Nothing Serious 2012-10-08

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Nothing Serious 2012-10-08

Post by Fairportfan »

Okay.

Ummm - maybe "fatal", not "fatale"?

==============

EDIT to add:

Shelly says "You won't let you be hurt by anything. Nothing serious, anyway."

Well, yeah - this is the girl who generally has one or more Band-Aids about her person from nicks shaving her legs or whatever...

Interesting sentence construction - if Paul really meant so say "...let you be hurt..." and not "...let yourself be hurt...", the way it's phrased raises interesting speculations as to just how many people Monica really is.

I mean, it's like Shan yos'Galan, Captain Shan yos'Galan, Thodelm Shan yos'Galan and Master Trader Shan yos'Galan, all pretty much different people... but the same person
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Re: Nothing Serious 2012-10-08

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:Ummm - maybe "fatal", not "fatale"?
Probably. Monica is neither tall enough, slinky enough, or darkhaired enough to be the reincarnation of Natasha Fatale... even if she has had a rocky couple of weeks lately.

(deposits a small brick of upsidasium in the Pun Jar)

Edit: yeah, it does sound as if Monica is carrying along a lot of complexity from past events... the clock key spike, possibly multiple natures, some sort of seriously potent survival power (which may mean that her fear of Phix and Shelly was just getting her all wound up about nothing), and who knows what else?

We still don't know who really made that key that Shelly wielded.

It does seem that her New Years resolution, to not let the paranormal dominate her life, isn't going to be any easier to fulfill than it has been in the past.
Last edited by Dave on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Monica: "I already know that from the last dozen times you and the rest of my 'friends' tried to kill me."

So we'll have to wait for tomorrow to see why she became a ghost, and why said ghost was sporting a glove.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

When you spike the punch you get drunk. Apparently when you spike the Monica you get all sorts of crazy effects.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

So Dave was right...a sporting glove, as in a falconer's glove...let's see, some sort of etherial bird of prey...Monica is also known as Sunshine...Huitzilopochtli is the Aztec sun god and is also known as the Eagle (also the 'Lucid Macaw', my personal favorite)...so is she the incarnation/personification of the Aztec Sun God, here to fight for our 'humanity' when Quetzalcoatl comes back on Dec 12 to judge mankind?

Just a train of thought here...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:So Dave was right...a sporting glove, as in a falconer's glove...
Hmmm? Pablo said there was no glove (just a slip of the pen), and except for the fact that Monica seems a tad punch-drunk in the first panel I don't see any implication of any sort of glove here?
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Too bad the fire didn't do anything to the creepy 'staring eyes' wallpaper. :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

Err.. what?!

*trudges off to confusion corner

/petulant rant
Gimmeh teh explanatiuns! Nao!
/petulant rant off
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Oh dear. The confusion is getting worse by the day. :?

The confusion-corner is getting overcrowded too. I guess it's time for "Confusion-Ville" Where Wapsi-readers set-up tents, and ponder their collective bafflement.

Well. all in good time, I guess. There wíll be (some sort) of coherent explanation (I only hope I am intellectually capable enough to grasp it....)
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

"... spike in your head... won't let you die."

So she did, in a way, take Jin's place...

And to the risk of sounding like I'm saying "I told you so" to chalcara, it is nice to see just how much Shelly seems to care, in this strip, as she explains part of what took place.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

No, Shelley, don't explain "that incident". Start at the beginning and explain the whole thing! Sheesh...

Well, at any rate, looks like my conjecture about Monica already being dead was wrong.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
chalcara

Post by chalcara »

lake_wrangler wrote:"... spike in your head... won't let you die."

So she did, in a way, take Jin's place...

And to the risk of sounding like I'm saying "I told you so" to chalcara, it is nice to see just how much Shelly seems to care, in this strip, as she explains part of what took place.
Actually, Shelly still reads smug as fuck to me and not really caring at all. More "neener,neener, look what I know".

Thanks for the "told you so", though. :P
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

The spike. First time I've seen it mentioned since it got jammed in there. Or not in there, as the case may be. Oh my, I'm confused.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The spike is an anchor to M's soul.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
chalcara

Post by chalcara »

What I worry more is what Shelly said about our favourite gorgon, because it doesn't cast a good light on her.

If that last freeze would really have killed someone without special powers, then Euralye (sp?) was either in on the manipulation, has a severe lack of selfcontrol or (what I hope) she's simply criminally careless around Monica. Whatever it is, I hope she gets it under control.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

I love that "I gonna smack you." look on Monica's face as Shelly esplains what's happened. LOL
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Shelly, the "Answer Man". Its nice seeing Shelly in 'the Command Chair' for once. ;)
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

chalcara wrote:What I worry more is what Shelly said about our favourite gorgon, because it doesn't cast a good light on her.

If that last freeze would really have killed someone without special powers, then Euralye (sp?) was either in on the manipulation, has a severe lack of selfcontrol or (what I hope) she's simply criminally careless around Monica. Whatever it is, I hope she gets it under control.
That's what I'm worried about. Hopefully it's just she gets that careless only around M. Control would be good, yes. I'm enjoying the fanservice though XD
ImageImage
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

chalcara wrote:Actually, Shelly still reads smug as fuck to me and not really caring at all. More "neener,neener, look what I know".
Inasmuch as someone who may have left for a while, and comes back to see her high school friends, having completed a master's degree in the time the friends merely had time to finish their freshman year of college may sound smug and smarter-than-thou, perhaps... But I don't see any bragging, here. Her words sound like they were meant to be reassuring.
chalcara wrote:Thanks for the "told you so", though. :P
I do hope you read correctly my "And to the risk of sounding like I'm saying "I told you so" to chalcara" as meaning that I did NOT intend what followed to be an "I told you so", right?
(Incidentally, I now look at my statement and see I probably should have said "At the risk...")
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Shelly, the "Answer Man". Its nice seeing Shelly in 'the Command Chair' for once. ;)
Actually, just as I was starting to try and like the Shelly 2 character then last few strips have pushed her back to the bottom of my list again. She almost raised above Jin. I am still perplexed as to why I dislike this character so much but I do know that it has been a slow slide from a point of generally liking to one of outright disgust. Sort of basically liking a TV show but having one or two actors that you really can not stand and one that almost gets you to change channels or turn the thing off.

I think I will continue to try and figure out why Shelly 2 annoys me so much - she does so much more than any character of Wapsi. I have even tried the rationalizing trick of trying to find something I do like about her... so far... nothing, really. What makes it difficult is that nearly any aspect about her I dislike. It is almost as if Mr. P had totally by accident just happened to construct a character with just about every trait I do not like and evolved her to that point that drives them home even more.

It may feel like 'the Command Chair' for some but to me it feels like mean-spirited, smug and arrogant while oddly dismissive and a bit devoid of true concern as it is couched in an air of condescending disregard for actions that she is either directly responsible for or not able to explain with any degree of sympathy. (She was the one to stabbed Monica in the head with the blade that 'is not really in her' remember - Shelly 2 may know now more than anyone, but at the time she was the most in the dark and it is that disconnect from her own knowledge about things that I find most grating)

If knowledge is power and Shelly 2 has it she is doing a poor job of expressing it. In other words she comes across as being a very knowledgeable person incapable of expressing themselves in any usable fashion. She is still the dumbest and weakest for that reason - perhaps that is what frustrates me so. The more "powerful" she is made in the strip the "weaker" she becomes. She simply lacks the basic ability to use her strength, knowledge or emotions to help the situation.

Shelly 2 - someone has to be on the bottom.