Phoenix blood 2012-10-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Phoenix blood 2012-10-10

Post by Fairportfan »

Oh, goodie. Another precinct heard from.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Re: Phoenix blood 2012-10-10

Post by Boxilar »

Makes sense. She can ressurect herself with fire.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Oh, hell.

Well the comic now pauses so all the characters can move to Egypt, cause Monica' gonna live in DeNile, and she ain't comin' back soon.....

Edit: Also, she can now call Shelly "Cousin Shelly."
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

NOTDilbert wrote:Oh, hell.

Well the comic now pauses so all the characters can move to Egypt, cause Monica' gonna live in DeNile, and she ain't comin' back soon.....
Nah. M may be stubborn, but when presented with un-De Nile able evidence, she usually comes around.

Eventually.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Oh boy. Titans wielding "astral fire?" PHOENIX BLOOD?!?! And the incorrigible expressions on the faces of Bud & Shelly are not helping.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:Oh boy. Titans wielding "astral fire?" PHOENIX BLOOD?!?! And the incorrigible expressions on the faces of Bud & Shelly are not helping.
Shelly IS having a good time, isn't she?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Monica = Phoenix? Wait for Kevin to use the word "bub". :lol:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I wonder if Shelly can wield "astral fire". Now I wanna see her in a flaming Sphinx form. Damn it.
Fairportfan wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Oh boy. Titans wielding "astral fire?" PHOENIX BLOOD?!?! And the incorrigible expressions on the faces of Bud & Shelly are not helping.
Shelly IS having a good time, isn't she?
All in good fun. They are enjoying tearing down Monica's missconceptions about herself, mainly because she's being such a stubborn @$$ about the whole "I'm not dangerous" thing. Monica is one of the big dogs, kind of like a Great Dane that is insisting that she is a Chiuaua.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bud looks like she is pleased that she has another friend that wont die on her anytime in the immediate centuries.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Mark N wrote:Bud looks like she is pleased that she has another friend that wont die on her anytime in the immediate centuries.
One of her closest friends is no longer a "soap bubble". She's going to lose Jin, but Shelly and Monica and Brandi will be around.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Boxilar wrote:
Mark N wrote:Bud looks like she is pleased that she has another friend that wont die on her anytime in the immediate centuries.
One of her closest friends is no longer a "soap bubble". She's going to lose Jin, but Shelly and Monica and Brandi will be around.
Maybe she won't lose Jin - the McGuffin Gadget may yet have other uses than psychotherapy.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Boxilar wrote:They are enjoying tearing down Monica's missconceptions about herself, mainly because she's being such a stubborn @$$ about the whole "I'm not dangerous" thing. Monica is one of the big dogs, kind of like a Great Dane that is insisting that she is a Chiuaua.
Hmm. Come to think of it, this seems to mirror Shelly's struggle to accept that - despite* being part sphinx - she doesn't need to be dangerous to those around her.
I'm sure somebody's noticed that already, though; apologies for skimming the comments of the last few days.

*or because she's only part sphinx, for that matter
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

MerchManDan wrote:
Boxilar wrote:They are enjoying tearing down Monica's missconceptions about herself, mainly because she's being such a stubborn @$$ about the whole "I'm not dangerous" thing. Monica is one of the big dogs, kind of like a Great Dane that is insisting that she is a Chiuaua.
Hmm. Come to think of it, this seems to mirror Shelly's struggle to accept that - despite* being part sphinx - she doesn't need to be dangerous to those around her.
I'm sure somebody's noticed that already, though; apologies for skimming the comments of the last few days.

*or because she's only part sphinx, for that matter
It is an interesting contrast. Both dealt very differentlly with the reveal of thier true power, Shelly by being scared she was too powerful, M by insisting she isn't powerful at all. I wonder if Monica is going to swing to the other extreme once she finally gets it?
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

shadowinthelight wrote:Monica = Phoenix? Wait for Kevin to use the word "bub". :lol:
But it's Jin's boyfriend that has the sideburns? Wait... Oooooooo I sense an impending Schism in the scoobies!

As to M's self defense magic, that is nothing new. From "dodging" bullets, to surviving explosions with only minor scratches and burns, the others have been pointing this out to her for years.

