How Dangerous 2012-10-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

How Dangerous 2012-10-09

Post by Atomic »

Welcome back, Monica! Feisty as ever...

Glad you ditched those curls and tap shoes!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Re: How Dangerous 2012-10-09

Post by Mark N »

I am just glad that this strip might be able to cool off the Shelly haters that have been cropping up. She gets a chance to explain why she has been dangling clues instead of just telling Monica everything. This also drops off the idea that Euryale is dangerous around others (well, those that don't deserve a good frosting at least).
Last edited by Mark N on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Um, Shelly, Monica's eyes aren't on her chest.
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

Boxilar wrote:Um, Shelly, Monica's eyes aren't on her chest.
Can you blame her?! CAN YOU?! :P

Shelly thought bubble: Whoa!... Not a lesbian! Not a lesbian!
(explanation + reference materials :) read linked and next panel http://www.grrlpowercomic.com/archives/601)
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

rootwalla wrote:

(explanation + reference materials :) read linked and next panel http://www.grrlpowercomic.com/archives/601)
After 80,000 years I'm willing to bet Shelly has come to terms with her sexuality, whatever that may be.
Dave

Post by Dave »

At this point, I'd expect Monica to have two clear questions to ask (if she really wants the answers, that is):

"Shelly, just exactly how am I dangerous? Please list all the ways, starting with the 'apocalyptic' and ending with the 'minor social annoyances'"

"Shelly, to your knowledge, precisely what am I able to do, that the average person on the street cannot?"

Monica started out from a very rationlistic, anti-magic point of view. She's been through a lot which has shaken her up, but she still seems rather reluctant at times to really come to grips with the true scope of the weird in the world and in her life... and in herself.

Possibly, the things that have occurred during the past few weeks have jolted her enough for her to want to truly understand who she us and what she is capable of, even if it's very unsettling knowledge to have to face. Denial may no longer seem as comfortable a haven as it was.
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

The point was not sexual confusion, rather a reminder to self :)

Then again, you could probably interpret her gaze as fascination... mayhap even fascination with the structural strengths of the nightshirt.
It certainly amazes me :D
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm still trying to figure out how Monica is "dangerous". Dang near immortal, true. But we have had immortal characters in Wapsi before and unless they had some other powers (like the GGG and their chimera powers) they weren't dangerous (think Tepoz and Kulkulcan). And poiting is not unknown among the cast either, several characters can poit, most better than M (remember Jin poiting M's body wastes and dirt to get ther ready for morning?).

So, we have another Big Reveal coming in the next 2 weeks...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Shelly was either trying to figure out if there was ever a good time to fill Moni in on all her potential, and isn't even focusing on the pulchritudial balcony, or she's wondering how she can lean so far forward without doing a unintentional somersault.
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

kingklash wrote:Shelly was either trying to figure out if there was ever a good time to fill Moni in on all her potential, and isn't even focusing on the pulchritudial balcony, or she's wondering how she can lean so far forward without doing a unintentional somersault.
A point to you sir, for spotting the potential acrobatics angle! :lol:
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

kingklash wrote:Shelly was either trying to figure out if there was ever a good time to fill Moni in on all her potential, and isn't even focusing on the pulchritudial balcony, or she's wondering how she can lean so far forward without doing a unintentional somersault.
Nah, wouldn't have been a somersault - just pitched forward until her head colided with Shelly's. Or with Shelly's lap. ;)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

We still don't know any more. Is she actually immortal or does Shelly mean she just won't die prematurely? Hopefully we'll find out why she is dangerous this week, but I'm not counting on it.

I'm thinking, if she is immortal, what she just went through may be her emergence as a butterfly. That is, she shucked off the human frailty she had been experiencing lately and is now physically ready for eternity. A flaming metamorphosis took place, ending her existence as a mere human. She just doesn't know it yet. At least she seems to be losing those Bia eyes.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Wait, I'm confused.

"At what point would you have had me tell you?"

