Awake Now 2012 --10-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MrFireDragon

Re: Awake Now 2012 --10-02

Post by MrFireDragon »

Me happily grabs a comfy chair and a bucket of popcorn and a bunch of sodas and get comfortable for this huge arc where we find how M is the most powerful and dangerous being in the known Wapsiverse. She will now know how she is a hazard to others and perhaps the world and today she will begin her long path to full self control.

You know regular and normal? well, they just walked out the door for good :D
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

jwhouk wrote:
Dave wrote:
Jay-Em wrote:Come to think of it: wasn't Monica's statuette something like a sun goddess-like thingy? (cannot find the pic fast enough) If so..then..ARGH!..goddamit.. Paul has been pulling oneof those "looooooooooooong foreboding-" things.... Again.... :o
Her statue did have a sort of sun-ray-aura appearance to it. One example is here. Chekhov's Figurine?
And you'll notice that her hair turned white-ish after the blade got pulled out...
This was my thought. Maybe she needs the blade back in again??
stjen

Post by stjen »

I'm not necessarily going along with the rest of you, that Shelly knows what M is going thru right now.

I'm thinking that Shelly thinks this is just one of those times when M may have gotten drunk as a skunk, and had to sleep off whatever she was feeling, and that she just wakes up in some loud way, and that's what Shelly is thinking she just needs a minute, and that she'll come out of it and be "normal" again.

I don't think Shelly ever saw Monica in a state like this where she's shooting eye-beam light that's apparently powerful enough to cause smoke (that Bud is smelling). I think Bud is right to be concerned, and maybe M needs help in powering down (and in putting out whatever fire she's started). I think Shelly is going to be very surprised as to what happens next, and torn up later that she didn't realize what M is really going thru, that it's not just a hangover recovery.
Dave

Post by Dave »

bmonk wrote:
jwhouk wrote:And you'll notice that her hair turned white-ish after the blade got pulled out...
This was my thought. Maybe she needs the blade back in again??
The blade is still in her head (although possibly in an out-of-phase state). Shelly followed the instructions she had been given, by turning the key several times and then pulling... but the handle came out alone, leaving the blade somehow embedded in Monica's skull. Shelly told Brandi that there was no way to put the key back into Monica, and "unlock" her demon-dimensional portal, without killing Monica.

The key-blade may very well be playing a role in what is happening to Monica, but it's apparently something more complex than just a "Put the handle back!" Frankenstein situation.
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

I’ll take obviuse statements for 500 Alex.

I think in the excitement of over Monica’s little upgrade I believe everyone is overlooking she’s burning down her house lol. One thing about the wapsi universe is magical damage doesn’t go away when you learn to control a power so unless the fire is some kind of illusion (less likely seeing bud smelled smoke) what’s burned is going to stay burned.

This is why I find the “sink or swing” philosophy to learning flawed it always leaves behind damage of some kind either emotional or physical.

Btw I hope Shelly is picking up the tab for this repair bill.
stjen wrote:I'm not necessarily going along with the rest of you, that Shelly knows what M is going thru right now.
I agree, I don't like the idea that shelly knows this is happening either.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Prester Fred wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Shelly is using the word "awake" to mean more than it usually does?
Because you know how things work in the Wapsiverse. :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

I just realized that the expression on Shelly's face in today's comic is the same expression that Shelly had when she told Monica that she was the Jaguar Girl... (Sept 17, 'Closed Doorway')

Secrets, yes we like our secrets...

-- Bill
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

MrBill wrote:I just realized that the expression on Shelly's face in today's comic is the same expression that Shelly had when she told Monica that she was the Jaguar Girl... (Sept 17, 'Closed Doorway')

Secrets, yes we like our secrets...

-- Bill
Once a doorway, always a doorway....
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Dave

Post by Dave »

MrFireDragon wrote:Once a doorway, always a doorway....
You're right... and it's all making sense now.

Monica and Shelly. Doorways to other dimensions. The love of the fans for word--play in the old Comments section, and here in the Forum. It all fits together.

People. Portals. Puns.

Everybody knows that a person can turn into a doorway, only if the door is aJar.

(deposits a very old jokebook in the Pun Jar, and runs like Hell)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Dave wrote:(Opus... pay the Jar, dude!)

That was an entirely unintentional pun, so no dice. I meant "poit out" fire as in send the flames away.

