with the Tithonus problem (everlasting age, debility, and centuries of Depends) but also isn't stuck forever at one point in her lifetime (which could lead to monotony and boredom). She can, potentially at least, live through the years of her life many times... aging along with her lover(s) and human friends, and then eventually getting to go back for a fresh start. And, she isn't stuck with having to repeat high school over and over again.

There are worse fates than the one she has been handed.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
ziggy78eog wrote:Monica has that "boot to the head look". Either that, punches to faces are in order.
(raises hand tentatively)
Master, I also wish to boot people in the head...
Have you learned nothing from the lesson of Ed Gruberman?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think there's only one problem: she noticed that her boobs were getting bigger since the spike got driven in.

Side effect of Phoenix blood, perhaps?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote: 1) Why did Bia create the blade to give Monica this boon?
I'm going to guess that the blade originally had nothing whatsoever to do with Monica.

Bia was just sick and tired of her wine going sour after she had finished a half-bottle with dinner, and wanted to save the rest for the next day. So, she used her mysterious powers to create a time-stasis wine cork puller, which just happened to be in the shape of a bladed key.

It works on Monica due to the "Solos lo que comemos" principle, of course.
2) How did Monica get a Phoenix ancestor while Bud seems to think that it is not possible for some reason?
I thought it was Monica who said it was impossible for her to have Phoenix blood... don't recall Bud saying anything along those lines.
Forklifter

Post by Forklifter »

Congrats to Jaedreth for stating the correct answer, and in a very concise and clear manner! :D
Graymalkin

Post by Graymalkin »

Please don't turn Monica into Dark Phoenix.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

MerchManDan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
ziggy78eog wrote:Monica has that "boot to the head look". Either that, punches to faces are in order.
(raises hand tentatively)
Master, I also wish to boot people in the head...
Have you learned nothing from the lesson of Ed Gruberman?
Yes, master. I have learned that Anger is a weapon, only to one's opponent.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:
Mark N wrote:
2) How did Monica get a Phoenix ancestor while Bud seems to think that it is not possible for some reason?
I thought it was Monica who said it was impossible for her to have Phoenix blood... don't recall Bud saying anything along those lines.
Dammit, you are right. Thanks Dave I just didn't notice it was Monica before.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

jwhouk wrote:I think there's only one problem: she noticed that her boobs were getting bigger since the spike got driven in.

More likely too much pizza?
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Graymalkin wrote:Please don't turn Monica into Dark Phoenix.
Would Dark Helmet be better?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:
"Don't do that again!"

Well, Monica is in a position to say that, and mean it!
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Dave wrote:
scantrontb wrote:
"Don't do that again!"

Well, Monica is in a position to say that, and mean it!
And she's also probably thinking, "I'm surrounded by assholes!"
illiad

Post by illiad »

bmonk wrote:
jwhouk wrote:I think there's only one problem: she noticed that her boobs were getting bigger since the spike got driven in.

More likely too much pizza?
... and the usual stuff, like aging/maturing, adding size + sag...
As most big girls say, they are lovely, but it would be great if you could 'take them off' sometimes! :) :)

and yeah, if Monica can control those two jokers, she needs to command them to slap each other until they beg to stop!!!!! :P :D
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

illiad wrote:and yeah, if Monica can control those two jokers, she needs to command them to slap each other until they beg to stop!!!!! :P :D
:shock:
I hope you mean Shelly and Acacia...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Jabberwonky wrote:
illiad wrote:and yeah, if Monica can control those two jokers, she needs to command them to slap each other until they beg to stop!!!!! :P :D
Although, the other thing would be highly entertaining as well.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

kingklash wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Although, the other thing would be highly entertaining as well.
But hasn't she already sworn off braless pirouettes?
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

scantrontb wrote:
Dark Bosom or The Bosom of Darkness?
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.