2 reasons this confuses me.

1) Monica was acting intoxicated since Euryale's most recent freezing, but wasn't unconscious. Given all her intoxicated instances with Jin, Monica may provoke danger but she'll still acknowledge when someone's talking to her while wrecked.

2) Nothing yet really indicates Shelly's knowledge of Monica or Euryale are newly discovered. That gives Shelly pretty much any point in time since Shelly returned from the Sphinx forest to reveal this to Monica. Especially since Shelly's seen Euryale around Monica before today.

Is there something I'm overlooking? I hope I'm just being dense, since Monica (or more importantly, Bud) should have tossed that right in Shelly's face before she finished that sentence.
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

SELECT SUM(all_previous_posts) FROM topic;
RESULT> We. Are. Over. Thinking. It.
:?
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

rootwalla wrote:SELECT SUM(all_previous_posts) FROM topic;
RESULT> We. Are. Over. Thinking. It.
:?
Well, duh.

Otherwise, where's the fun? :lol:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Casey

Post by Casey »

I don't think Shelly's question is "when would I have had the opportunity to tell you," but rather, "when would have been a good time to tell you?" After all, half the time, Monica is trying to avoid anything related to the supernatural. When she's in that mode, are you going to all the sudden say, "Oh, by the way, you're immortal."

On the other hand I could be mistaken. Another possibility is that Shelly learned this during her last visit with Phix, off panel before Monica and Euryale showed up. If that is the case, there was literally not an opportunity for Shelly to pass that information on to Monica. They didn't talk at all between that incident and the scene at the beach, and when Shelly brought the subject up then, Monica displayed that she was not ready to talk about it.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: (..)

I'm thinking, if she is immortal, what she just went through may be her emergence as a butterfly. That is, she shucked off the human frailty she had been experiencing lately and is now physically ready for eternity. A flaming metamorphosis took place, ending her existence as a mere human. She just doesn't know it yet. At least she seems to be losing those Bia eyes.
That sounds..... Quite plausible. There has been a major transformation. Like a Phoenix, M rose from the fire, a new phase in her life has started now.

Back to general discussion: On M being powerful/dangerous? I still have no clue as to how that should be. Only if her "poiting" knows no boundaries. In thát case, yeah, she'd be prety powerful. Imagine her poiting an entire galaxy into the center of a black hole... Rather unsettling. Or poiting someone (a titan?) inside-out.. Yuck..

By the by, the sudden Shelly-hate was rather funny. And very Shelly-like. Shelly was alsó quick to Express her convictions ("Those monsters" anyone remember that? Making Bud cry?) right or wrong.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
illiad

Post by illiad »

rootwalla wrote:

:D well, grrlpowercomic has proportions that are much more realistic, while NOT real life, Wapsiverse toon physics apply... hips waaaaay to small, giant heads, and the *rest* :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen: If I find a girl like that well, you may not see me for a looooong time..... :P :P :D
NebulousRikulau

Post by NebulousRikulau »

Shelley wrote:"At what point would you have had me tell you?"
Shelley WAS trying to tell her.
At the beach, after Monica was getting over seeing Phix in a rage.
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/jaguar-girl/
And Monica just blew her off. "Dangerous? Me? HA!!"
chalcara

Post by chalcara »

The point's honesty, support and trust, Shelly, you know, what friendship's about?

I can't stand Shelly right now the same reason I cannot stand Nudge: Keeping things away from others because it's easier, even "for their own good" takes away what makes a person a person: The ability to make informed decision for themselves. It's treating them as animals to be trained as opposed to friends.

Shelly should've at least tried to warn Monica, even if it's just a "Monica, you're supposed to be a Jaguar girl, it's important, do some frigging research into it". - If Monica would've headed it would've been her own decision. But keeping it away from Monica because it's easier, that's not the action of a friend.

I wouldn't be able to trust or even want to be in the same room as her if I'd found out she knew something that important to my future and didn't tell me because "there was no point".