Besides, I'm P', which makes po' look like a Rockefeller.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Dave wrote:
You're right... and it's all making sense now. ...

Everybody knows that a person can turn into a doorway, only if the door is aJar.
Heh heh heh heh. Indeed.

I feel that ice is slowly melting.

It seems like years since it's been clear.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Fairportfan wrote:In twenty years. will she be a Cougar Woman?
Oh, she already is. I seem to recall a couple of comics where she eyed a teenager with lust. On one occasion she ended up in a closet making out with one. She didn't know he was a teen at the time, but still ...
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Jay-Em wrote:Waittaminute now!

Shelly, déary.. Whát have you and Nudge been cooking-up now?

Though, meeting an ice-gaze with a torchlight-look and firebreath, could be interesting..... I wonder if roast snake tastes the same as roasted Joewana.. Chicken with a bith of asweet tang....

Come to think of it: wasn't Monica's statuette something like a sun goddess-like thingy? (cannot find the pic fast enough) If so..then..ARGH!..goddamit.. Paul has been pulling oneof those "looooooooooooong foreboding-" things.... Again.... :o
even better: she has her own BUILT-IN VAMPIRE DEFENSE!!! she definitely has the "looks that kill" now... and that's NOT a pun on how hot she is... (but that was. :D )
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
liquidschwartz

Post by liquidschwartz »

I don't think she has a minute.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

dex drako wrote:I’ll take obviuse statements for 500 Alex.

I think in the excitement of over Monica’s little upgrade I believe everyone is overlooking she’s burning down her house lol. One thing about the wapsi universe is magical damage doesn’t go away when you learn to control a power so unless the fire is some kind of illusion (less likely seeing bud smelled smoke) what’s burned is going to stay burned.
If you go and look. In spite of my initial worry at her left arm from Monday, there doesn't seem to be any property damage, including her sleepwear.

Just sayin'.

And, just a show of hands, how many still scroll up this page to look at the strip referenced? :?
Last edited by Jabberwonky on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Jabberwonky wrote:And, just a show of hands, how many still scroll up this page to look at the strip referenced? :?

me... it's kinda hard to break the habit ain't it.?!
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Jabberwonky wrote:
If you go and look. In spite of my initial worry at her left arm from Monday, there doesn't seem to be any property damage, including her sleepwear.

Just sayin'.

And, just a show of hands, how many still scroll up this page to look at the strip referenced? :?
I scroll sometimes as well lol.

anyway don't get me wrong I expect Mon and her clothes to get out of this just fine they are her powers (and this is a pg-13ish comic after all) and I'd be fine if the fire is an Illusion but bud smelling smoke makes that hard to believe for me. it could be a real fire that doesn't burn anything I just find that strange but we'll find out soon.
Dave

Post by Dave »

dex drako wrote:... I'd be fine if the fire is an Illusion but bud smelling smoke makes that hard to believe for me. it could be a real fire that doesn't burn anything I just find that strange but we'll find out soon.
Could it be the sulphurious smell of brimstone, which is reported to accompany the visits of swarthy red-skinned gentlemen bearing contracts of dubious safety?

If M begins exhibiting horns in lieu of fangs (and no fangs are visible even during today's light-show), we may have a very interesting metaphysical situation developing :twisted:
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Dave wrote:
You're right... and it's all making sense now.

Monica and Shelly. Doorways to other dimensions. The love of the fans for word--play in the old Comments section, and here in the Forum. It all fits together.

People. Portals. Puns.

(deposits a very old jokebook in the Pun Jar, and runs like Hell)
dont.. make me say it..
Now youre playing with portals, people....

/flees the jar and bill it to dave he made me say it!!
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

scantrontb wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:And, just a show of hands, how many still scroll up this page to look at the strip referenced? :?
me... it's kinda hard to break the habit ain't it.?!
Was for me too. I never felt comfortable posting much in the old area since it wasn't controlled and anyone could post and goodness knows what else. But I did read the comments and did the scroll up thingarino. Now that I do post (way too much) I've gotten into the habit of opening the latest Wapsi page in a tab first., Then open the forum in the next tab. Actually each section I look at gets it's own tab. Anyway, that lets me refer to the comic easily. I think there is some sort of add-on for Firebird that can run a script that can do something like that automatically from a single click. Need to look into that, being the lazy little girl I am. <whiny-pouty-butt> Moving that mouse around is soooo harrrddd. </whiny-pouty-butt>
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.