Quiet Time 2017-03-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Quiet Time 2017-03-15

Post by jwhouk »

To quote Armorlord:

Well, that didn't take long.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Re: Quiet Time 2017-03-15

Post by FreeFlier »

Didn't take as long as I thought . . .

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

So hey... what could POSSIBLY go wrong... go wrong...go wrong... (VRRRRITHPH!!! CLACK!)
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

The spider is already its normal size. So if it's a "restore normal size" talisman, no problem.

Therefore, it isn't. It's a "make big" talisman.
Dave

Post by Dave »

OK, I admit it. I'm a bit slow this week. (Shaddap you, Sarge!)

When Cricket handed Monica that nicely-crafted little box, said "I want to give you this emergency talisman", and said to put it on Dietzel's head if she ever needed to return him to normal size ...

... my reaction was "That poor dog is going to look very strange, with what looks like a tiny pirate's chest perched on top of his head. Will she open it, and drape the lid down the back of his neck? No, that won't look any less strange. Cricket may be a whiz-bang magic user, but her fashion sense is as bad as Tsillah's."

Oh. The talisman isn't the box itself. The talisman is in the box. That's very different. :?

Clearly I need a vacation. :roll:
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

If i walked out of the bathroom and saw a human sized spider i would be needing another shower
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

oldmanmickey wrote:If i walked out of the bathroom and saw a human sized spider i would be needing another shower

Dog-sized, and I would be needing a mop and a shovel.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

DIGIT!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

and hilarity shall ensue....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

FreeFlier wrote:
Didn't take as long as I thought . . .

--FreeFlier
Not at all. Though, I seem to recall someone saying something among the lines of wanting a dog-sized Digit/spider as a pet back when Digit was first introduced.

Also, here's hoping Monica's first reaction isn't 'breathe fire'.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
eee

Post by eee »

Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER!!

I'm sure everything will turn out fine... :shock:
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

Tiny spider puts on ring that can permanently enlarge a bug to dog size. What could possibly go wrong?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Drakkenmensch wrote:Tiny spider puts on ring that can permanently enlarge a bug to dog size. What could possibly go wrong?
Square-Cube Law?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Drakkenmensch wrote:Tiny spider puts on ring that can permanently enlarge a bug to dog size. What could possibly go wrong?
Square-Cube Law?
Rule of Funny says not.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:
Square-Cube Law?
Rule of Funny says not.
If that law applied to the effects of Fae magic, I doubt that Dietzel would have survived. Mammals don't do well at that small a size, as their bodies lose heat too fast, and their tiny bodies need an extremely high metabolic rate to make up the loss (and age quickly as a result). Voles don't live very long...

(Pablo just published Friday's strip to his Patreon supporters. Trust me, it shows one hell of an Oops, deals with the square/cube law quite nicely, and fully justifies the cost of being a Patron! :) Oh, and yes, Little D apparently still has opposable thumbs.)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Square-Cube Law?
I'd expect that a well-made talisman that increases the wearer's mass would also include some sort of sub-programs that keep any sort of unpleasant physical or biological side effects from happening. One that's not made with care and skill, on the other hand. . .
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Catawampus wrote:
Square-Cube Law?
I'd expect that a well-made talisman that increases the wearer's mass would also include some sort of sub-programs that keep any sort of unpleasant physical or biological side effects from happening. One that's not made with care and skill, on the other hand. . .
Or a magical experimental prototype...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!