Meeting The Deadline 2016-12-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
ChattaStarhawk

Meeting The Deadline 2016-12-12

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Well, somebody's looking after her, for better or worse...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/meeting-the-deadline/
DilyV

Re: Meeting The Deadline 2016-12-12

Post by DilyV »

Moms... SHEESH!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I'm sorta starting to wonder if perhaps our Skylar doesn't really WANT to go to college...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FirehawkShadowchild

Post by FirehawkShadowchild »

There is an important lesson here ...

Children, don't leave your computers unlocked! Others might use the oportunity to do mischief or take important decisions out of your hands :twisted:
Last edited by FirehawkShadowchild on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Parents are so helpful like that. Grandparents even more so.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hmmm...

If Skylar and Atsali are in fact destined to become roommates at Dragon's Wall College, then Pablo may be setting up to use one of the most classic Odd Couple drama-builders known to Civilization.

Take one two-person dorm room. Add one nerd. Add one artist. Don't shake... the two personality styles will probably be so mutually hypergolic as to save you the trouble. ;)

The classic combination is probably a first-year EE, interacting with almost any Liberal Arts major, but the same general principle applies to many other matchups.
eee

Post by eee »

I'm IMPRESSED with Skyler's mom! There's a woman who's not going to let her daughter fail to achieve her full potential! Even if it means making decisions for her!

I'm not sure if I'm good impressed or bad impressed. Maybe both.

I wonder what job Skyler thinks she can work at for 30+ hours that will enable her to get through college, these days. Perhaps Dragon's Wall isn't very expensive. Perhaps paras have more lucrative employment opportunities than mundanes.
AnotherFairportfan

eee wrote:I'm IMPRESSED with Skyler's mom! There's a woman who's not going to let her daughter fail to achieve her full potential! Even if it means making decisions for her!

I wonder what job Skyler thinks she can work at for 30+ hours that will enable her to get through college, these days. Perhaps Dragon's Wall isn't very expensive. Perhaps paras have more lucrative employment opportunities than mundanes.
Well, if she's 18 (or if Age Of Consent varies for paras), as a succubus...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
eee wrote:I'm IMPRESSED with Skyler's mom! There's a woman who's not going to let her daughter fail to achieve her full potential! Even if it means making decisions for her!

I believe drinking age and age of consent was stated to be 16 after the eggnog incident.

Of course, that is ignoring the psychological issues that would arise from such employment . . . I just don't see Skylar - from what little we know about her - being psychologically suited for that.

--FreeFleir
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

A lot of people end up earning a nice living doing things they don't think they are very good at. A Teenager's problem is that they have done next to nothing in life so their decisions are based on next to nothing. Good thing for her, she has a mom looking out for her.
eee

Post by eee »

Yeah, I didn't want to go there. :oops:

But you did. ;)
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote:Of course, that is ignoring the psychological issues that would arise from such employment . . . I just don't see Skylar - from what little we know about her - being psychologically suited for that.

--FreeFleir
Succubus. Designed for it.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

FreeFlier wrote:Of course, that is ignoring the psychological issues that would arise from such employment . . . I just don't see Skylar - from what little we know about her - being psychologically suited for that.
And Atsali is a siren, and not suited for it either.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

What... you've never run into a teen who really didn't want to go into the family business?

There's no data on whether Skylar is a full-blood succubus (she could be a hybrid, just as Atsali is). And, I don't think we can assume that all paras of a given race are psychologically equivalent. For all we know, succubi/incubi might have as much psychological span as humans do. They may on average be psychologically well equipped for promiscuity, but there may also be more introverted or more "emotionally fragile" or even some monogamistically-oriented among them.

We don't, as far as I know, have any data which says that Atsali's father had a wandering eye.

(Hmmm... would a monogamistic or celibate succubus be "in the closet" with respect to the rest of the community? Might she have to go through something akin to a coming-out where she finally declares to family and friends that she really doesn't want to be jumping the bones of a new lover every week or so? Atsali was proud to declare that she intended to avoid the usual Siren behavior and not be a sexual predator... I wonder if the same para-social condemnation of Sirens also applies to succubi and incubi?)
AnotherFairportfan

Being me ... errr, smart-ass ... here.
Dave wrote:Atsali was proud to declare that she intended to avoid the usual Siren behavior and not be a sexual predator... I wonder if the same para-social condemnation of Sirens also applies to succubi and incubi?)
Might explain Atsali - her parents were two outcasts who met somewhere...

==============

I've got a thought here, but it's still incubating into a form that will make sense to someone not living inside my head; once it does, i'll roll it out.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Remember that our knowledge of sirens (except for direct observation of Atsali), incubi and succubi are all based on reports from humans . . . do you really think a human who encountered any of those will a) know about the quiet ones who pass for humans; b) tell the truth about the encounter?

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote:Remember that our knowledge of sirens (except for direct observation of Atsali), incubi and succubi are all based on reports from humans . . . do you really think a human who encountered any of those will a) know about the quiet ones who pass for humans; b) tell the truth about the encounter?

--FreeFlier
However, the prejudice against sirens Atsali was worrying about wasn't among humans - it was among the para community.

OTOH, look at the par community's attitude toward vampires.

I'm sure there's something i could put on the gripping hand, but i'm not sure what...
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

FreeFlier wrote:Remember that our knowledge of sirens (except for direct observation of Atsali), incubi and succubi are all based on reports from humans . . . do you really think a human who encountered any of those will a) know about the quiet ones who pass for humans; b) tell the truth about the encounter?

--FreeFlier
However, the prejudice against sirens Atsali was worrying about wasn't among humans - it was among the para community.

I'm sure there's something i could put on the gripping hand, but i'm not sure what...
Would that be this 'Gripping Hand'?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It could also be that Skylar isn't too sure about what she wants to do with her life, so isn't entirely sure about committing to college just yet.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Gyrrakavian wrote:

--FreeFlier

Would that be this 'Gripping Hand'?
Yep. On the one hand ... on the other hand ... and on the gripping hand.