By Fae Magic 2017-04-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

By Fae Magic 2017-04-12

Post by Dave »

Atomic

Re: By Fae Magic 2017-04-12

Post by Atomic »

Not another one for her collection, we hope?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And the spider lady strikes.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I was wondering how she'd react.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:Not another one for her collection, we hope?
Honkin' BIG pin...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Atomic wrote:Not another one for her collection, we hope?
Honkin' BIG pin...
If we see her staggering down the street hauling a Mason jar the size of a 55-gallon drum, and a liter or two of ethyl acetate... worry.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I thought Katherine already knew about Digit's situation... Why is she acting now like this is news to her?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:I thought Katherine already knew about Digit's situation... Why is she acting now like this is news to her?
Either she wasn't filled in on all of the details of Digit's situation, or else she hadn't been aware that Atsali was going to school with Digit and sees some sort of an opportunity.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Sounds like she knew it in general but had no details and wasn't aware it would impact the girls.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Kath is practically drooling, there. And in full on predator mode. Arachnophilia indeed.

Oh, and, unlike Atsali, she is well aware of personal space boundaries. She seems to be prepared to violate a lot of... boundaries... at the moment.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Hmmm . . . I wonder if the conflict will be Katherine vs. Atsali, with both Atsali and Digit oblivious in different ways . . .

--FreeFlier
illiad

Post by illiad »

Hmmm, hmmm... I wonder if digit would *recognize* her from 'spider reports'... ??? :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

jeffepp wrote:Kath is practically drooling, there. And in full on predator mode. Arachnophilia indeed.
I'm not convinced it's "predator mode".

Kath has had a fascination with spiders for years, yes, and as I recall she's collected them... but this is her first chance to actually interact with one as a peer. She may just be agog with the possibility of being able to hear and learn a "spider's-eye" perspective on the world.

After the sympathetic and responsible way she reacted to Atsali's status as an orphanage child, and the way she didn't bat an eyelash at adopting Castela at the same time, I'd be really surprised if she acted in a predatory way towards Digit.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

If I'm remembering correctly, Katherine was scared of spiders and collecting them was how she coped . . .

--FreeFlier
Thor

Post by Thor »

I think you are all missing the real story here.

Atsali is describing what happened to her today in the following way: "But I did hear from Abbie that there's a new student. And that she's actually a spider that who was turned into a human by fae magic!"

So if we go back to the actual events of "today" we find two major discrepancies:
  1. Atsali did not just merely hear about this student, she both met and manhandled her.
  2. Atsali's hair was cut short during school, but was back to its full-length non-Euclidean classic swoosh by late afternoon.
This shows that continuity is becoming inconsistent, and therefore that the rules of Time And Space are being unraveled, in an unmistakable sign of the End Times. :shock:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thor wrote:I think you are all missing the real story here.

Atsali is describing what happened to her today in the following way: "But I did hear from Abbie that there's a new student. And that she's actually a spider that who was turned into a human by fae magic!"

So if we go back to the actual events of "today" we find two major discrepancies:
  1. Atsali did not just merely hear about this student, she both met and manhandled her.
  2. Atsali's hair was cut short during school, but was back to its full-length non-Euclidean classic swoosh by late afternoon.
This shows that continuity is becoming inconsistent, and therefore that the rules of Time And Space are being unraveled, in an unmistakable sign of the End Times. :shock:
"Objection, Your Honor. Argument assumes facts not in evidence."

Your first discrepancy is a discrepancy if, and only if, we accept the following lemmas:
  • Atsali remembers her interaction with Digit accurately.
  • Atsali is telling Kath the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, about what she remembers of her interaction with Digit.
I suspect that the first lemma is supportable. I don't think we have any evidence that Atsali suffers from memory problems.

It's on your second lemma that I think your argument fails, as this lemma assumes things about the nature of teenagers that I don't think are entirely supportable. Atsali could very well be minimizing what she says about her interaction with Digit ("rewriting history"), and I think she may have a motive to do so. It could, for example, be rather uncomfortable for her to admit to Kath that she charged into that meeting like a rampaging water buffalo, overwhelmed Digit with her turbo-powered burst of invasive curiosity, and was unceremoniously hauled away and told "Leave!" by an Abbie who's only about two-thirds her size. Should she admit this, she probably knows that she's in line for at least a motherly cluck-cluck-you-know-better-than-that-dear from Kath. As the !tang say, "O the embarrassment!"

As to her hair... you're assuming that its cross-section view (with no hair down below the shoulders) implies that it was cut short. Note how her hair extends up above the top of the panel in the strip, and is hidden behind the fourth-wall crossbar. I suggest that it's entirely possible that Continuity approved this, as a way of suggesting that her hair has flopped up out of view as a result of her sudden stop from high-velocity travel upon arrival (a high-velocity arrival which Digit commented on, and which was sufficient to wind-drag Cricket's hair out sideways!)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: . . .
  • Atsali is telling Kath the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, about what she remembers of her interaction with Digit.
I suspect that the first lemma is supportable. I don't think we have any evidence that Atsali suffers from memory problems. . . .
And most people will minimize embarrassing behavior without thinking about it . . . because it's embarrassing!
Dave wrote: . . . As the !tang say, "O the embarrassment!" . . .
Beware residual attacks of cabbageness.

Which is better than losing your feet.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:
Dave wrote: . . .
I suspect that the first lemma is supportable. I don't think we have any evidence that Atsali suffers from memory problems. . . .
And most people will minimize embarrassing behavior without thinking about it . . . because it's embarrassing!
Yup.

I think I called it - both the fact that Atsali was embarrassed, and that Kath is gleefully eager to meet Digit and hear her perspectives!
Holuvasin

Post by Holuvasin »

lol Katherine is on some crazy shit