Bento 2017-01-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
lake_wrangler

Re: Bento 2017-01-10

Post by lake_wrangler »

illiad wrote:ahhhh... well, girlswithslingshots is doing a current theme like that.... :D :D
They're going on a bicycle trip with a B.O.B. trailer behind their bike? ;)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

lake_wrangler wrote:
illiad wrote:ahhhh... well, girlswithslingshots is doing a current theme like that.... :D :D
They're going on a bicycle trip with a B.O.B. trailer behind their bike? ;)
Puts me to mind of a quote from an ENglish comedy I once saw:

"You know, the next size up of that has a strimmer (string trimmer) attachment you can get for it."
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

(Dave cringes)

Of all the devices ever invented, which could Go Badly Wrong in use... that one is very high on the list. :shock:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Has Danielle resumed GWS, or is this reprints?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

GWS: Still reprints, but the image tags are current comments.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote:(Dave cringes)

Of all the devices ever invented, which could Go Badly Wrong in use... that one is very high on the list. :shock:
Gives all new meaning to a Brazilian whacks...{owwwwwwwww}
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
illiad

Post by illiad »

AmriloJim wrote:GWS: Still reprints, but the image tags are current comments.
The strips are from 10 years ago, with color added, and a link to the old strip! :)
TazManiac

Re: Bento 2017-01-17

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
Dave wrote: Well, you know how some people are prone to personify their cars, or their firearms? (Yes, some of them even hang out around here).
I saw that......
I expected you would. :)
More the point, anthromorphism of weapons is as old as Man itself. Not seeing the battleships thing personally (though gotta say I consider much anime a bit creepy) but it's entirely understandable.
Oh, definitely. The human race has a long-standing tradition of personifying all sorts of inanimate objects (living and unliving), and ascribing thoughts, personalities, and motivations to them. Weapons, specifically, often were ascribed such characters (often martial, sometimes evil or chaotic) - not surprising considering how important a role they played in survival, and how strongly they'd often be "tied" to their owner or creator.

Apparently, the whole idea of personification-of-the-nonhuman was rather getting out of hand in 18th-century poetry, which was full of such imagery as part of the poets' way of tugging on the heart-strings of the reader. Flowers and trees were common subjects for this sort of treatment; leaves whispered, trees wept... that sort of thing. They were being used in a style of persuasion known classically as "pathos" (eliciting emotions from within the readers' experience).

In later years, excessive use of this was criticized as the "pathetic fallacy". I suppose it's like a lot of spices and flavorings - appealing in small doses, but it becomes unpleasant when you ladle it on in huge quantities.

And, in the modern era, there's the tendency of some women to personify their sex toys. I'm sure you can figure out the technical term for that.

(grins, ducks, runs like hell... dropping into the Pun Jar, in passing, a gift certificate for a certain store in Girls with Slingshots).
'Good Vibrations' Look it up. (I spent a little time in and around the founders; not that they would have noticed...)

btw- The Wikipedia entry for the'Fleet Girls'. esp the 'keep it i n house' IP Restrictive, Only For the Home Crowd..... it smacks of a re-martialization of the ol' Empire Based Nippon. .. ... never mind. I wasn't here, I didn't say nutt'n.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:
Dave wrote:In later years, excessive use of this was criticized as the "pathetic fallacy". I suppose it's like a lot of spices and flavorings - appealing in small doses, but it becomes unpleasant when you ladle it on in huge quantities.

And, in the modern era, there's the tendency of some women to personify their sex toys. I'm sure you can figure out the technical term for that.

(grins, ducks, runs like hell... dropping into the Pun Jar, in passing, a gift certificate for a certain store in Girls with Slingshots).
'Good Vibrations' Look it up. (I spent a little time in and around the founders; not that they would have noticed...)
Actually, I think that by personifying their vibrators, they're indulging in the "pathetic phallacy".

Why do you think I paid the Pun Jar? :twisted:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

<-- It's not the best link to remain germain, but it hits it's stride @ 1 min in; "L'amour, L'amour ..."

btw- all those who haven't yet seen 'the Women', get a copy...
illiad

Re: Bento 2017-01-17

Post by illiad »

Catawampus wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Its gonna be mighty interesting to see how she reacts to this.
And if she does learn a lesson from this, will it be one of the right lessons to learn?
but to get back on topic.... maybe she can learn how to 'morph' a big pair for herself!!! :twisted: 8-)