For a month 2017-03-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: For a month 2017-03-13

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Actually, that's hardly a pun, just a use of an older meaning of the word. Although, that particular definition is still used in heraldry.

In this case, the pun jar owes Dave.
Thank you!

To keep the balance moving, and to honor the mention of heraldry, I'll point out that we have no reason to believe that either Berdine or Nadette is left-handed. All evidence to date suggests that their parents are married.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Actually, that's hardly a pun, just a use of an older meaning of the word. Although, that particular definition is still used in heraldry.

In this case, the pun jar owes Dave.
Thank you!

To keep the balance moving, and to honor the mention of heraldry, I'll point out that we have no reason to believe that either Berdine or Nadette is left-handed. All evidence to date suggests that their parents are married.
And I'll mention that, contrary to popular belief, the Bar Sinister or Bend Sinister was never actually used in british heraldry to indicate illegitimacy . . . Not to mention that a Bar cannot be either sinister nor dexter.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I wasn't even thinking about legitimacy, only that sinister meant the left side.

Consequently, I had learned that left came from lyft, which meant "broken," or something like that, and using the left hand was believed to be a sign of demonic influence.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote: And I'll mention that, contrary to popular belief, the Bar Sinister or Bend Sinister was never actually used in british heraldry to indicate illegitimacy . . . Not to mention that a Bar cannot be either sinister nor dexter.

--FreeFlier
The first I ever heard of a "bar sinister" was something like 15 years after I studied heraldry.

The "bend sinister", on the other hand, I'd encountered years before studying heraldry.

I think the "bar sinister" is a relatively recent invention by someone who only thought they knew their terminology.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:The first I ever heard of a "bar sinister" was something like 15 years after I studied heraldry.

The "bend sinister", on the other hand, I'd encountered years before studying heraldry.

I think the "bar sinister" is a relatively recent invention by someone who only thought they knew their terminology.
Apparently, the "bend" in English heraldry was referred to as the "barre" in the French blazon tradition... hence "barre sinister". The transformation across languages to "bar sinister" is ascribed to Sir Walter Scott... so this would have taken place in the late 1700s or early 1800s.

There was at least some use of the baton sinister as an indication of bastard birth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Pl ... ount_Lisle
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

The term is still used by the necktie industry. Facing the wearer, a bar dextor tie's stripes are elevated on the left side; bar sinister is raised on the right.
In heraldry, the tie is symbolic of when the knights carried their lady’s scarf, or it signified their status in the nobility structure. The bar dextor is used by the nobility. The bar sinister is used by illegitimate offspring of the nobility, and other subjects of the queen.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote:
Warrl wrote:The first I ever heard of a "bar sinister" was something like 15 years after I studied heraldry.

Apparently, the "bend" in English heraldry was referred to as the "barre" in the French blazon tradition... hence "barre sinister". The transformation across languages to "bar sinister" is ascribed to Sir Walter Scott... so this would have taken place in the late 1700s or early 1800s.

There was at least some use of the baton sinister as an indication of bastard birth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Pl ... ount_Lisle
Arthur Fox-Davies, King of Arms, said the baton sinister was occasionally used so in English royal heraldry . . . but also cautioned that royal heraldry was a law unto itself.

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And Simon bar Sinister was the bad guy in numerous episodes of Underdog. I didn't find out until many years later that the character name was anti-semitic.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Warrl wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:Not only is the Pun Jar calling for tribute, you should apologize to Stanley Kirk Burrell and Rick James (whose melody Burrell sampled... err, stole).
Please clarify "you"...
Stanley, whoes been may things, including an 'Oakland Athletics Ball Boy' is also been known as 'MC Hammer'.

"Please Hammer, Don't hurt Em..." you know, stuff like that.

- quote mode: ON U Cant Touch This , on Wikipedia...
Production
The song samples the prominent opening riff of the Rick James song "Super Freak", which is repeated throughout the recording. The lyrics describe Hammer as having "toured around the world, from London to the Bay" and as being "magic on the mic", which Hammer says coincides with James' "beat that you can't touch". Additionally, the song lyrics "You can't touch this" and "Stop! Hammer time!" became pop culture catchphrases. Hammertime was later used as the title of a reality show starring Hammer on the A&E Network in the summer of 2009.[4]

The sample of "Super Freak" that forms the basis of the song led to Rick James and other performers on the original record to file a lawsuit for infringement of copyright. The suit was settled out of court when Hammer agreed to credit James as a songwriter, effectively granting James millions of dollars in royalties.[5]

The song was first performed publicly on a late 1989 episode of The Arsenio Hall Show.
[6]
- quote mode: OFF

(edit)
Seems Ive done absolutely nothing in resolving who 'You' is...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

"Bar sinister" sounds like a hangout for super villains. Kind of like in that one song by Your Favorite Martian.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.