No Way 2017-05-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
illiad

Re: No Way 2017-05-02

Post by illiad »

Thor wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
...and that's why no one knew the place existed for at least seven years? It was a hidden treasure that only those who had earned the secret knowledge could enjoy?

There's benches, sure, but maybe it was intended as a place where teachers and staff could come and eat. That would make sense, as adults would not require supervision like minor children would.
The main reason is they have A LOT of other things to do, making sure students are not distracted... and yes, fliers MAY be 'aware' of the roof, but more aware of important stuff like the thing they are chasing, and who is attacking... :P
Thor

Post by Thor »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I'm sorry - that kind of attempt to reconcile continuity is almost as futile as trying to figure out the relationships between Harlock, Maetel and Esmerelda.
I wasn't trying to reconcile anything.

I was just pointing out that time was all out of joint.

And then I was told I had to prove it.

So I did.

And unless the author wants to go back and do a ridiculous amount of retconning, it is something we all just need to shrug and accept, like so many other continuity violations we shrug and accept in our fiction. (See also, Marvel Comics, Harry Potter, Star Trek, and Star Wars.)
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Thor, the main daily discussions over at my forum have seen so many blatant continuity and plausibility issues that the prevailing attitude has evolved into, "Don't worry about it... just enjoy the pretty pictures."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I always prefer to look for a plausible explanation of how things in a fictional universe could work.

However, sometimes there's no choice but to bow to "rule of cool", "rule of funny", authorial fiat, and other such things. I just accept it.

Sometimes this makes things difficult for the fanfic authors. But we can usually work with it. For example, the best sleepover ever page sparked a discussion of non-magical healing and medical care for shapeshifters (the bandage on Atsali's wing doesn't really make sense - we ended up going with "rule of funny") and that discussion is significant to some scenes I currently have in process.

(Yes, "A Stable Relationship" is progressing and I do know roughly how it's going to end. And I have another story in process that I might move into the Extended Wapsiverse.)
illiad

Post by illiad »

NOTE: the sticking plaster/bandage/ etc is a tvtrope :)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Monica should be somewhere in her mid-to-late 30's now, as should a great deal of the older cast.

It's entirely possible that Kevin could have instances where he goes out to eat with Bud, and comments are made about "is this your daughter?"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Monica should be somewhere in her mid-to-late 30's now, as should a great deal of the older cast.
The age Monica resets to when she dies has been said to be twenty-nine.

If Wapsi Time ran one-to-one with Real Word Time, Katherine would be forty-seven this year, since the Mapimi Event was 1970.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

There's actually a very simple explanation:
  • It's astounding
    Time is fleeting
    Madness takes it's toll...

But listen closely...
    Not for very much longer...
    I've got to keep control.

I remember doing the Time Warp.
    Drinking those moments when
    The blackness would hit me.

And the void would be calling.
    Let's do the Time Warp again.

It's just a jump to the left.
    And then a step to the right.
    Put your hand on your hips.
    You bring your knees in tight.

But it's the pelvic thrust.
    That really drives you insane.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Madness takes its toll . . . exact change only.

--FreeFlier