Spider Gal 2017-03-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Spider Gal 2017-03-17

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote:Apparently she can still understand english . . . I wonder if she can speak it?
She might need to learn how human mouthparts work first. And learn how other human parts work in general, too.
Akasha wrote:i just really really hope her dietary requrements will be well adjusted to her new situation, it would be awkward to find larger animals or even ... anyway ... cocooned up and being slowly digested so she can simply suck them dry ... and lets not forget the fact that spiders silk comes ( well not exactly out of, but it looks like ) out of their asses ;) i daresee the one or other complication in the immediate future, not to mention the time after that ...
"Digit, quit picking the smashed bugs off the car grilles and eating them! That is not the behaviour of a proper young lady!"
Gyrrakavian wrote:Many breeds are on par with human three year-olds, with some individuals on par with 4 or even 5 year-olds.
And show more sense and intelligence than many humans who are considered to be adults. . .
GlytchMeister wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:If it made Digit into a spider-girl, what might it have done to Dietzel?
I'm assuming it would have worked as intended for Dietzel.

Let's look at it this way - magic is indistinguishable from sufficiently advanced technology, right? Well, what happens when you throw someone who doesn't know a lick of chemistry into a chemical laboratory and tell them to have at it? Chaos. Nobody knows. They might cause explosions, or accidentally create a super acid, or poison themselves so thoroughly their remains will not, in fact, push up daisies. Or... Nothing might happen. Or something underwhelming might happen. Maybe they stab themselves in the hand trying to put a glass tube through a rubber stopper. Maybe they drop a beaker of base on the floor and slip on it and get a concussion. Maybe they just sit there, terrified, until you get bored and take them out.
Expanding on the chemistry analogy:

Imagine a lab that has a big carboy of water that they use to dilute the nitric acid that they get shipped in. If it is used as directed on the chemicals that it is supposed to be used on, then it works exactly as advertised.

But then some guy decides to just start dumping the water into any and every jar of chemicals that he can find. The water will still work like water and do what water does, but now it has other unplanned reactions going on in the mix. You can end up with a reaction that is totally different from the one you get when diluting acid.
Dave wrote:
Drakkenmensch wrote:Does that mean that Monica now has her own adoptive daughter? <3
She's probably "in loco parentis" to Digit, at least for now.

Which is strangely appropriate.
Digit would be an adult in spider age. She might be annoyed at suddenly being considered a kid.
illiad

Post by illiad »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:I will point out that DinkyDietzel doesn't need opposable thumbs to text . . . he just has to step on the buttons carefully.

Taking the top off the water bottle back in the dawn of time, OTOH, is a much better indicator.

--FreeFlier
Sitting playing Nintendo, which i think was in that same sequence, is even spookier.
yes, he may well be Monica's spirit guardian..

but DON'T tell anyone, he is just a dog!!! :D :D
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:
Drakkenmensch wrote:Does that mean that Monica now has her own adoptive daughter? <3
She's probably "in loco parentis" to Digit, at least for now.

Which is strangely appropriate.
Particularly the "loco".... :mrgreen:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

At least Monica has experience helping raise kids now . . . At least one exceptionally obtuse siren . . . Which can't be that much worse than a spider turned into a girl.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Okay, Ms Gilchrist has been officially dethroned as "cutest creepy girl".

Or is that "creepiest cute girl"?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Okay, Ms Gilchrist has been officially dethroned as "cutest creepy girl".

Or is that "creepiest cute girl"?
That wont happen. Katherine is who Tina brings over on my Birthday.

Spider Gal qualifies as tops in other categories though...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Those look a lot like thumbs to me... he's not just stepping on buttons, he's got an actual grip on a videogame controller handle.

Just A Dog, he is not... and, I think, never has been in the time we've known him.

AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

That's what i was remembering.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

There are probably multiple magics involved somewhere. We've had a time skip of years and both Dietzel and Digit seem just as spry as ever. Also both are seem uncommonly intelligent compared to those found in the mundane world.

It could be as simple as a somewhat para-dog that found his way into Monica's life and the jumping spiders native to the Library are just unusual that way, but you wouldn't be barking up the wrong tree to suggest that one could spin a web of tales out of the possibilities.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dietzel was bitten by a radioactive Library spider?

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Armorlord, we not only have unusually intelligent dogs and spiders, we have a pun jar that demands an appropriate payment...