Can't post comments on the comic

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
hawk1966

Can't post comments on the comic

Post by hawk1966 »

Logged into the forums, it forgets me if I change my password, logged in so I have a Gravatar. My comments just won't post. Never received any kind of ban notice. Never said anything as far as I know that would cause a problem. Very confused.
Dave

Re: Can't post comments on the comic

Post by Dave »

I'm unclear... are you having a problem here on the forum, or a problem posting a comment in the main site comments section for the day? The two use different mechanisms for identifying posters. Here, you must log in; on the main site you must manually enter your name and (for a Gravatar) email address, at least once. The main site will not pick up your identity from your login here on the forum site.

In either case you must have site cookies enabled.

You might try: clear your browser's cookie cache, close the browser, launch it again, then log back into the main strip web site. Make sure you don't block cookies from the site or from Gravatar, or block script actions from those domains (e.g. using NoScript). If necessary, whitelist those domains in your blocking configurations.

Did what you tried to post, include a URL (or more than one)? This can cause the comic site to hold your message for a manual check and approval by the moderator... it's a way of deterring forum spammers.
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

Posts on the main site to the daily comic. Never had a problem, then switched laptops. Gravatar is logged in, posted with email more than once. Might even have had posts appear from the new laptop, not 100% sure. I've posted with my site's URL since the beginning. I'll try leaving it out.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Did you remember to tell it to remember you when you come back?

(Hey, sometimes it's the easy things.)

--FreeFlier
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

FreeFlier wrote:Did you remember to tell it to remember you when you come back?

(Hey, sometimes it's the easy things.)
I don't see that option but it remembers my details username, site URL, etc. Posts just don't go through.
Dave

Post by Dave »

What browser are you using?

Are you using any sort of security-related plugin or filter, which might be blocking some cookies, limiting some scripts, etc.?

Are you operating behind any sort of HTTP proxy? (Possibly one that your ISP provides automatically, either with or without your knowledge)?
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

Dave wrote:What browser are you using?

Are you using any sort of security-related plugin or filter, which might be blocking some cookies, limiting some scripts, etc.?

Are you operating behind any sort of HTTP proxy? (Possibly one that your ISP provides automatically, either with or without your knowledge)?
Microsoft Edge, been using it on the site for months.
No plugins, cookies are accepted, it does remember the info I put in it just won't post comments.
No proxy, no VPN. Nothing's changed.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I don't do a lot of work on the front page, but I know that about a week ago, some glitches started happening with the main database. Paul hasn't been able to properly clear out the spammers.

I haven't traced the problem down yet, but it appears that the comments system may have been updated in wordpress, and caused some rather strange issues.

I'm trying to look into it, but I haven't had a lot of spare time for anything other than emergencies and RL(tm)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

Well, well. . . I consider it a itty bitty emergency that my wonderful comments are being kept from the public at large. :geek:
Thor

Post by Thor »

hawk1966 wrote:Logged into the forums, it forgets me if I change my password, logged in so I have a Gravatar. My comments just won't post. Never received any kind of ban notice. Never said anything as far as I know that would cause a problem. Very confused.
Have you tried turning the comic off and then back on again?

Did you make sure that all the connections to the comic were tight?
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

Thor wrote:Have you tried turning the comic off and then back on again?
Not quite sure what you mean by turning the comic off and on. The browser's opened and closed a dozen times a day.
My internet connection is rock solid at the laptop.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

hawk1966 wrote:
Thor wrote:Have you tried turning the comic off and then back on again?
Not quite sure what you mean by turning the comic off and on. The browser's opened and closed a dozen times a day.
My internet connection is rock solid at the laptop.
Those are standard questions most all tech support people will ask someone calling in with a computer problem.

They can also be the subject of jokes, wherein either doing so will solve the problem, and should have been done before calling, or asking those questions is completely irrelevant to the problem at hand. (There are other variations, of course, but those are the most obvious ones.)

I'll leave you to guess which kind of joke Thor was trying to make.
(Good one, Thor! 8-) :geek: )
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

Well I was able to post once on 'Timmy In The Well' as Hawk but now I can't post again on 'Spider Gal' (where I wanted to thank Paul and god for not, yet at least, letting me see a giant spider. . . even though I read the Xanth book with the giant Jumping Spider).

Oh and I purged my cache, cookies and rebooted my computer, router, cable modem and turned on and off every light in the house. I even opened and closed the fridge and freezer a dozen times each.
illiad

Post by illiad »

what browser are you using, and how about adblock??

If you use IE, there is one available, and Note adblockplus DOES allow 'acceptable adds' so you can let the 'good guys' through.. :)

more info in comments in this link..
http://download.cnet.com/Adblock-Plus-f ... 38563.html
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

illiad wrote:what browser are you using, and how about adblock??

If you use IE, there is one available, and Note adblockplus DOES allow 'acceptable adds' so you can let the 'good guys' through.. :)

Using Edge on Windows 10, no adblock except for popup blocking. No adblocking plugins/software.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

hawk1966 wrote:Oh and I purged my cache, cookies and rebooted my computer, router, cable modem and turned on and off every light in the house. I even opened and closed the fridge and freezer a dozen times each.
Ah, but did you turn the TV on and off, change the batteries in the remote control, open a large book and place a bookmark at page 231, and fog the place for bugs? Hmm? :twisted: :lol:
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

lake_wrangler wrote:
hawk1966 wrote:Oh and I purged my cache, cookies and rebooted my computer, router, cable modem and turned on and off every light in the house. I even opened and closed the fridge and freezer a dozen times each.
Ah, but did you turn the TV on and off, change the batteries in the remote control, open a large book and place a bookmark at page 231, and fog the place for bugs? Hmm? :twisted: :lol:
Well I was in the hospital overnight so I'm not sure about the TV. The batteries are waiting until hurricane season starts on June 1st and then everything with a battery gets a new one no matter what. I really don't have any large books, they're all in a closet blocked by a table. All myreading's done on a Kindle but I could open a big one and leave a bookmark. We had a paid bug service. This is Florida after all. I did lock and unlock every door and play the entire Jesus Christ Superstar album backwards which summoned Satan and I had him change the oil on my car and make us a meatloaf. . . sadly we didn't realize until later is was made OF Meatloaf. Tasted like a bat out of hell.
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

All joking aside, I really do want to be able to regularly comment on the comic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

hawk1966 wrote:
illiad wrote:what browser are you using, and how about adblock??

Using Edge on Windows 10, no adblock except for popup blocking. No adblocking plugins/software.
Yeuch... DO try any other... firefox, chrome, and if you hate Firefox australis, pale moon is nice...
hawk1966

Post by hawk1966 »

illiad wrote:Yeuch... DO try any other... firefox, chrome, and if you hate Firefox australis, pale moon is nice...
It's not the browser. I've posted with it numerous times. I just posted the other day with it. I hate having more than one browser. IE hiding in the background annoys the hell out of me. I was a Netscape fanboy until the ruined it and gave up and went back to MSIE. My bank required it. Several sites looked horrible in anything but IE so I used that and got used to it. Then Edge came along and I liked it. So that's my choice of browser and I really don't want another browser and I doubt it's the problem.