Last and not least, anyone else notice that Shelly is using her shape-shifting powers to be taller? She was only slightly taller that Monica, and was at boob-to-face level with Bud and Brandy. (OK, more Brandy than Bud, due to Bud's lack of..., well that's a discussion for another thread.)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Boxilar wrote:
Maybe she won't lose Jin - the McGuffin Gadget may yet have other uses than psychotherapy.....
Jin's current wish is to grow old and die. She's been through so much, lost so much, that she's ready for it to end. She loves Allen, has finally found someone that she dosen't have to give up for the "greater good". But he is mortal. He will grow old and die, and I don't think she wants to out live him. May probably could have corrected Jin's mental problems without resetting her to default human mode. She chose to do so because that's what her daughter wanted. It was a Mother's gift of love to her daughter. May is willing to lose her daughter because that's what Jin wants. I think that even if it's possible to reverse the reset, May wouldn't do it for those reasons.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Was wondering for a moment about the redundancy of Monica having a spike in her head keeping her from dying and an ancestry that allows her to auto-resurrect, but it's obvious, isn't it?

If she cannot die, the full phoenix is never triggered, and anyone in the vicinity is spared the destruction that would result.

And now I'm trying to compose a tasteful Harry Potter vibrator joke. Not sure it can be done.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

jeffepp wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Monica = Phoenix? Wait for Kevin to use the word "bub". :lol:
But it's Jin's boyfriend that has the sideburns? Wait... Oooooooo I sense an impending Schism in the scoobies!

As to M's self defense magic, that is nothing new. From "dodging" bullets, to surviving explosions with only minor scratches and burns, the others have been pointing this out to her for years.

Last and not least, anyone else notice that Shelly is using her shape-shifting powers to be taller? She was only slightly taller that Monica, and was at boob-to-face level with Bud and Brandy. (OK, more Brandy than Bud, due to Bud's lack of..., well that's a discussion for another thread.)
Phix seems to play around with her human form a bit, as well as her Sphinx form. She shrank herself to fit in Monica's living room and once held a conversation with M in the library where she deleted her wings entirely. Now that Shelly has accepted her Sphinxyness, she may be stretching her legs, so to speak. :D
Yamara wrote:Was wondering for a moment about the redundancy of Monica having a spike in her head keeping her from dying and an ancestry that allows her to auto-resurrect, but it's obvious, isn't it?

If she cannot die, the full phoenix is never triggered, and anyone in the vicinity is spared the destruction that would result.

And now I'm trying to compose a tasteful Harry Potter vibrator joke. Not sure it can be done.
Yeah, I'd set that one down and just...walk away.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

So now the question: Does Monica relate her own feelings of pathetic-ness towards Titans in general, and assume this plus Phix's One-Hit KO of Bia means Titans are equally pathetic? Or does Monica just assume she is the most pathetic of the Titans?

- - - - -

Also in situations like this, I can't wait for the day Monica finally decides to abuse her power when her friends are being smug. Nothing serious or dramatic, just payback for the smugness.
Monica: "Bud. Bop Shelly on the head for me. That's an order."
Kinda like how Tina did to Shelly when they encountered Nudge pre-Shellynx. Only intentional yet not foolish enough to actually say "kill her".
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

sonicthunder wrote:So now the question: Does Monica relate her own feelings of pathetic-ness towards Titans in general, and assume this plus Phix's One-Hit KO of Bia means Titans are equally pathetic? Or does Monica just assume she is the most pathetic of the Titans?

- - - - -

Also in situations like this, I can't wait for the day Monica finally decides to abuse her power when her friends are being smug. Nothing serious or dramatic, just payback for the smugness.
Monica: "Bud. Bop Shelly on the head for me. That's an order."
Kinda like how Tina did to Shelly when they encountered Nudge pre-Shellynx. Only intentional yet not foolish enough to actually say "kill her".
I see your point, but I think Shelly at least has a little payback coming towards Monica. At least for the "promise you'll kill her quickly," and "you have about thirty seconds to sort your shit," incidents. These are friends that are essentially family through shared experience, and they are all stubbourn and obstinate. They all have needed this form of good natured "world view realignment". Nobody is being malicious here, Bud and Shelly are just employing thier smugness to further the greater good.

To your first point, M is obstinate, but once she sees the light, she doesn't generally remain blind. She will finally take them at thier word. It's just gonna be a minute.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

NOTDilbert wrote:Oh, hell.

Edit: Also, she can now call Shelly "Cousin Shelly."
I know I do.

But I think it's more that Monica has Phoenix blood, a vastly under-represented Mythic in our little paneled contempo dramedy. The only thing Titanic about Ms V is the obvious.