Derailed 2017-1-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Derailed 2017-1-24

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I still think she has honey locust in her, too.
That would explain Agent-Five-O-Clock-Shadow's careful approach and soothing words...
Hmmm, yes. At her current level of power, having both blackthorn and honey-locust ancestry means that she could easily grab an MIB agent, convert him into shish-kebab skewer meat, and then plasma-grill him to a tasty done-ness, all by herself.

I suppose that means that if her (predicted) young-adulthood "issues" lead to her running away from home, she could always get a job as a short-order cook.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

She's also a very smart gal, especially for her age. Given that and her ability to pummel, skewer, and incinerate those who annoy her, she could be considered a valued employee at all sorts of places. Her bosses and coworkers might make all sorts of offerings to her to stay under the protection of her good graces. It is useful to have the local genius locust on your side, after all.
Dave wrote:It seems plausible to me that this could have reverted some of her Blackthorn genome back to a more "primitive" form, making her more of a basal Rosaceae than a Prunus per se. They could have fiddled with a few growth-regulation genes, and thus emphasized a spreading/vining growth pattern over a shrub/tree pattern.
That might be possible with a massive amount of gene mapping and statistical analyses, but it would be very, very difficult. You can't just reactivate genes that have been dormant in a lineage for very long. It might be easier to just take some other species that already has the trait and work those genes in somehow.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:...the local genius locust...
It's good to NOT turn the local Pun Jar against you...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Nah, with that temper of hers, I'd say it was Honey Badger instead....
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Catawampus wrote:. . .
Dave wrote:It seems plausible to me that this could have reverted some of her Blackthorn genome back to a more "primitive" form, making her more of a basal Rosaceae than a Prunus per se. They could have fiddled with a few growth-regulation genes, and thus emphasized a spreading/vining growth pattern over a shrub/tree pattern.
That might be possible with a massive amount of gene mapping and statistical analyses, but it would be very, very difficult. You can't just reactivate genes that have been dormant in a lineage for very long. It might be easier to just take some other species that already has the trait and work those genes in somehow.
IF it was a targeted reactivation, as opposed to a side effect of something else . . .

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

scantrontb wrote:
Nah, with that temper of hers, I'd say it was Honey Badger instead....
Wrong side of the river for that. She's a Honey Gopher.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Honey gopher? Wait, am I going to regret asking that?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Badger : Wisconsin :: Gopher : Minnesota.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Badger : Wisconsin :: Gopher : Minnesota.
thought so
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

jwhouk wrote:Badger : Wisconsin :: Gopher : Minnesota.
then again you have the governments "opinion" that they are separate animals, as this statement is taken from the Dept. of Natural Resources of Wisconsin:
Badgers don't eat brats and soda like many "badger fans," but they are carnivores (meat-eaters) and hunt for animals found in grasslands like pocket gophers, ground squirrels, rabbits, and small birds. They can sniff out food almost as well as dogs can. And, that's better than most animals. They aren't friendly like most dogs though; this animal is a ferocious fighter with an attitude and should not be bothered.
I'm inclined to believe that if they EAT Gophers, enough so that it is their first food item on the list, then they are NOT a Gopher themselves...
Last edited by scantrontb on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

scantrontb wrote:I'm inclined to believe that if they EAT Gophers enough, so that it is their first food item on the list, then they are NOT a Gopher themselves...
But if you are what you eat . . . . :twisted:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

scantrontb wrote:
Badgers don't eat brats and soda like many "badger fans," but they are carnivores (meat-eaters) and hunt for animals found in grasslands like pocket gophers,
Pocket gopher=chipmunk or something in the same spot on the food chain? Gopher eating gopher imples a lot of high energy fighting and perhaps not the best option for dinner.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."