With Me. Now 2017-06-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Cheesy1

With Me. Now 2017-06-16

Post by Cheesy1 »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/with-me-now/

But I thought Bryn liked Katherine being freaky? :P

Edit:
Ack, the title and the url of the comic got changed!
Last edited by Cheesy1 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Excuse Me 2017-06-16

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Not three-naming her.

Yet.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Huh.

The page WAS there. And now it isn't.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Welp, seeing how intimidating her new girl is is our of the way now, can they go back to being giggily and cute please?

Also Bryn Anderson. Huh.
TheCollector

Re: With Me. Now 2017-06-16

Post by TheCollector »

Also also, Adulting. Lol :D
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

On FB about an hour ago, Jim O'Malley wrote: BTW, Paul, does our flirty educator have a last name?
Looks like I got an answer....
AnotherFairportfan

Sort of reminds me of Atsali having a little conversation with Castela in the school hall a while ago.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Somehow i am picturing the other room as Kath basically saying the power of mother compels you. Given that she has what 5 souls combined in her that has to be some serious compelling power. Wonder if she will live a lifetime for each soul?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

I can see Bryn's point. That is one powerful and effective Mom's Voice.

Kinda the verbal-discipline version of a precision laser-guided underground-detonating bunker-buster, with the automatic clean-up attachment and dust suppression system.

... and the echoes ringing off of the distant hills sound oddly like someone murmuring "You may have seriously underestimated this lady."
oldmanmickey wrote:Somehow i am picturing the other room as Kath basically saying the power of mother compels you. Given that she has what 5 souls combined in her that has to be some serious compelling power. Wonder if she will live a lifetime for each soul?
I'm thinking "sheer force of personality" here. I don't think she had to use compulsion per se (in any paranormal sense)... just express her displeasure and disappointment and her opinion of Castela's behavior.

Whether it has to do with being a hexa-chimera or not, Kath has shown herself to be a formidable woman... starting from just after Atsali kicked her in the nose.

Kids test the boundaries. It's the parents' job to set them (fairly) and explain them. I think Kath just did some very pointed explaining.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I still see an amazing transformation- not just in style, but nature as well- between now and THIS- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/09192003/
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Gee. I really hope this doesn't scare Bryn off. They looked so happy together the previous three pages.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I still see an amazing transformation- not just in style, but nature as well- between now and THIS- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/09192003/
Oh, definitely... quite amazing indeed.

Thing is, we've been shown that the Kath-of-then was living in a state of extreme psychological shock... severe PTSD from the trauma of having barely survived when her archaeological team was gunned down. Apparently she reacted by hiding: "climbing into a shell" and becoming an extreme recluse. It took her years to climb her way back out. Mapimi was the turning point. As Jin might have said, that was the moment when Kath chose to stop just existing, and live again.

One wonders what her life might have been like, if she hadn't been traumatized like that, and spent years hiding away from the world.
TheCollector wrote:Gee. I really hope this doesn't scare Bryn off. They looked so happy together the previous three pages.
She might appreciate Kath even more, now that she's seen her strength.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

It is very possible i think that the school and thus Bryn had no info that Kath was anything other than a normal ordinary human female.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
eee

Post by eee »

oldmanmickey wrote:It is very possible i think that the school and thus Bryn had no info that Kath was anything other than a normal ordinary human female.
I am doubtful. Castela and Atsali appear to be two of the heaviest hitters in a school full of heavy hitters: Fae, the children of Greek gods, things we don't have mythological references to identify with. Logically the school - an MiB facility, after all - would be concerned about the home life of such beings and would know something of what it involved. I suspect Bryn knew of Kath before she - literally - got intimate with her. There WAS, after all, the incident where Kath jumped into the middle of a field hockey match to yank Atsali out before her predator instincts got someone hurt; that would have been something the school principal would have remembered. Bryn just may not have known how strong Kath's personality and Mom-ability are.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:I still see an amazing transformation- not just in style, but nature as well- between now and THIS- http://wapsisquare.com/comic/09192003/
Oh, definitely... quite amazing indeed.

Thing is, we've been shown that the Kath-of-then was living in a state of extreme psychological shock... severe PTSD from the trauma of having barely survived when her archaeological team was gunned down. Apparently she reacted by hiding: "climbing into a shell" and becoming an extreme recluse. It took her years to climb her way back out. Mapimi was the turning point. As Jin might have said, that was the moment when Kath chose to stop just existing, and live again.

One wonders what her life might have been like, if she hadn't been traumatized like that, and spent years hiding away from the world.
I actually have a little problem here - did she already have a PhD and was working on a second?

Or did she finish her PhD even while suffering severe PTSD?

Because i'm pretty sure she was on that dig as a grad student.

=================

Also - we've been told she was an aircraft tech in the Air Force ... but was she?

Setting her own broken nose and putting Atsali's dislocated shoulder back almost casually, planning that bit with the choppers...

==================

Nah. "The name's Gilchrist - Katherine Gilchrist," just doesn't have the right ring.
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Or did she finish her PhD even while suffering severe PTSD?

Because i'm pretty sure she was on that dig as a grad student.
Hmmm. Could it have been what they call "post-doc" research? An additional project, after completing the Ph.D requirements?
Also - we've been <i>told</i> she was an aircraft tech in the Air Force ... but <i>was</i> she?

Setting her own broken nose and putting Atsali's dislocated shoulder back almost casually, planning that bit with the choppers...

==================

Nah. "The name's Gilchrist - Katherine Gilchrist," just doesn't have the right ring.
Dunno why. She certainly bonded well with Atsali and Castela.

You're right, though... there's probably more to her story than we have been told so far. Considering her unusual origin, and the fact that MIB played a big role in her upbringing, there are likely to be some surprises.

And, who knows... maybe her multi-person chimeral nature has contributed to her personality transformations over the years. In one sense she is a multiple personality, more profoundly than the occasional human genetic (tetragametic) chimera... perhaps her "reclusive creepy wallflower" and "strong, confident, and willing to cuss like a sailor" phases reflect the natures of two or more of the babies who were merged during her creation.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Dr. Gilchrist definitely has a lot more depth and history to her than we have been shown.
Not only do we have no clue as to what led to the gunship/A10 incident, we are also confronted with what might be a unique psychology.
Temperament is an heritable quality, and Kathrine has access to multiple sources. Her seemingly radical changes may simply reflect which temperament is dominant at any given time, and she may be able to bring an alternate one to the fore given the right circumstances.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Wolf-who-watches wrote:One knows someone who does that.

Death-from-silence is frightening, even to closest-pack.
Yes. But she chooses.

--FreeFlier
Treesong

Post by Treesong »

Someone posted a 'scientists are doomsayers' post, to which I posted an intemperate rebuttal, which was properly deleted. I have posted another reply that I think is within bounds. If it's deleted as off-topic, I ask that the previous post be deleted for the same reason.
Is there any way to edit or delete a comment?
Last edited by Treesong on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Cheesy1 wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/with-me-now/

But I thought Bryn liked Katherine being freaky? :P

Edit:
Ack, the title and the url of the comic got changed!
Yeah, but what was the previous Name?
Pt II-
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Not three-naming her.
Yet.
There was a time when all of the guys (Sharpshooters in the Clock Towers, fellas 'not' on the Grassy Knoll, etc...) all seemed to be named in the Papers and the National Evening (TV) News as having Three Full Names.