Stop That 2017-03-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Stop That 2017-03-01

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

FreeFlier wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:I'm remembering Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky, with its Ramsbotham Gates, where the protagonist attends high school somewhere in the eastern half of the country, as i recall, and livves in a house overlooking the Grand Canyon...
FreeFlier wrote:I don't want to think about how jetlagged you'd get just going to school every day . . .
illiad wrote:Since it takes 'seconds' to get home, surely no big effect??? Its the hours on the plane that does it??
AnotherFairportfan wrote:So long as you don't try to live on two separate time zones.
Jetlag is because your body clock doesn't agree with local time as defined by the sun. And for most people, the effects are worst going east, and less going west.

Slower means of transport don't do it as much because your body has longer to adapt.

And actually, if you spent longer on the plane, jet lag would be reduced . . . and if you stay within the same timezone, the effects are reduced.

--FreeFlier
I never suffered from jet lag, even flying trans-Atlantic. (Of course, the last time i did that was twenty-four years ago, so i might not be quite as tough these days.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

There are multiple components to jet lag, but the big driver for most people is the time shift. That really gets to me, and dehydration doesn't.

And being young helps.

YMMV.

One of the executives here was notorious for being immune to jet lag . . . apparently nothing bothered him.

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I'm remembering Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky, with its Ramsbotham Gates, where the protagonist attends high school somewhere in the eastern half of the country, as i recall, and lives in a house overlooking the Grand Canyon...
He doesn't get too far into the day to day adaptation of the invention of Transfer Booths, but Larry Niven also had folks with very 'out of the way' houses, accessible in some cases, only by teleportation...
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:He doesn't get too far into the day to day adaptation of the invention of Transfer Booths, but Larry Niven also had folks with very 'out of the way' houses, accessible in some cases, only by teleportation...
I seem to recall that people in those stories would often have two different "phone numbers". One was for the homeowners and close family members - it would 'port you to a booth inside the house. The second was for visitors, which would 'port you to a locked booth (in effect, a vestibule) where you'd have to be let in by someone in the house.

The third booth number would, I presume, go to a booth mounted outside, hung out over the edge of a cliff, with no floor. It's the one you would leak to sales-people and door-to-door evangelists. Gotta keep those moat monsters well-fed. ;)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: . . . The third booth number would, I presume, go to a booth mounted outside, hung out over the edge of a cliff, with no floor. It's the one you would leak to sales-people and door-to-door evangelists. Gotta keep those moat monsters well-fed. ;)
Riot Control diverted all outgoing 'ports in a selected area to booths hung over the edge of a vast polished bowl . . . where the law could sort through everyone caught 'porting out at their leisure.

Riot Control eventually did in The Permanent Floating Riot.

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

FreeFlier wrote:
Dave wrote: . . . The third booth number would, I presume, go to a booth mounted outside, hung out over the edge of a cliff, with no floor. It's the one you would leak to sales-people and door-to-door evangelists. Gotta keep those moat monsters well-fed. ;)
Riot Control diverted all outgoing 'ports in a selected area to booths hung over the edge of a vast polished bowl . . . where the law could sort through everyone caught 'porting out at their leisure.

Riot Control eventually did in The Permanent Floating Riot.

--FreeFlier
Yeah, they made use of the old Sports Stadiums; you got diverted there, couldn't Dial Out, and only once you get in Queue and get Identified can you leave the place..