Dressed Nice 2017-01-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Dressed Nice 2017-01-03

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:And then there's Faye Whitaker.
... Isn't she like the apotheosis of tsundere?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And then there's Faye Whitaker.
... Isn't she like the apotheosis of tsundere?
Not the Apophis of tsundere?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:... Isn't she like the apotheosis of tsundere?
I can never remember who won the Apos'trophy for that.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:... Isn't she like the apotheosis of tsundere?
I can never remember who won the Apos'trophy for that.
The crux of the biscuit is, you owe the pun jar again.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Atomic wrote:I'm not in love
So don't forget it
It's just a silly phase I'm going through
And just because
I call you up
Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it made
I'm not in love, no no, it's because...
After listening to this again, (crappy earbuds and MP3 playback notwithstanding), it came to mind to evaluate, even appreciate the song anew- here in the 21st Century.

It's a very atmospheric song, one that has a lot of keyboard of the era (mid-1970's), and studio 'molding' shall we call it. Still, a couple of thoughts;

- Prince could have benefited from a more collaborative aspect over the course of his life, but then again it wouldn't have been what it turned out to be (Prince's canon...). If I'm to understand the 10cc bio correctly there were 4 guys, of which at any given time two were working 'Hits' & the other pair were working on more artsy and avant-garde stuff. (I'm just now playing catchup; 'Rubber Bullets' is high-larious...)

- The song itself (I'm Not In Love) is the perfect track to play over a juxtaposed (ex)lover dismemberment scene- as irony/shock/oppositional reference. OTOH, it's also a great song to do, if you can pull it off, acoustically, 'under her window'. There's no great pyrotechnics required, but you need a good ear to get the notes on point.

- If you're going to do this song, all 'Unplugged' and everything, it would seem that you'd be making good use of some Greek Chorus, or at least some camera-shy Cyrano's hiding in the bushes: <-- (Big Bang Theory Serenade)

(It's not that I over-think this stuff, it's just that I usually don't subject you guys to it most of the time...)

< Insert big wrap-up & pithy distillation here...>
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:I can never remember who won the Apos'trophy for that.
It's usually the same person each time, but every now and then it changes to somebody else as new characters develop. So who gets that gould medal is a case of punctuated equilibrium.
illiad

Post by illiad »

TazManiac: The YT you linked is not really the original, some say... dont believe the title, some even put 'HD version' when it clearly is not!!!

here is a better version, live from 1979.. :)

As for the origin of the band name, well read the comment below from your link... :P
(I do wish YT would make that section better, searching and finding stuff is awful, even if sent there from an emailed link!!! :O :O)
guys in youtube comments wrote: saladdogger 4 days ago
Radical sounds and original concepts (as far as I know ). Only thing spoilt it for me was the name 10 cc - when I found out where they got the name it was hard not to think of them as dirty bastards.

Joe F 2 days ago
On a BBC documentary last night the rock impresario Jonathan King informed viewers that he suggested the name 10 cc to the band as he had a dream the previous night that he would be managing the biggest band in the world and they were called 10 cc. He suggested that they use the name. This was confirmed by one of the band in the same programme (Lol Creme I think). The old story that name is derived from a typical serving of a man's happy juice is nonsense and just one of this things made up because it is controversial.?

saladdogger 2 days ago
Joe F I heard the condom story years ago but the Wikipedia article seems to confirm it. I hope it's not true.
In case you are not sure, its not the capacity, but what quantity goes into it... PM if you dont undersatnd, dont want to shock peoiple.... :/ :/
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

FWIW, I remember the 10cc song, I'm Not In Love, being recognized as the first song where the studio control panel was used as one of the instruments. This, in the days before AutoTune, but well after Moog, let the band remix the master playing with lots and lots of echo/space type settings in time with the music. An so, the results!

Anybody remember the 10cc album, How Dare You? Well, here's the Ultimate Evil Overlord (in training) song!
  • And there upon a rock titanic, I'll cast a giant shadow on the face of the deep!
Muwhahahah!!! (rubs hands together)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
illiad

Post by illiad »

wow.... :D :lol: :P :mrgreen: I cant beleive I forgot about Mandy!!!! 8-) 8-) :lol: :twisted: :roll:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Dave wrote:I can never remember who won the Apos'trophy for that.
It's usually the same person each time, but every now and then it changes to somebody else as new characters develop. So who gets that gould medal is a case of punctuated equilibrium.
"Dar Winner, and new champion!" :lol:

(Dave places a first-edition copy of "The Origin of the Specious" into the Pun Jar)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:FWIW, I remember the 10cc song, I'm Not In Love, being recognized as the first song where the studio control panel was used as one of the instruments. This, in the days before AutoTune, but well after Moog, let the band remix the master playing with lots and lots of echo/space type settings in time with the music. An so, the results
The Beatles and the Kinks (and the Animals) were doing that stuff before 10cc. See if you an find a full-length (over seven minute) version of "Sky Pilot". Or the Lemon Pipers, with "Green Tambourine".
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Atomic wrote:FWIW, I remember the 10cc song, I'm Not In Love, being recognized as the first song where the studio control panel was used as one of the instruments. This, in the days before AutoTune, but well after Moog, let the band remix the master playing with lots and lots of echo/space type settings in time with the music. An so, the results!

Anybody remember the 10cc album, How Dare You? Well, here's the Ultimate Evil Overlord (in training) song!
  • And there upon a rock titanic, I'll cast a giant shadow on the face of the deep!
Muwhahahah!!! (rubs hands together)
How Dare You? Definitely a favorite! Clicked the link to hear the song again, and was struck by the ranting voice- was it just me or does it sound like High Chancellor Adam Sutler (John Hurt) from V for Vendetta? Hmmm....

And Deceptive Bends is another fave. "Feel the Benefit" is my tops for that album. Now if I could just find a really good poster print of the album cover. Found a print on Ebay, but was disappointed in the quality.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Atomic wrote:FWIW, I remember the 10cc song, I'm Not In Love, being recognized as the first song where the studio control panel was used as one of the instruments. This, in the days before AutoTune, but well after Moog, let the band remix the master playing with lots and lots of echo/space type settings in time with the music. An so, the results
The Beatles and the Kinks (and the Animals) were doing that stuff before 10cc. See if you an find a full-length (over seven minute) version of "Sky Pilot". Or the Lemon Pipers, with "Green Tambourine".
10cc experimented with and used what was called "Gizmo" to give them a variety of ethereal sounds that couldn't be created with instruments otherwise. Article in Wikipedia if interested.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

"Green Tambourine" and similar songs made use of a phase shifter or Phaser to distort a sound by re-injecting the same sound upon it self, but out of phase. It gives a whooshing effect,or "going down the tunnel" type of sound. 10cc used the entire set of environmental tools available on the studio boards at the time, including phasing, for their work on I'm Not In Love. I'm basing this on a dimly remembered article discussing music trends and technology in the 70s, so I may be off a bit. I'm not saying others didn't use the tools individually, the notation was that the group was notable for first using them en masse.

Or, I'm wrong. One or the other!

I'm Mandy, fly me!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hansontoons wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
10cc experimented with and used what was called "Gizmo" to give them a variety of ethereal sounds that couldn't be created with instruments otherwise. Article in Wikipedia if interested.
The "Gizmotron".

Which, as i recall, was basically a hurdy gurdy mechanism applied to an electric guitar.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.