Fight for Her 2017-1-17

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Alkarii

Fight for Her 2017-1-17

Post by Alkarii »

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/fight-for-her/

Hmmm... Either Scarlett is being sincere about bowing out, or she's being really clever. I think I've seen this move in manga before.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Thor

Re: Fight for Her 2017-1-17

Post by Thor »

That's a lot of romantic drama for just being, what? 10 years old? 11?

Once puberty kicks in good and proper, the halls of Gryffon Jr High are going to constantly be awash with blood and tears and angst. Assuming they all live long enough to get to that stage. :|
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Thor wrote:That's a lot of romantic drama for just being, what? 10 years old? 11?

Once puberty kicks in good and proper, the halls of Gryffon Jr High are going to constantly be awash with blood and tears and angst. Assuming they all live long enough to get to that stage. :|
I think these kids are constantly reinforced about how dangerous they are/could be, and that in order to protect their fellow paras from destruction they have to hide their power, much like the talk Monica and Shelly got from Phix after their parkour demonstration on their way to that fish place. The kids get it more frequently but at a lot lower level as they "grow into" their power(s), but cumulatively it has the same effect as M's and S's dressing-down by Phix.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
eee

Post by eee »

Wowser. Now THAT'S a friend. To both Timothy AND Castela!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Wow.

Somebody grew up.
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Thor wrote:That's a lot of romantic drama for just being, what? 10 years old? 11?
Thereabouts - fifth or sixth grade?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Wow.

Somebody grew up.
Scarlet had already shown a fairly mature capability for emotional introspection, when it came to her and Castela's relationships with Timothy.

What she did here, did take guts... baring her feelings like this, and then in the next breath making it clear that she wasn't demanding that he reciprocate.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I do get a feeling of "I'll show him how caring and selfless I am, and he'll realize I'm the one who really loves him"...

... which will work about as well as... um... Castela's "not a date" ploy. Yeah, that badly.

Of course, I'd say to all three of these kids "if in ten years you can look back at your life, point at this moment, and say 'that was the dumbest thing I ever did in pursuit of romance', then you will have been exceptionally wise."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Warrl wrote:I do get a feeling of "I'll show him how caring and selfless I am, and he'll realize I'm the one who really loves him"...
I was wondering if that was her angle, at first, but I think her tears are genuine. She knows she's shooting herself in the foot, but she will push Timothy back towards Castela nevertheless.

In fact, at one point, I thought she was actually coming to that conclusion as she spoke (you know, thinking out loud and working it out at the same time), and realizing that Castela does indeed care for Timothy after all.

So I don't think this is a ploy. She is being painfully (to herself) honest in what she is telling Timothy.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Warrl wrote:Of course, I'd say to all three of these kids "if in ten years you can look back at your life, point at this moment, and say 'that was the dumbest thing I ever did in pursuit of romance', then you will have been exceptionally wise."
Well, as they haven't yet entered their teenage years (if what someone mentioned earlier about their ages is correct), I'd say that it's entirely possible that at least one of them surpasses this situation, in terms of stupidity. There's still plenty of time.

However, your comment still holds true: If they really will be able to say this was the dumbest thing they'd done, in regards to romance, then yes, they will have made a few wise decisions. Or at least, avoided some that would be exceptionally unwise...
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Wow.

Somebody grew up.[/quothttSViolet had already shown a fairly mature capability for emotional introspection, when it came to her and Castela's relationships with Timothy.

What she did here, did take guts... baring her feelings like this, and then in the next breath making it clear that she wasn't demanding that he reciprocate.
Now it's up to Timothy to explain to Castela that Scarlet didn't want to ruin her friendship with her fighting over a boy, and that Scarlet opted to 'bow out gracefully'.

EDIT: *derp* wrong color name
Last edited by Gyrrakavian on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

This is sure following that graph i used the other day, all over the place. She is showing a level of maturity well beyond her years but i believe para's would mature faster than us humans and girls faster than boys.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Psst, Gyrr, her name's Scarlett...

Honestly, this whole thing is a crapshoot. Precognitors would look at this and shrug. Castela might see this happen and suddenly realize something or decide to be angsty or who-the-f__k-knows and off we go, pinballing in another direction at supersonic speeds once again.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Heard this driving home and it made me think of this.

'Hands are Shakey' by SIRES.

I couldn't find lyrics, though. So it's probably not the best fit.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Swedish Chef

Post by Swedish Chef »

Right now, I can guess a bit what goes into Tim's brain.

It's something like

Lurk lurk lurk!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Psst, Gyrr, her name's Scarlett...
Scarlet, with one "t", according to the tags Paul has been putting on the strips.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
Scarlet, with one "t", according to the tags Paul has been putting on the strips.
I got Muphry'd
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:
I got Muphry'd
Hey, it happens to the best of us, and to me as well. I won't O'harass you about it more than occasionally. ;)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I only started spelling it "Scarlett" because I saw a bunch of people doing it. I don't really bother looking at the tags. I'll see the page, use the back/forward buttons, and then go straight to the forums.

So I had been correct originally...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:Hmmm... Either Scarlett is being sincere about bowing out, or she's being really clever.
Could be both. Hoping that Timothy will start dating Castela, realise that it doesn't really make him happy, break things off, and then Scarlet can be there to comfort him. Though I doubt that she's actually planning that, or is really functioning on much of a plan at all at the moment.