She'll take that under advisement 2017-06-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Opus the Poet

She'll take that under advisement 2017-06-30

Post by Opus the Poet »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/shell-take ... dvisement/

Cheeky thing isn't she? Kinda like her mother.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Atomic

Re: She'll take that under advisement 2017-06-30

Post by Atomic »

Oh darlin ... it's one thing to stand your ground, it's another to trample someone else's. This is all in good sport, I hope, because burning bridges is not always useful. You may travel them again someday!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Demolishing bridges is rarely as easy as burning them.

Case in point: There was a bridge here in Little Rock that was close to a hundred years old that was deemed structurally unsound, so they did some cutting and placed some charges to make it collapse in on itself.

Charges blew... Bridge was still standing. Took a couple tugboats pulling on it for a decent amount of time before the damn thing actually collapsed. "Structurally unsound," my ass...

Giving someone the finger won't accomplish much for very long. Even the feeling of satisfaction wears off after a moment or two.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I just figured it was a game between friends and family. When mine gets together to play a game the insults and such get hot and heavy. We firmly live by the code winning isnt everything but losing sucks.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

oldmanmickey wrote:I just figured it was a game between friends and family. When mine gets together to play a game the insults and such get hot and heavy. We firmly live by the code winning isnt everything but losing sucks.
It's still tagged "Monica's Island", so anyone there would come under "Friends of family".
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Another thing I noticed was Castela's use of the thumb to index finger during the 'bird';

it almost reads like "F. U., Okay?
AnotherFairportfan

Somehow, i'm visualising Connie on the other side of the net.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

TazManiac wrote:Another thing I noticed was Castela's use of the thumb to index finger during the 'bird';

Yeah, that and the body language suggest this gesture is directed someone she at least tolerates.
AnotherFairportfan

AmriloJim wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Another thing I noticed was Castela's use of the thumb to index finger during the 'bird';

Yeah, that and the body language suggest this gesture is directed someone she at least tolerates.
Well - Monica's Island.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Alkarii wrote:Demolishing bridges is rarely as easy as burning them.

Case in point: There was a bridge here in Little Rock that was close to a hundred years old that was deemed structurally unsound, so they did some cutting and placed some charges to make it collapse in on itself.

Charges blew... Bridge was still standing. Took a couple tugboats pulling on it for a decent amount of time before the damn thing actually collapsed. "Structurally unsound," my ass....
I remember that one, the deck was falling apart and it was deemed financially unsound to replace the deck alone because of what was needed to get the old deck out and a new deck in. Bridge was fine as long as you didn't need to cross over it.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

A similar thing happened out here on the West Coast where a winter storm season damaged a bridge out on Highway 1; the wrecking ball was dropped on the old (and china-like tight crystalline matrixed) bridge, only to have it bounce off, ringing the structure like a bell...

fyi- Concrete/Cement is kinda crumbly when first cured, but over time it continues to 'harden', eventually becoming more bone-china like...

In fact, I'm told, extending the time it takes to do that initial curing process is key to a good result down the road. (Cover the wet concrete w/ a quilt and hose it wet...). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete#Curing

btw- Castela's outfit is 4th of July worthy...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

The most common way of messing up concrete is letting it dry out too soon . . . the longer it takes to dry, the better the cure.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Really? Then the deck must have deteriorated pretty quickly in a fairly recent time, or in a location where a person on it wouldn't notice. I'd gone over it not too long before it was slated for demolition, and nothing seemed off about it that I could recall.

But then again, I normally use the I-30 bridge to get to the north side of the river. Much wider, and the only time I can recall actually needing that bridge was either to get to a place to turn around (because I still don't know my way around downtown) and when I Was heading home after seeing the most recent Slipknot concert.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TazManiac wrote:fyi- Concrete/Cement is kinda crumbly when first cured, but over time it continues to 'harden', eventually becoming more bone-china like...

In fact, I'm told, extending the time it takes to do that initial curing process is key to a good result down the road. (Cover the wet concrete w/ a quilt and hose it wet...). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete#Curing
the important point being that concrete doesn't really dry... instead, the molecular structure slowly changes, with the water being incorporated in the structure. As a result, more water - to a point, of course - makes for harder, stronger concrete. So you really don't want water evaporating from the surface.

(A cement kiln basically heats the stuff up enough that the water dissociates and evaporates, leaving something that can be easily ground up.)
AnotherFairportfan

Concrete is, in fact, a gel.