Settled Then 2017/05/23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Settled Then 2017/05/23

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:The only more common item is the Pasty, which had evolved to include tassels hanging from the tip.
Not to be confused with "pastries", though such confusion could potentially lead to some interesting situations.
...or, for that matter, pasties.

{Which were traditionally dyed a bright pink.}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:The only more common item is the Pasty, which had evolved to include tassels hanging from the tip.
Not to be confused with "pastries", though such confusion could potentially lead to some interesting situations.
...or, for that matter, pasties.

{Which were traditionally dyed a bright pink.}
And to add more confusion to the mix the Pasty I'm familiar with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

^ That's the kind I learned about from Alton Brown (singular "pasty"). He blamed the Welsh.

Not sure who's to blame for the singular "pastie" things (Taz spelled it wrong). :twisted:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Typeminer wrote:^ That's the kind I learned about from Alton Brown (singular "pasty"). He blamed the Welsh.

Not sure who's to blame for the singular "pastie" things (Taz spelled it wrong). :twisted:
The Wikipedia article i linked said they were Irish.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Catawampus wrote:
Also not to be confused with the Cornish pasty - which is the Celtic version of dim sum, potstickers, sandwiches, calzone, etc.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Typeminer wrote:^ That's the kind I learned about from Alton Brown (singular "pasty"). He blamed the Welsh.

Sorry, 'Pasties' as plural seemed to fall to 'Pasty' as a singular. At least in my built in Thesaurus/Spellcheck Mechanism...
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:

Sorry, 'Pasties' as plural seemed to fall to 'Pasty' as a singular. At least in my built in Thesaurus/Spellcheck Mechanism...
You are expecting logical construction of plurals in words that originate in the British Isles?
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:You are expecting logical construction of plurals in words that originate in the British Isles?
Why, certainly. It's all very logical. All you have to do is consider the numerous languages from which the root words were adopted, and apply a few simple rules.

Words with origins in Latin, will use the pluralization rules derived from Norse languages (Icelandic in particular). Words with origins in the northern Romance languages (French, Breton, and Manx) will be pluralized as if they were being spoken in Welsh by an Irishman originally raised in Romania. Words with Celtic roots normally use Swahili plurals, unless you are using them in conversation at a card table during a game of Dragon Poker and have two jacks in your hand, in which case Kirk punches you every time you try to pronounce them.

It's really quite simple.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Atsali: "Wow, this bakery can't spell for beans!"
[enters shop as Nadette protests while being dragged in]
[hillairty ensues]
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(Sorry, I was distracted by the boobies...)

Taz toddles off to cackle in a most juvenile fashion...