More Aware 2017-08-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Aware 2017-08-18

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote:Specifically, insects, including butterflies, bees, and several kinds of flies and beetles, carry pollen from male plants to female plants.

Of course, some plants are both male and female, so the insect can carry it on the same plant in that case.

--FreeFlier
...or, as is the case with my habanero plant, i've read, just the breeze can carry enough pollen from one part of the flower to the other...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Pablo Wapsi on Facebook wrote: I can't wait for you nerds to see Monday's Wapsi. :P
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:
Pablo Wapsi on Facebook wrote: I can't wait for you nerds to see Monday's Wapsi. :P
Bad Pablo!

Don't tease the animals!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

If you support Paul on Patreon, it's already Monday...

Which means now you have to wait until Tuesday for the next installation.

>sigh<
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Specifically, insects, including butterflies, bees, and several kinds of flies and beetles, carry pollen from male plants to female plants.

Of course, some plants are both male and female, so the insect can carry it on the same plant in that case.
...or, as is the case with my habanero plant, i've read, just the breeze can carry enough pollen from one part of the flower to the other...
Many trees also wind-pollinate . . . the ones with discreet traditional blossoms usually pollinate through insects - or sometimes birds - trees without traditional blossoms usually wind-pollinate.

Alders, maples, conifers are wind-pollinated; apples, cherries, and almonds need insects.

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

TheDOCTOR wrote: SLOOOOOWLY I TURNED.....STEP BY STEP, INCH BY INCH. - 3 STOOGES.
'Niagara Falls; I Love Lucy'.

OK, so It goes back even further than I thought. (I hadn't ever seen A&C do the routine...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slowly_I_Turned
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote:Alders, maples, conifers are wind-pollinated; apples, cherries, and almonds need insects.
And the wind-pollinate ones need to LOTS of pollen to make sure of getting enough hits, which is why there are times of the year around here when our cars turn yellow with tree spooge.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jeffepp wrote:
jwhouk wrote:"Oh no, not again!" - Jon Hurt, Spaceballs
"Oh no, not again" - bowl of petunias, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
A bowl of John Hurts, then?
TheDOCTOR wrote:First Digit the spider gets turned into a Human-type Girl, who looks Perfect for this comic, and now Reginald the butterfly changes into a Hunky Boyfriend for Castella.
For all we know, he could end up being a horrible person, or just not compatible with Castela, or end up dating Dietzel.

Though it would be interesting to hear what sorts of conversations the ex-butterfly and the ex-spider have together.
"I think my uncle Harold met you once."
"Oh yes, I remember him. . .he was delicious."
lake_wrangler wrote:
scantrontb wrote:Reginald can't seem to hold his shape-shift when he thinks he's gonna see Pickle naked...
Not quite: the sparks start to fly (i.e. the transformation begins) in the second panel, before she ever mentions changing to her PJs. While it could be conceivable that he would think of the fact that she may want to get changed before bed, the assumption, until proven otherwise (i.e. in the third panel's speech bubble), would be that she would go somewhere else to change. So it's highly unlikely that it was the thought of seeing Pickle naked that initiated the transformation.
We've yet to see if transforming is an ability of his own, or if it's something that was done to him (perhaps by the root-beer). Both situations bring up so many possibilities and potential hijinks.
eee wrote:(On the one hand, it is GOOD that the Pickle is once again in control of herself, and taking herself to task for being unaware. On the other hand, how could she not notice Reg was going off like the world's biggest Sparkler next to her? For a being of such immense sensory abilities her blind spots are stunning.)
Perhaps the one saving grace about Castela is that she always seems to think first about how to protect and help others when things go wrong, such as her immediate reaction to get young Atsali to safety in the Q Room or her concern over Reginald's health and safety when she almost fried him. Even so, a twitchy Whatsit could be a definite health hazard, and getting that in hand is an important step if she wants to be able to move around in society safely.

Hmmm, twitchy Whatsit. . .

Lilac hair and grayish lips,
Sparks fly from her fingertips.
Scary movies late at night:
She's a restless spirit in an endless fright.

Wooohooo twitchy Whatsit,
Adrenaline high.
She got kaboom in her vines.

She saw the movies late at night:
Scary shadows and firelight,
Crazy laughter and eerie screams,
And she drove herself to madness with the silver screen!

Adrenaline high.

I know you want a lover,
But let me tell you brother
She's been flirting with a butterfly.
And there's some rumours going round,
At the slightest sound
She can blast you with her plasma 'til your skin's all fried.

Adrenaline high.

I'll let you imagine Timothy dressed up as 1970's Don Henley and singing.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:Alders, maples, conifers are wind-pollinated; apples, cherries, and almonds need insects.
And the wind-pollinate ones need to LOTS of pollen to make sure of getting enough hits, which is why there are times of the year around here when our cars turn yellow with tree spooge.
Yep.

In the now-ended webcomic Queen of Wands, Shannon described it as "twisted tree bukkake". (Caution: last word NSFW . . . the comic isn't exactly safe, either . . .)

--FreeFlier