All This Time 2017-01-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

All This Time 2017-01-19

Post by AmriloJim »

AnotherFairportfan

Re: All This Time 2017-01-19

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

They better either find a compatible blossom for our little bindweed ... or find an industrial-size drum of RoundUp.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

And all this time
The river flowed
Endlessly,
To the sea.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I never really could see him getting with Castela. However, I don't really see this being the reason for her later rebellious phase that's been hinted at in some of the random art of her when she's older.

Which means she's probably got worse things waiting around the corner.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

No i dont see this as the tipping point either but it sure is a warning shot across the bow.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Thor

Post by Thor »

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats hugging together... mass hysteria!"
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

And that anchor is a literal pain...

and I still figured that it would be pulling her hair more than poking in tender places, but that would just be me.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

I feel good about Timothy admitting his feelings to Scarlet like this since she was willing to let him go to see him happy.

And he came back to her, wanting the same thing she wanted.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"Hey, bust a move!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
eee

Post by eee »

It's Owen and Lakshimi all over again! With less muscles.

So this is a romance manga, after all. At least temporarily. I'm glad for them, sad for the Pickle. It might be best if she's somewhere nearby, saw this, and realizes she needs to find somebody else to be hormonal with.

Still, I hope Timothy will get Scarlett to whatever first aid station they have at this con, to get her knees bandaged up if nothing else.
s-o

Post by s-o »

Atomic wrote:"Hey, bust a move!"
And vice versa.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

eee wrote:So this is a romance manga, after all. At least temporarily. I'm glad for them, sad for the Pickle. It might be best if she's somewhere nearby, saw this, and realizes she needs to find somebody else to be hormonal with.
Probably one of the best-case scenarios is that while all of this was going on, Castela was taking Bud's advice and doing some serious honest introspection, leading her to realise that Timothy wasn't right for her.

Worst-case scenarios could probably include the whole convention going up in a giant ball of glowing plasma, and not of the kind that Scarlet is currently leaking all over the floor from her knee (though that would probably also qualify as a rather unpleasant scenario).
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

eee wrote:It's Owen and Lakshimi all over again! With less muscles.

So this is a romance manga, after all. At least temporarily. I'm glad for them, sad for the Pickle. It might be best if she's somewhere nearby, saw this, and realizes she needs to find somebody else to be hormonal with.

Still, I hope Timothy will get Scarlett to whatever first aid station they have at this con, to get her knees bandaged up if nothing else.
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
- Mark Twain
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
AnotherFairportfan

Gyrrakavian wrote:
eee wrote:It's Owen and Lakshimi all over again! With less muscles.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
- Mark Twain
John W Campbell, Jr wrote:History doesn't always repeat itself - sometimes it just screams "Why aren't you listening to me?" and swings a club.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
- Mark Twain
Sometimes it doesn't repeat itself - it just yells "Didn't you listen to anything I said?" and swings at your head with a club.

(I can't remember whether that's a paraphrase of something written by Heinlein, Spider Robinson, or someone else).
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
- Mark Twain
Sometimes it doesn't repeat itself - it just yells "Didn't you listen to anything I said?" and swings at your head with a club.

(I can't remember whether that's a paraphrase of something written by Heinlein, Spider Robinson, or someone else).
Look up one post.

Can't remember the story, but it was a story blurb in what my mind insists was an issue of Astounding before it became ANALOG[/]. (I got my dad's subscription issues as soon as he was down withe 'em from about 1956 on, and access to his complete run back to 1941.)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Can't remember the story, but it was a story blurb in what my mind insists was an issue of Astounding before it became ANALOG. (I got my dad's subscription issues as soon as he was down withe 'em from about 1956 on, and access to his complete run back to 1941.)
An edition of Analog Science Fiction & Fact from 1965, I believe.
AnotherFairportfan

Catawampus wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Can't remember the story, but it was a story blurb in what my mind insists was an issue of Astounding before it became ANALOG. (I got my dad's subscription issues as soon as he was down withe 'em from about 1956 on, and access to his complete run back to 1941.)
An edition of Analog Science Fiction & Fact from 1965, I believe.
Okay, so i'm off by at least six years. (Campbell took the magazine from one title to the other over the course of a year - 1959/60, i think.)

BTW - that symbol in the "ANALOG" title doesn't mean "and" - it's Campbell's own creation, and he said it meant "is analogous to".

Can you remember/name the story? I sort of feel as if it were either one of Gordon R DIckson's "Dorsai" stories, or something by Mack Reynolds.

And, since the odds were good in those days, illustrated by Kelly Freas or John Schoenhoerr
AnotherFairportfan

Heh. Googling showed it plagiarised into a Shadowrun game...

===========

A bit more Googling brought me to a guy on eBay offering what, reading between the lines, is an illegal scanned set of the first thirty years of ASF on DVD. Gonna buy.

Anyway, the image he has on his eBay page for it is a Kelly Freas cover painting, for a story by Harry Harrison, in which thee Danes discover an interialess drive, fit up a nuclear sub as a spaceship and head, i seem to recall, eventually to Mars.

I always meant to give Kelly a hard time about that painting, and i never remembered when i ran into him at cons.

It's a great painting:
squid.jpg
squid.jpg (149.36 KiB) Viewed 10944 times
Note the name of the vessel across her bows: "Blæksprutte" - Danish for "squid".

It's an appropriate name for the sub as described in the story ... and makes Kelly's painting WRONG.

Why?

Because the sub is named "Squid" because it uses a water-jet propulsion system (not unlike "Red October", but years earlier), and doesn't need (or have) external screws for propulsion.

Oops.

(Although about ten seconds thought suggests that the "error" might be intentional - to clearly establish that this is a submarine in space, not a purpose-built spaceship...

(And it may be the result of an interaction between Kelly and JWCjr not unlike the grass story...)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

:?

Who wants some pie?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!