Friggin Dead 2012-10-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Bathorys Daughter

Re: Friggin Dead 2012-10-04

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Aleister Crow wrote:WILD UNFOUNDED THEORY TIME

Monica didn't actually survive the bus accident. She's been a ghost possessing her own body the entire time. She "survived" being stabbed in the head (leaving behind a sizable piece of metal), because she's already dead.

"I'll tell Phix you're dead." Nudge wasn't kidding.
Unlikely (though you never know with this story), but a very interesting theory. It would mean there is a difference between having a resident soul as part of one's body and having that same soul re-inhabit the body after it has been officially dead. It may not integrate with the body as it did originally and has to settle for simply inhabiting the body, like Tina's demons. Of course, they never were an integrated part of Tina as such. Just separate beings who now, somehow, directly control the body's movements and life force.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
OldDawg

Post by OldDawg »

Somebody finally noticed that Shelly has been referring to Mon as "THE Jaguar Girl". I was beginning to lose hope.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

OldDawg wrote:Somebody finally noticed that Shelly has been referring to Mon as "THE Jaguar Girl". I was beginning to lose hope.
Perhaps so, but she also called her A Jaguar Girl, when she first broached the subject...
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

lake_wrangler wrote:
OldDawg wrote:Somebody finally noticed that Shelly has been referring to Mon as "THE Jaguar Girl". I was beginning to lose hope.
Perhaps so, but she also called her A Jaguar Girl, when she first broached the subject...
Both statements can be correct at the same time. When Shelly first made her comment to Monica she was covertly throwing out facts. Monica would have had an extremely vague concept about the Jaguar Girls without any real information besides the fact that she thought that she was a permanently closed gateway to other realms. But now that Monica's destiny seems to have reached fruition, Shelly can openly state the facts as they are. If she would have just dropped the full bombshell on Monica, she most likely would have just refused to accept any other info. As are most things with minds like Monica's unbelievable things must be experienced to be accepted. any other way and the mind has a habit of just shutting out the truth and going into a fugue state like a type of schizophrenia.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Kaibyo wrote:>SIGHHH!!!!!< I can't add a darn thing to any of the above. All the good lines I thought of are taken already. BTW - if Mon DOES barf, how do you clean up ecto and who would offer to do it??? (ew!)
Just make sure Venkman is nearby to collect the mucus.
analyst wrote:Monica, bringing new meaning to the term Ghost-busters (c8. Drops a slightly used Proton Pack into the pun dimension.
"Don't Cross the Streams, Monica!"

*puts a mint condition Johnny Lightning Ecto-1 in the pun jar*=
Dave wrote:Right... but the dinosaur part doesn't kick in until the kids reach adolescence (at least, that's how most adolescents seem to see their parents), and at that point the sleep-deprivation period is over and the parents are de-zombified.
Sleep-deprivation period is never over. You will continually lose sleep even when they leave the nest--especially when they leave the nest.

*puts in a tin of lavender flower/mint tea and an Amalfi tea for one into both the pun jar and confusion corner*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Mark N wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Both statements can be correct at the same time. When Shelly first made her comment to Monica she was covertly throwing out facts. [...] But now that Monica's destiny seems to have reached fruition, Shelly can openly state the facts as they are.
Sounds plausible... except that Shelly goes on to call her THE Jaguar Girl on the very next page, as part of the very same conversation... then she changes the subject by suggesting a race to the water.
Haylo

Post by Haylo »

How about a situation where "A" and "The" Jaguar Girl can both be true -- there's one Jaguar Girl at a time. That would imply that someday there will be another, so M is still a mortal of sorts, although there might be partial loopholes (suppose her body only ages when it's "turned on", not when it's on standby?)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Haylo wrote:How about a situation where "A" and "The" Jaguar Girl can both be true -- there's one Jaguar Girl at a time. That would imply that someday there will be another, so M is still a mortal of sorts, although there might be partial loopholes (suppose her body only ages when it's "turned on", not when it's on standby?)
And the LAST "Jaguar Girl" happens to have a Dia De Los Muertes figurine in the basement of her coffee shop?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

So if the ghostly Monica does start horking stuff up, is it...

