Derailed 2017-1-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Alkarii

Derailed 2017-1-24

Post by Alkarii »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/derailed/

I have no idea what the figure booth is... I've never been to a convention.

Who knows what one is, and how would it help her?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Derailed 2017-1-24

Post by AmriloJim »

I Googled "anime con figure booth" when Paul put this one up on Patreon. No hard-and-fast answer, but what I read into the results is a booth that sells what were once called "action figures". I have no idea as to how that will help... tune in tomorrow!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Yes, Castela, you are... but so is pretty much everyone at about your age, and for several years thereafter. (Some for longer than others.)

Blame the Puberty Gnome. http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006 ... riest.html
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I presume she's referring to "the resin and PVC figure booth by the door", though I'm not sure why she's in such a rush.

--FreeFlier
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AmriloJim wrote:I Googled "anime con figure booth" when Paul put this one up on Patreon. No hard-and-fast answer, but what I read into the results is a booth that sells what were once called "action figures". I have no idea as to how that will help... tune in tomorrow!
yeah, that's pretty much it means, up here in Seattle, they have Sakura-Con, at the Washington State Convention Center and on their website they have some archived pics, they mostly deal with the Cosplayers, and the other cultural events like Kendo demonstrations, and Tea Ceromonies, etc... but they only have a FEW pics that show the merchant's and their wares (don't want to seem TOO commercial, don'tcha know!)...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

FreeFlier wrote:I presume she's referring to "the resin and PVC figure booth by the door", though I'm not sure why she's in such a rush.

--FreeFlier
Well, duh - it's been an hour.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yeah - Timothy said to meet him there.

I hope she's planning to be surprised and completely clueless to what's been going; to see them together and to basically offer, if not her blessings, her understanding
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

I'm impressed by her clothes...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

A few thoughts:

The figures are not quite 'Action Figures' as most of them are not articulated, aren't really intended to be 'played with' and are instead more On the Shelf Ornamental in nature.

It must be a real thing because there's a BLOG about it: http://myfigurecollection.net/blog/3345

This has Action, but isn't an Action Figure...

This link, while safe for work my POV, might be better representational of a PVC/Resin Figurine https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1qDsPJVXX ... ed-PVC.jpg and belies the previous non-articulated point I made earlier...

PS- Castela had left Timmy w/ a scheduled plan to meet him there, so the haste...
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

She seems to be in control now and if she decides to accept them then heaven help either one of the other breaks their heart.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You mean something like this?

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

Figures are a big part of most fandoms. They can range from fixed statues, to highly articulated action figures.
AnotherFairportfan

ooopib.gif
ooopib.gif (64.22 KiB) Viewed 9623 times
eee

Post by eee »

Castela went from the depths of despair and anguish to being all right and apparently puzzled about what she'd experienced. And her clothes are fine now. Did we just see some sort of personality / reality reboot?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I hope she's planning to be surprised and completely clueless to what's been going; to see them together and to basically offer, if not her blessings, her understanding
At the very least, wait until she sees how they act towards her before getting angry about things.
eee wrote:Castela went from the depths of despair and anguish to being all right and apparently puzzled about what she'd experienced. And her clothes are fine now. Did we just see some sort of personality / reality reboot?
Perhaps she's having some success after all in her battle against the silly little hormone chemicals.

There are two sides (at least) to her: the little pre-teen girl, and the thousands-of-years-old blackthorn. Sometimes one side seems to show through more than the other.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:There are two sides (at least) to her: the little pre-teen girl, and the thousands-of-years-old blackthorn. Sometimes one side seems to show through more than the other.
That's true... her blackthorn aspect was certainly showing through, in yesterday's strip.

Right through her clothes, in fact.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I just want to mention that a blackthorn is NOT a vine. It's a large shrub or small tree, sometimes reaching 5 meters.

Her vine aspect comes from something else. If we didn't know she's part blackthorn, I'd suggest raspberry as they have nasty thorns (blackthorn has nastier).
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I still think she has honey locust in her, too.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:I just want to mention that a blackthorn is NOT a vine. It's a large shrub or small tree, sometimes reaching 5 meters.

Her vine aspect comes from something else. If we didn't know she's part blackthorn, I'd suggest raspberry as they have nasty thorns (blackthorn has nastier).
Possibly, but not necessarily. One thing we know from genetics, is that a relatively small change to even a single regulatory gene can result in a big difference in phenotype.

Blackthorn is a member of the Prunus genus, which is a member of the Rosaceae family... and the latter include both the raspberries (nasty-thorned vines as you note) and roses (some of which are vining/climbing types).

We can deduce that the lab that created Castela must certainly have done a bunch of gene-splicing (or the equivalent) in order to create her at all. It seems plausible to me that this could have reverted some of her Blackthorn genome back to a more "primitive" form, making her more of a basal Rosaceae than a Prunus per se. They could have fiddled with a few growth-regulation genes, and thus emphasized a spreading/vining growth pattern over a shrub/tree pattern.
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:I still think she has honey locust in her, too.
That would explain Agent-Five-O-Clock-Shadow's careful approach and soothing words...