Ready For School 2017-04-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Ready For School 2017-04-04

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Alexie Aaron is an author of paranormal romances. . .
"Romance" in the older sense, as in Le Morte d'Arthur or Orlando furioso, or "romance" in the more modern sense, as in all those well-worn paperbacks on the rack at the library that feature curvy women in well-ventilated clothing falling into the embrace of shirtless muscular men? Or a bit of both?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Alexie Aaron is an author of paranormal romances. . .
"Romance" in the older sense, as in Le Morte d'Arthur or Orlando furioso, or "romance" in the more modern sense, as in all those well-worn paperbacks on the rack at the library that feature curvy women in well-ventilated clothing falling into the embrace of shirtless muscular men? Or a bit of both?
"Romance" as in the publishing category.

The wikipedia article lists \some authors others include Charlaine Harris, whose "Sookie Stackhouse" novels inspired the (vastly inferior) TV series "True Blood", Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews, and Carrie Vaughan.

Also Maryjanice Davidson, whose "Betsy, Queen of the Vampires" series started out as a true hoot and lasted quite a while before it jumped the shark, and whose "Alaska" series, set in an alternate universe where Alaska is an independent kingdom, while not paranormal, are fun, too.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

You're a brave guy, FPF. Or else these are a better quality subgenre than the romance novels I used to be underpaid to proofread. :mrgreen:

The "historical" lines, I'd be watching over my shoulder for the anachronism police. :roll:

But most disturbing were the "shopping and fucking" numbers. Good evidence that there really are people living on another planet. :shock:

Led me to declare that if I'm going to read something completely implausible for fun, it might as well have FTL drive and photon weapons. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

In one game of Changeling, the storyteller ruled that the troll could eat a barrel of plating sludge without ill effect . . . but he was seriously ill for nearly a week when someone fed him a romance novel.

(And if you feed the ferret pooka a case of Pixie Stix, the sonic boom will level downtown Seattle.)

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:In one game of Changeling, the storyteller ruled that the troll could eat a barrel of plating sludge without ill effect . . . but he was seriously ill for nearly a week when someone fed him a romance novel.
As one familiar with that particular game, I would say this seems quite appropriate.
(And if you feed the ferret pooka a case of Pixie Stix, the sonic boom will level downtown Seattle.)
Yeesh. But better a ferret than a fennec. Those little foxes make Jack Russell Terriers look sedate.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote: . . .
FreeFlier wrote:(And if you feed the ferret pooka a case of Pixie Stix, the sonic boom will level downtown Seattle.)
Yeesh. But better a ferret than a fennec. Those little foxes make Jack Russell Terriers look sedate.
Ummmm . . . have you ever been around a ferret?

By comparison with a ferret, Jack Russells are positively sedate.

The ferret and the mongoose share the motto "Run and find out!"

--FreeFlier
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

DilyV wrote:Personally I foresee problems with Digit's name... Well, not so much her name as people's acceptance of that being her name. I mean everyone has a realistic name when you look at it, right? Except maybe Phix, but then she doesn't spend too much time in the human world. I'm worried for Digit... this will be her first real exposure to large groups of people for extended periods of time. I hope she'll be okay.
Or they'll assume her parents were being weird. Celebreties, hippies, yuppies, and druggies give their kids some pretty weird names sometimes (just ask Moon Unit).

You know those missing persons posters with all of the kids on them that some Walmarts have? I was saw some poor girl on one who got saddled with 'Blue Clear Sky' for her legal name.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
DilyV wrote:Or they'll assume her parents were being weird. Celebreties, hippies, yuppies, and druggies give their kids some pretty weird names sometimes (just ask Moon Unit).

You know those missing persons posters with all of the kids on them that some Walmarts have? I was saw some poor girl on one who got saddled with 'Blue Clear Sky' for her legal name.
To say nothing of Fee-5 Graumans Chinese.

"Appropriate" name selection is very much a social thing. It's quite common in Hispanic cultures to name a boy "Jesus", and in Bhutan quite a few men are "Pema" (flower), but neither would be commonly thought of as appropriate boy-names in Anglo culture.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I knew a Lightbulb Winders.

He said that's what his parents named him.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Chrysanthemum Thirty-Five.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
"Appropriate" name selection is very much a social thing. It's quite common in Hispanic cultures to name a boy "Jesus", and in Bhutan quite a few men are "Pema" (flower), but neither would be commonly thought of as appropriate boy-names in Anglo culture.
In English, Joshua is the equivalent. "Josh" or "Jesse" being the familiar. The Spanish pronunciation is "HAYsoos". "Jesus" in English is actually Latin- he would have answered to "YeSHUah".... "YeSHUah ben YOseph" being the full name.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.