Nice Story 2012-10-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Re: Nice Story 2012-10-12

Post by Atomic »

I suspect Monica may simply laugh!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Leak

Post by Leak »

davids4250 wrote:My first thought was that Bud had ripped out M's spine, ala Russell Edgington from True Blood.
"*Doom* *Gloom* Now time for the weather. Tiffany?"

:D
DrSpooN

Post by DrSpooN »

That'll show her!

-DrS-
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Haylo wrote:From another thread...
MerchManDan wrote:
nerf-dweller wrote:And the irony of the situation just hit me. Monica doesn't believe in ghosts. And now she is one. :lol:
HOLY SMOKES, you're right!! :o Well, looks like she believes now - unless she's prepared to deny her own existance.
In some magic/supernatural schemes, a spirit without (or maybe separated from?) a body has to believe in its own existance to continue to exist. What if the immediate danger Monica faces is spending substantial time as a "ghost" while denying it, with the possibility of just going out like a snuffed candle from lack of belief in her own existance?
That is exactly what happened to the constipated ghost of Ayn Rand.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Cyberpawz

Post by Cyberpawz »

All I can say is they had better be right, otherwise they have some splaning to do...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Totally, completely and absolutely 100% (in)accurate prediction for Monday's comic:

Panel 1: Monica - [Insert swear word of choice] Bud, that hurts!
Panel 2: [Silent beat panel]
Panel 3: Monica - Wait a minute: how is it I'm still able to talk to you???
Shelly: See? Told you so!
Panel 4: [Monica faints]
Bud: Well, I guess we can't keep her safe from fainting...

Jay-Em wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Bud, sweetie, the expression is "reach out and touch someone" not "reach through". :shock:
I'm guessing she'll owe Monica a good heartfelt apology, when it's all said and done. And not just a half-hearted one, either...

Drops important signs into the pun jar... so important, in fact, one might call them vital...
Ohkay.. Nów You did it. The Pun-Jar has sublimated and gone into a non-euclidial dimension, out of a heartfelt fear of exploding.... In short: It fled.
Boy, I feel so special, now... :mrgreen:
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Well, I was going to say that Bud and Monica were now going to have a heart-to-heart chat.

Then I remembered that Bud doesn't have a heart anymore.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Fear Not! Bud did not damage the superbra! (If, that is, what you are worried about.)
As we saw on 2012-10-9, "How Dangerous," Monica is dressed in lingerie without the superbra, allowing the girls to be somewhat more 'relaxed' appearing (as Shelly silently observes.)

Carry on. You're welcome.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

My2Cents wrote:Well, I was going to say that Bud and Monica were now going to have a heart-to-heart chat.

NOW she does.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

For what it's worth:

1 - Absent a pulse, a well oxygenated brain will stay conscious for about 15 seconds. This applies to the "exposure to vacuum of space" as well, because there the cells loose the pressure difference needed to exchange oxygen/carbon dioxide despite the heart beat.

2 - No doubt the heart-ectomy was nearly instant, so, without a heartbeat, there is no way for any adrenalin surge to reach the brain. During those 15 seconds, Monica won't have the adrenalin jitters from the sudden surprise.

3 - The strike was mainly blunt trauma, torn flesh aside. As with any hard hit, there tends to be a lag between the physical sensation and the pain cascade. Allowing the pain doesn't overwhelm her, M will actually have a chance to sit down and think about it for a few moments.

4 - Her diaphragm muscle and lung space are compromised, so she can't speak beyond faint sound as her lungs collapse. The rib cage integrity is mostly gone as well. I'll presume Shelly (using Sphinx speed) went in to one side of the spinal column and out the sternum. Monica would likely collapse forward as she sits / legs collapse if the arm is removed.

