Settled Then 2017/05/23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Gyrrakavian

Settled Then 2017/05/23

Post by Gyrrakavian »

link
Wow! It's been awhile since I've started a thread.

I wonder why Atsali is so scared of meeting a full succubus? Is it something to do with succubi tails?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Opus the Poet

Re: Settled Then 2017/05/23

Post by Opus the Poet »

You think she's afraid of meeting her "own kind"? As in "sparks flying" afraid? Nadette doesn't see any problems but her "sight" is known to be faulty when it comes to herself. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I think Stali is getting succubus confused with nymphomaniac.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Has Atsali ever met another succubus or incubus? (Other than her parents.)

And don't tempt fate.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Based on the glimpses of Skylar we've gotten as pinups over the last eight months or a year, either she conforms at least somewhat to the succubus stereotype, or she wants to seem like it:

Skylar, October 2016:
Skylar.jpg
Skylar.jpg (84.4 KiB) Viewed 11166 times
December 2016:
skylar2.jpg
skylar2.jpg (110.99 KiB) Viewed 11166 times
April 2017:
romper stomper.jpg
romper stomper.jpg (110.32 KiB) Viewed 11166 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ah, the famous Turtleneck Shoulderpad sweater! Just the thing for discerning succubi everywhere. Guaranteed to keep your sensitive collarbones and armpits toasty warm, and fashionable!

Tape optional.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
eee

Post by eee »

And Atsali goes for the tackle!

Hm. I hadn't noticed that Skylar's horns had a different pattern in October and December. I wonder if she can control that mentally or if it's make-up. And I'm still puzzled about the "X's". Is she using electrician's tape? Is that natural? Is it artistic censorship? Dashed odd, whatever they are.
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:And Atsali goes for the tackle!
The "No! Don't ever ask 'What's the worst that could happen?'! Even a Seer must not tempt the Gods like that!!" tackle.
I hadn't noticed that Skylar's horns had a different pattern in October and December. I wonder if she can control that mentally or if it's make-up.
Fashion accessories from a booth at the Mall?

Given the existence of a whole bunch of humanoid Para races, it seems not-unlikely that there a portion of the fashion industry that caters to them... some accessories to help out with the Masquerade, and some for use when the Paras are at home of socializing in their native forms.
AnotherFairportfan

eee wrote: And I'm still puzzled about the "X's". Is she using electrician's tape? Is that natural? Is it artistic censorship? Dashed odd, whatever they are.
They look a lot like tbe electrician's tape that WOW uzed wben sbe was fronting the Plasmatics, and also like the electrician's tape knes a girl Susan and Sarah met back in about '06 or so at ComiCon was sllrtingt. {That was in "El Goonish Shive NP".}

Let me get to the computer, and i'll fetch up some references.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

No, that's actually nipple tape. Not even kidding.

It's my understanding that it's a type of tape with a fairly weak adhesive, like on adhesive bandages. It's meant to allow exposure of the breasts without showing the nipple.

The two vocalists of Butcher Babies used to perform in panties, stockings, heels, and nipple tape, but they abandoned the look after having the glue melt while getting sunburned. That, and they wanted their family members to come to a show.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Sarah and Susan at SDCC, 2006:

{Observe carefully background details}

==================

I'm pretty sure Wendy Williams used electrician's tape.
Thor

Post by Thor »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: April 2017:
romper stomper.jpg
Ewww. Smoking? In this day and age?

I wonder if that will be part of a conflict between roommates?
AnotherFairportfan

Thor wrote:
romper stomper.jpg

Adult Castela smokes cigars.

I assume she smokes cigars made of tobacco.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Could be clove cigarettes or another legal herbal . . . Kinnikinnik (sp?) maybe?

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Castela, age 21
castela21.JPG
castela21.JPG (97.16 KiB) Viewed 11078 times
Thor

Post by Thor »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Thor wrote:
romper stomper.jpg

Adult Castela smokes cigars.

I assume she smokes cigars made of tobacco.
Cigars and cigarette are usually two different beasts as far as the way they are consumed. The typical American cigar smoker under the age of 60 usually only smokes a cigar occasionally, as an affectation. The typical American cigarette smoker smokes them continually, as an addiction.

Also, there is the question of self-harm. Castela, as far as we know, is virtually invulnerable and immortal. But succubi? We don't know. Maybe there's a fireproof-demon-thingy going on that makes smoking harmless to a succubus, and so no grave damage is done. But some paranormals seem to be as frail and fragile as humans, and what harms a human would also harm them. Currently there's no reason not to believe that boiling hot tar and ash are wreaking havoc on Skylar's lungs, so this reflects poorly on Skylar's sense of judgment and self-care.

But really the biggest deal is the stench. Even if she is a "considerate" smoker and always goes outside and makes sure she is always downwind of anyone close by, cigarette smoke still clings to the smoker, and when they come back inside, the smoker and everything they are wearing slowly outgasses, spreading the smell of the smoke to everything else in the room. Yes, this happens with cigars as well, but as mentioned, cigar smokers usually don't smoke as often. Add this to the fact that we don't know what 21yo Castela's living circumstances are, but Skylar is going to be sharing a very small room with Atsali very soon, and unless Atsali is one of those very few non-smokers who don't care, it can easily become a source of friction between them.

Of course, Grandma Lily seems to smoke like a chimney (and since she is a vampire, there are no health impacts, at least on her) and no one on the island has been seen to complain so far, so maybe it is a non-issue after all. Maybe.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Gyrrakavian wrote:I wonder why Atsali is so scared of meeting a full succubus? Is it something to do with succubi tails?
She might be afraid that this will be a stereotypical succubus, and that her new roommate will try to seduce her.

She might be afraid that this will be a stereotypical succubus, and that her new roommate will seduce her, and that will affect her relationship with Nadette.

She might be afraid that Nadette might be afraid that this will be a stereotypical succubus, and that her new roommate will try to seduce her.

I wonder what Skylar thought upon learning who her roommate is going to be, though. As far as we know, Skylar's just a typical not-well-known kid. Atsali, on the other hand, regularly hangs out with the big names in the paranormal community, and there are apparently all sorts of rumours about her adventures. Who knows what Skylar may have heard about her future roommate, and what she thinks about that? She could feel as though she's going to be stuck living with the paranormal version of one of the Kardashians, or Lara Croft, or who knows who depending on what she may have heard.
eee wrote:Hm. I hadn't noticed that Skylar's horns had a different pattern in October and December. I wonder if she can control that mentally or if it's make-up.
I expect that it's the horned paranormal's version of painting one's fingernails. The local corner Paramart probably carries all sorts of cosmetic paints and decals for that sort of thing.
eee wrote:And I'm still puzzled about the "X's". Is she using electrician's tape? Is that natural? Is it artistic censorship? Dashed odd, whatever they are.
Perhaps she likes treasure maps?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Nipple tape is applied that way because the second piece helps secure it across the nipple, possibly because it maximizes coverage and grip at the same time.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

The use of Tape to cover 'unmentionables' (nipples) is a very old thing; the 'X' is both an aesthetic and practical measure.

The only more common item is the Pasty, which had evolved to include tassels hanging from the tip.

These days they are very much falling into disuse as it's either 'Show Em!' or 'Cover Em!'.

The Pasties market has grown into selling more 'make them less demonstrable' appliqués; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasties#Underwear

Viva la Difference...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:The only more common item is the Pasty, which had evolved to include tassels hanging from the tip.
Not to be confused with "pastries", though such confusion could potentially lead to some interesting situations.