Bento 2017-01-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Bento 2017-01-10

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Armorlord

Re: Bento 2017-01-17

Post by Armorlord »

Oh dear.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
jwhouk

Re: Bento 2017-01-10

Post by jwhouk »

Explosion coming in three, two...
Last edited by jwhouk on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Open mouth, insert foot.

. . .

Does Timothy really know what he's doing, or is he really taking Pickle at her word?

"I will delve a yard beneath them, and blow them at the moon" -King John . . . Pickle is well and truly hoist with her own petard.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hoisted by her own petard, for sure! :shock: (You beat me to it, FreeFlier - shame on me for stopping to expound :lol: )

Is there a canonical list of ways in which a tsundere teen can be expected to react, when s/he paints himself/herself into a corner like this?
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Yeah, petard. Too slow.

Somebody tell me there is a non-H series about the fleet girls that these kids could have watched/read.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

OK, good time or place to ask this. What's the deal with the "Battleship girls" thing?
Dave

Post by Dave »

jeffepp wrote:OK, good time or place to ask this. What's the deal with the "Battleship girls" thing?
Well, you know how some people are prone to personify their cars, or their firearms? (Yes, some of them even hang out around here).

Well, it's apparently also possible to personify warships... as cute girls. Do not ask me Why One Would Want To Do This.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Ships are always female.

Beyond that, if you have to ask you wouldn't understand.

However, consider nose are on combat aircraft.

--FreeFlier
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Its gonna be mighty interesting to see how she reacts to this.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Hey, AnotherFairportFan, I didn't know you were a time traveller...

Either that, or you might want to revise the date on this thread... :P
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:Hey, AnotherFairportFan, I didn't know you were a time traveller...

Either that, or you might want to revise the date on this thread... :P
Argh
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
jeffepp wrote:OK, good time or place to ask this. What's the deal with the "Battleship girls" thing?
Well, you know how some people are prone to personify their cars, or their firearms? (Yes, some of them even hang out around here).

Well, it's apparently also possible to personify warships... as cute girls. Do not ask me Why One Would Want To Do This.
There's another anime that has cute girls who are also various rifles, i think.

And another in which the characters are Scandinavian countries.
AnotherFairportfan

Scarlett might want to carefully consider just how much she wants to portray herself as "fast".
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Looking at that first frame again, I think maybe Castela is beginning to realize how she's been treating Timothy . . .

--FreeFlier
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: Well, you know how some people are prone to personify their cars, or their firearms? (Yes, some of them even hang out around here).

I saw that......

More the point, anthromorphism of weapons is as old as Man itself. Not seeing the battleships thing personally (though gotta say I consider much anime a bit creepy) but it's entirely understandable.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
illiad

Post by illiad »

As for Atsali.... looks like it will be Bento again.... :P :roll:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:
Dave wrote: Well, you know how some people are prone to personify their cars, or their firearms? (Yes, some of them even hang out around here).
I saw that......
I expected you would. :)
More the point, anthromorphism of weapons is as old as Man itself. Not seeing the battleships thing personally (though gotta say I consider much anime a bit creepy) but it's entirely understandable.
Oh, definitely. The human race has a long-standing tradition of personifying all sorts of inanimate objects (living and unliving), and ascribing thoughts, personalities, and motivations to them. Weapons, specifically, often were ascribed such characters (often martial, sometimes evil or chaotic) - not surprising considering how important a role they played in survival, and how strongly they'd often be "tied" to their owner or creator.

Apparently, the whole idea of personification-of-the-nonhuman was rather getting out of hand in 18th-century poetry, which was full of such imagery as part of the poets' way of tugging on the heart-strings of the reader. Flowers and trees were common subjects for this sort of treatment; leaves whispered, trees wept... that sort of thing. They were being used in a style of persuasion known classically as "pathos" (eliciting emotions from within the readers' experience).

In later years, excessive use of this was criticized as the "pathetic fallacy". I suppose it's like a lot of spices and flavorings - appealing in small doses, but it becomes unpleasant when you ladle it on in huge quantities.

And, in the modern era, there's the tendency of some women to personify their sex toys. I'm sure you can figure out the technical term for that.

(grins, ducks, runs like hell... dropping into the Pun Jar, in passing, a gift certificate for a certain store in Girls with Slingshots).
eee

Post by eee »

Alex Trebek: "As Kryptonite is to Superman, (blank) are to the plans of Castela Gilchrist."

Contestant: "That would be, 'What are big boobs?', Alex."

So far every largely endowed female they've come across has cut in on Pickle's time with Timothy. And now Scarlet's doing it best of all. She's figured out you don't get cats with affection; rather, you offer them food...
Dave wrote:Hoisted by her own petard, for sure! :shock: (You beat me to it, FreeFlier - shame on me for stopping to expound :lol: )

Is there a canonical list of ways in which a tsundere teen can be expected to react, when s/he paints himself/herself into a corner like this?
Well, Asuka Langley Soryu, Princess of tsundere, would call Shinji a baka and either storm off or insist it doesn't matter to her in the slightest. I'm not sure either tactic would work in this case.

(Imagines Evangelion with the WS crew. Decides the Angels don't know how good they had it.)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Just Old Al wrote:

I saw that......

I call it Vera.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!