Astro Projection vomiting or Astral projectile vomiting?

Drops a gold 20D in the pun jar.
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Avenger_Reloaded wrote:Drops a gold 20D in the pun jar.

Dude, where did you get one of those? I have been looking like forever for one and either they're microscopic so you can't read the numbers you roll or they're a freaking fortune.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Aleister Crow wrote:Monica didn't actually survive the bus accident. She's been a ghost possessing her own body the entire time. She "survived" being stabbed in the head (leaving behind a sizable piece of metal), because she's already dead.

Interesting, but no - that's Tina. Although I can't argue anything but the proper noun...
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
rootwalla

Post by rootwalla »

My soul threw up a little.
Now hosting a cocktail bar in the confusion corner.
Beware the Jar... Jar... Jar...
If you can read this... you're awesome, also way too close!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

rootwalla wrote:My soul threw up a little.
at least that's better than Cthulhu throwing up, a little, on your sanity.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

jwhouk wrote:
Haylo wrote:How about a situation where "A" and "The" Jaguar Girl can both be true -- there's one Jaguar Girl at a time. That would imply that someday there will be another, so M is still a mortal of sorts, although there might be partial loopholes (suppose her body only ages when it's "turned on", not when it's on standby?)
And the LAST "Jaguar Girl" happens to have a Dia De Los Muertes figurine in the basement of her coffee shop?
By "Last" do you mean previous? It could be. Since they both died at the same place at the same time, the mantel of Jaguar Girl may have been passed on to Monica right then.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
By "Last" do you mean previous? It could be. Since they both died at the same place at the same time, the mantel of Jaguar Girl may have been passed on to Monica right then.
I like that idea.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

nerf-dweller wrote:And the irony of the situation just hit me. Monica doesn't believe in ghosts. And now she is one. :lol:
HOLY SMOKES, you're right!! :o Well, looks like she believes now - unless she's prepared to deny her own existance.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
I'm not sure if I agree as to the application (specifically as it applies to Tina), but it is definitely plausible. More so than the idea of Shelly giving info a little at a time...

In fact, that theory is downright rational... which is why it's probably the furthest from the truth! :P

After all, what would this world be coming to, if Paul were to write stories which the fans can figure out? :lol:

[boring]Of course, this could all have been a simple "slip of the keyboard", much the same way a slip of the pen brought us the gloved/non-gloved speculations... :roll: [/boring]
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Wyvern wrote:
Aleister Crow wrote:Monica didn't actually survive the bus accident. She's been a ghost possessing her own body the entire time. She "survived" being stabbed in the head (leaving behind a sizable piece of metal), because she's already dead.

Interesting, but no - that's Tina. Although I can't argue anything but the proper noun...
Not quite what I mean. We know Monica's heart stopped in the accident, and we (both readers and characters) have always assumed that she was successfully resuscitated. What I'm suggesting is that she wasn't resuscitated; that her soul was separated from her body, and would have moved onto whatever afterlife awaited her, but for some reason (possibly a supernatural intervention, possibly just by being Ms. Jaguar Girl, possibly by becoming the Jaguar Girl, as suggested in some of the posts), the soul re-entered the body and animated it, much the same as Tina's demons revived their host body to become Tina 2.0. Lots of mucking around with souls and demons at the time of that accident- what's a bit more? ;)

Anyway, as I said, it's a wild, unfounded theory. I just throw out ideas on the .02% chance I may be right for once.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Actually, it would make sense, if the position of "Jaguar Girl" was akin to the role of the Slayer in the Buffyverse.

Jaguar Girl dies, title goes to another who dies at the same time - but returns from the dead.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
donoho

Post by donoho »

TlalocW wrote:
bmonk wrote:
donoho wrote:Am I the only one who has NO IDEA what a Jaguar Girl is?!?
I'm in that group too. I suspect many of us are. Be not afraid--all will be revealed in time. Or else, other more pressing issues will come up to distract us.
In Meso-American mythology, several tribes including Olmecs, Aztecs, and Maya believed that Jaguars were able to walk in both the physical and spiritual world, much like Monica appears to be doing.

TlalocW
THANKS TlalocW!!! :D