And now, the weather! Cool autumn night throughout most of the region with lows in the lower 40s. Cloudy by morning with a chance of rain in the northeast. Winds becoming gusty from the southwest by afternoon with increasing chance of screaming, etheric firestorms, and knowledgeable smirking from those in the know, the smug bastards. Then again, she earned it. So there.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
illiad

Post by illiad »

NOTDilbert wrote:Fear Not! Bud did not damage the superbra! (If, that is, what you are worried about.)
.. and if you are still not sure, the superbra is only for sports, to stop unhealthy movement.. Would *you* wear 'very tight underwear' all the time? on a hot day, I would prefer movement and ventilation... :)
illiad

Post by illiad »

to paraphrase.. :D :D
Atomic wrote:For what it's worth:

1 - Absent a pulse, a well oxygenated brain will stay conscious for about 15 seconds. This applies to the "exposure to vacuum of space" as well, because there the cells loose the pressure difference needed to exchange oxygen/carbon dioxide despite the heart beat.
...... {snip, snip..}

But Monica is immortal!! :D she has the phoenix blood!!! she is *nothing* like human!!! she is the jaguar girl!!!
--- More from our Mayan sponsor later..

And now, the weather! ..

Cool autumn night throughout most of the region with lows in the lower 40s. Cloudy by morning with a chance of sonic booms, that is fairly normal for this area. Winds becoming gusty from the southwest by afternoon with increasing chance of screaming, apotraic firestorms, and knowledgeable smirking from those in the know, the smug bastards. Sure wish I had that rack, damn B%$%"*&..
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Bud and Shelly are both (astral-)fireproof, right? Because the situation (if going by lore) will heat up *very* soon, and *very* much.

*dropping an unneeded zippo into the pun-jar*
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I'd be very surprised if the dogs Shelley and Justin had a run-in with weren't breathing astral fire. Especially since they didn't burn down the building.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

My2Cents wrote:Well, I was going to say that Bud and Monica were now going to have a heart-to-heart chat.

Actually, at the moment Bud has a heart. It's Monica who doesn't. . . .
Forklifter

Post by Forklifter »

If Monica survives this, I don't see why Bud would still think she still needs to guard her. It would seem guarding her isn't required any more.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Aleister Crow wrote:I'd be very surprised if the dogs Shelley and Justin had a run-in with weren't breathing astral fire. Especially since they didn't burn down the building.
But then again, the hellhound fire did burn off Shelly's & Justin's clothes, and would've roasted them as well if they weren't immortal. Exactly why it didn't wreck the place is speculation (to me, it looked like it was made of stone).
Here, we see that even though Mon was surrounded by astral fire, her bedroom & clothing (such as it is) remains intact. At least, her shirt was intact until Bud forced her hand. So to speak.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Forklifter wrote:If Monica survives this, I don't see why Bud would still think she still needs to guard her. It would seem guarding her isn't required any more.
For everything there is a counter-something. She may be immune to most of what may be thrown at her, even from supernaturals, but not necessarily all. It may well be Bia, or other Titans, could still do her in. And what about the head? Can she "recover" from the loss of that most vital of all organs, the brain? If she did and grew a new head, would she still even be Monica anymore. Justin grew a new brain, but he wasn't really who he was to begin with any longer. I think she will still need protection from some threats. The GGs still have job security for now.

Does make me wonder, though. Since her essence can be separated from her body, could she inhabit a new body and still be Monica that way? Or, can her body regenerate a new head while Monica-essence sits it out in the astral waiting room? Then move back in after that, restoring her brain pathways to what they were in the process. But then, is she vulnerable during the ghost phase? Oh heck, this sort of speculation goes on forever. :roll:
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:Does make me wonder, though. Since her essence can be separated from her body, could she inhabit a new body and still be Monica that way? Or, can her body regenerate a new head while Monica-essence sits it out in the astral waiting room? Then move back in after that, restoring her brain pathways to what they were in the process. But then, is she vulnerable during the ghost phase? Oh heck, this sort of speculation goes on forever. :roll:
Shelly-and-Conscience are an example for two sentiences attached to the same body.

For that matter, so is the Chimera, Zeus-and-Athena, and quite a bit of the rest of Titanic myth.

Paul... may have... a n s w e r s.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There is one thing that I realized after looking back: Bud is probably very expert in knowing how to remove the heart without doing much damage to the rest of the body.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin