Hitting Home 2017-01-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Hitting Home 2017-01-23

Post by AmriloJim »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/hitting-home/

The question is... did Castela only see them from afar, or was she close enough to hear them?
jeffepp

Re: Hitting Home 2017-01-23

Post by jeffepp »

Scratch that outfit.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AmriloJim wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/hitting-home/

The question is... did Castela only see them from afar, or was she close enough to hear them?
Unless it's really really noisy, she heard them.

Plus I don't think she'd react that strongly or that way if she hadn't heard as well ass seen.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Are witnesses going to be an issue here? I imagine that, if she is seen changing, that may require a cover up operation, and she's going to get in a lot of trouble because of it. Hopefully nobody overreacts and demands that she be locked up or something.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hmmm.

One feels that this may ba a Bad Omen.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote:Are witnesses going to be an issue here? I imagine that, if she is seen changing, that may require a cover up operation, and she's going to get in a lot of trouble because of it. Hopefully nobody overreacts and demands that she be locked up or something.
It looks like she's hiding in a corner in the dark, so I don't think anyone will see her . . . and if they do, she's at a Con. They'll want to know what character she is and where she got the cool costume.

Assuming that the observer isn't already para-aware.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:Assuming that the observer isn't already para-aware.

--FreeFlier
There's para-aware, and then there's Whatsit-aware... (Castela's the only specimen in existence, after all...)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

jeffepp wrote:Scratch that outfit.
Yeah, she's gonna have heck explaining how she wasn't attacked or something with her clothes torn like that.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm worried someone is going to call for her to be locked up, and she'll have a Monica-esque experience.

I'm also very, very worried she'll hurt someone. Because she will feel terrible for it.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

And it sucks because we all know things aren't going to go well for her at some point, because Paul has told us she will have "issues" later in life.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

FreeFlier wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Are witnesses going to be an issue here? I imagine that, if she is seen changing, that may require a cover up operation, and she's going to get in a lot of trouble because of it. Hopefully nobody overreacts and demands that she be locked up or something.
It looks like she's hiding in a corner in the dark, so I don't think anyone will see her . . . and if they do, she's at a Con. They'll want to know what character she is and where she got the cool costume.

Assuming that the observer isn't already para-aware.

--FreeFlier
from the backgrounds of the previous comic, it also looks like they are actually OUTSIDE the building where the Con is going on... so there are now mundanes to worry about, in addition to any Con-goers that happen to see the transformation, Para-aware or not...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:Yeah, she's gonna have heck explaining how she wasn't attacked or something with her clothes torn like that.
I'm not so sure about that.

Kath would probably recognize the type of damage... "Oh, honey, did you lose your temper and go vine-ish again? Have some cocoa and tell me about it." She's probably had lots of experience with Castela in a temper, over the years.

For anyone else at the con, she could just say "cosplay", and who is in a position to know otherwise?
eee

Post by eee »

The horns / ears confuse me. She's Blackthorn / human. I can see her losing control of her appearance and looking like she normally does, or devolving into vines, or doing her 'turn into a blossom and scream in anguish' bit; but why grow horns?

RE locking her up: Remember, bio-engineered weapon. Perhaps one of the most powerful beings on Earth. Maybe even capable of destroying the GGG. Locking her up, antagonizing her, would be a disaster. You either have to get her to regulate her own behavior - which she's been doing pretty well, really - or kill her. There's not much in-between.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Way back when we first met her, it was shsown she would grow horns when she was upset. And, we're talking about a bundle of vines that can scrunch into a human shape. Why not horns?
Poor Castela.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

In the Chronology thread, Akasha posted concern that Castela might take root here. Not to worry, as a Patreon patron I've already seen tomorrow's comic...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Methinks this will be a week of the Feels.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jwhouk wrote:Methinks this will be a week of the Feels.
Oh, I'm sure.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

eee wrote:The horns / ears confuse me. She's Blackthorn / human.
Actually, all we know for sure is that she's part Blackthorn. What the other part is, or even how many other species - not known.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AmriloJim wrote:http://wapsisquare.com/comic/hitting-home/

I'm pretty sure Cas is reacting to actually having heard them 'profess'...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/be-honest/ <--- check third panel...
sheik

Post by sheik »

If Castela's outburst is around the corner at the Con then it make the job a little simpler for the MIB. After all weird things are done by weird people at these things all the time.
But I too was wondering if the page title actually implies that Castela went home before she let loose. Raw concrete looks pretty much the same everywhere you go.