Pulling Apart 2012-10-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Ohnhai

Re: Pulling Apart 2012-10-03

Post by Ohnhai »

Julie wrote:
Shelly wrote:Now she's presentable.
This almost makes my post yesterday about Shelly giving Monica a chance to get a hold of herself on point...though Monica doesn't seem to have that good of a hold on herself at the moment... :?
jwhouk wrote:
Ohnhai wrote:but whats with the glove?
...you know, I just now noticed that.
I don't think it's a glove. I think Monica-Spirit's arm is bent at the elbow, so most of the forearm is not visible from this angle. What you're seeing is her wrist with her hand bent down at that joint...giving the illusion of a glove. At least that's what it looked like to me. :)
Definately a glove. Or more accurately a leather gauntlet. Even taking in the usual Wapsi art style the sleeve of the gauntlet is clearly that. Wapsi elbows, however styled always make some effort to taper into the joint and rearly show the obvious concavity seen here. Also with the wrist flexed there is the telltale folding at the wrist. And the fabric arround the fingers is distinctly baggier than skin should be and more folding at the knuckles... Definately a leather gauntlet.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Ohnhai wrote:Definately a glove. Or more accurately a leather gauntlet. Even taking in the usual Wapsi art style the sleeve of the gauntlet is clearly that. Wapsi elbows, however styled always make some effort to taper into the joint and rearly show the obvious concavity seen here. Also with the wrist flexed there is the telltale folding at the wrist. And the fabric arround the fingers is distinctly baggier than skin should be and more folding at the knuckles... Definately a leather gauntlet.
interesting. In a European-centric context, a single leather gauntlet on one hand would suggest that the person in question was flying a hawk or falcon. Is there any historical record of this as a mesoamerican practice?

EDIT: yup. The Aztecs at least were known to practice falconry.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geek_on_call

Post by Geek_on_call »

Ryan King: You always look so much better in my shirts than I do.

Janie King: Yeah, well, you know boobs improve everything, so..

Ryan King: Now that is the kind of ghost wisdom I wanted you to bestoweth upon me earlier.

From Mathew Perry's new sitcom "Go on" Season 1 Episode 5, "Do you believe in ghost...Yes!"
Go on 1.png
Go on 1.png (130.57 KiB) Viewed 11114 times
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
- Groucho Marx
Julie

Post by Julie »

Ohnhai wrote:
Julie wrote:I don't think it's a glove. I think Monica-Spirit's arm is bent at the elbow, so most of the forearm is not visible from this angle. What you're seeing is her wrist with her hand bent down at that joint...giving the illusion of a glove. At least that's what it looked like to me. :)
Definately a glove. Or more accurately a leather gauntlet. Even taking in the usual Wapsi art style the sleeve of the gauntlet is clearly that. Wapsi elbows, however styled always make some effort to taper into the joint and rearly show the obvious concavity seen here. Also with the wrist flexed there is the telltale folding at the wrist. And the fabric arround the fingers is distinctly baggier than skin should be and more folding at the knuckles... Definately a leather gauntlet.
I still think it's her forearm/wrist. :P She's spirit-nekkie...no leather exists in spirit-nekkie-land. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote:
Sphinx-Napped wrote:oh this wont be good.

i predict that bud will pull a nutty and blame Shelly for this by ignoring her begging for help...
The way Bud and Shelly have been talking to one another, over the past few days, leads me to think that Shelly has already alerted Bud to some extent as to what was about to happen.

Bud's somewhat-uncertain "Should we, like, check on her?" is not the reaction I would have expected from Bud, if Monica's screaming was unexpected. Something more along the lines of "What the ****?! Monica, what's wrong??" would be more along the lines of how Bud has usually reacted to surprises. Consider the way Bud reacted to Jin's clay-golem healing process, to Jin's suicide attempt, and to the recent M-freeze by Euryale, and contrast these to Bud's diffident reactions yesterday and today.

Shelly's words on Monday "You need to relax. She'll be fine" now feel, in retrospect, like the end of a briefing.
It also explains why Deitzel is not anywhere to be seen. I am guessing that they sent him off with Brandi so he would not freak out or get hurt.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

Julie wrote: I still think it's her forearm/wrist. :P She's spirit-nekkie...no leather exists in spirit-nekkie-land. :P

Nope. Just look at the other three arms of Mon in that image. The treatment of the hands and arms are totally different

The fourth, gauntletted arm, has the upper arm pointing down. The forearm is conning right at us and is concealed by the hand/gauntlett. The shape we see behind the hand is caused by the downward flex of the wrist that is is causing the firm leather of the gauntlet to pull up. As the sleave of gauntlets are generally two trapezoid shape pieces of leather sewn at the outter edges and then around the smaller circle to the hand the lower seam gets spread out by the fore arm, while the upper seam tries to remain flat creating a raised peak of leather, as we see in the illo.

But as pointed out she other wise seems naked so the existence of once spiritual glove is rather odd. As has been mentioned this is consistent with flying birds of prey.

But I guess tomorrows comic will clarify the situation (unless Paul wants to wade in now?)
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Oh good grief. My brush slipped and it was nearly the last thing that I was inking and didn't want to start all over. It's her forearm, not a glove, just me fucking up a simple foreshortened image.
Ohnhai

Post by Ohnhai »

Wapsi wrote:Oh good grief. My brush slipped and it was nearly the last thing that I was inking and didn't want to start all over. It's her forearm, not a glove, just me fucking up a simple foreshortened image.
At least thats that sorted :)

PS: photoshop is awful handy in these situations... :D
Last edited by Ohnhai on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hey, take it easy, Pablo. It's not every day we see our heroine turned into a ghost. :D
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Wapsi wrote:Oh good grief. My brush slipped and it was nearly the last thing that I was inking and didn't want to start all over. It's her forearm, not a glove, just me fucking up a simple foreshortened image.
Bless you, sir! Had you not said this, your faithful league of fans would be debating this vigorously for years to come! The Disappearing Ghost Glove would be right up there with the Mary Celeste and other such adventures!

And, with a bit of computer magic for you:

There! All better now.
Last edited by Atomic on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I didn't think it was a glove, just a wandering outline, a artistic fancy, if you will.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I was just thinking of it as a trick of transparency.
(Besides it is an awesome image (transparency can be a real bitch in drawing))
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

:( And I had to go on falcon things up further, hawking my wild high-flying speculations. Ought to learn to keep my feet firmly on the ground, I should. :(
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Dave wrote:
:( And I had to go on falcon things up further, hawking my wild high-flying speculations. Ought to learn to keep my feet firmly on the ground, I should. :(

rattles the pun jar.... bad dave... feed the jar, i would say 3 times for punning in one sentence..

there that should have clipped you wings on trying to keep you feet grounded.
Last edited by Sphinx-Napped on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:
Owl agree with that. Don't want to kite unrealistic expectations -- they may stoop and dive when you least expect them to.

(Tosses sacred feathers in pun jar)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

pcj70 wrote:MerchManDan - thanks for the music!
No trouble at all, I'm always happy to share music I love. :D
Dave11 wrote:Jar. Now.
...of course. Umm.... *uploads indie-music collection to Pun Jar Database*
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sphinx-Napped wrote:rattles the pun jar.... bad dave... feed the jar, i would say 3 times for punning in one sentence..
(*clink* *clank* *clunk*)