Protecting You 2016-11-16

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Protecting You 2016-11-16

Post by GlytchMeister »

Just Old Al wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Of course, this comic has some severely problematic ramifications for my character in the fanfic... Glytch is a firm believer in the "A.I. Is A Crapshoot" trope. He would be, at the absolute minimum, extremely suspicious of this "Downloaded" Leucoisa.
Not an AI - an SI. WIth enough computing power you can make it sound damn good.

SImulated Intelligence wrapped around a data retrieval engine.
That is less scary... But Glytch would have to see the code before he trusts it.

I'm getting story ideas...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Leucoisa wrote:Well, I have all Leucoisa's memories, but I know I'm not really her.
We've not seen any evidence that the Library can tap into an individual's memories (the Anasazi civilization memory dump notwithstanding), so perhaps a more appropriate statement would be that this avatar has access to all of the knowledge on file regarding Leucoisa, but not actual memories.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Of course, this comic has some severely problematic ramifications for my character in the fanfic... Glytch is a firm believer in the "A.I. Is A Crapshoot" trope. He would be, at the absolute minimum, extremely suspicious of this "Downloaded" Leucoisa.
Not an AI - an SI. WIth enough computing power you can make it sound damn good.

So, you're saying she's talking to a close cousin of Siri or ELIZA or Doctor Memory? No actual self-consciousness / sentience present?

"Hey, Pablo - she broke the President!"
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I suspect the Library is a bit more than a SI...

EDIT: Wow, do you realize it has been over 10 years since we first encountered the Library?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:"Hey, Pablo - she broke the President!"
"Dammit, Nudge - you hadda go and mention porridge birds just as I was about to get my answers!"

"Well, uh, yeah ... but you can pee in the stream!"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:Not an AI - an SI. WIth enough computing power you can make it sound damn good.

So, you're saying she's talking to a close cousin of Siri or ELIZA or Doctor Memory? No actual self-consciousness / sentience present?

"Hey, Pablo - she broke the President!"
a copy/paste re-post from the actual comic page's comments section by me:
Scantrontb wrote:sorry for the Wall-o-Text, but…

yep, that’s pretty much the text-book definition of what the mundane scientists are still in the dark about what we/they in the Wapsi-verse call “Dark Matter”… the religious aspect calls it the “Akashic Records”

it’s pretty cool that both statements are correct (in the Wapi-verse that is.) , it’s the material record of EVERYTHING that has EVER HAPPENED, happening RIGHT NOW, or WILL EVER happen in the future… and The Library is the way to read that data; that’s why the books are indestructible and come back into existence after they get “destroyed” (or angry thoughts are directed their way)… you are NOT ACTUALLY damaging the ACTUAL DATA, just a”shadow copy” of the data contained within, similar to how Tsillah makes her shadow form that we in the 3D universe interact with, but she is REALLY just the 2D “Shadow on the Wall”… if someone were to “kill” the small humanoid “girl” that we SEE as her, they aren’t REALLY killing HER… just the Shadow of her… same for the books.

as to how that goes here in the Q-Room, well… all the Library has to do is “replay” a portion of the Real Leucosa’s life file, and because it doesn’t have Leucosa’s Soul to give it that “spark of life” it provides the motivational force for it, and uses the DATA from Leucosa as the “A.I. program” that we’re seeing right now, and because it has access to ALL the “data that makes up the entity known as ‘Leucosa'” that’s why it WILL pass the “Turing Test” and BE Leucosa for as long as the program is running… and can answer any question as if Leucosa herself was being asked the same question… with the added bonus of the Library being able to add in responses that the real Leucosa may not have had access to, but the Library does know, something like her husband getting killed because she died before that was known.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AmriloJim wrote:
Leucoisa wrote:Well, I have all Leucoisa's memories, but I know I'm not really her.
We've not seen any evidence that the Library can tap into an individual's memories (the Anasazi civilization memory dump notwithstanding), so perhaps a more appropriate statement would be that this avatar has access to all of the knowledge on file regarding Leucoisa, but not actual memories.
Yeah, that was my reaction this time . . . All of Leucoisa's memories?
jwhouk wrote:I suspect the Library is a bit more than a SI...
Either that or it was programmed by a demigod . . .

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
"Dammit, Nudge - you hadda go and mention porridge birds just as I was about to get my answers!"

Heh heh... :D

One of my favorite career hacks was the realization that I could discover really big prime numbers which had an arbitrary "secret message" embedded within them. I used this trick when generating some security keys for a product I was working on... and I named one of these keys "... the Porridge bird ...". The prime number in the key contains a message to those trying to subvert the system's security.

Scroll through the "Code" subwindow to see what Uh Clem might have seen...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

FreeFlier wrote:

--FreeFlier
On here, you may call him Pablo. :D
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

jwhouk wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:
On here, you may call him Pablo. :D
Here, he's not a demigod . . .

--FreeFlier
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

I wonder if this S.I. could tell us if she's the same siren of that name from Greek mythology? Though she could just be her namesake.

BTW, is her name is said something like "loo-see-sah"?
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:

And that's important!

:D
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Gyrrakavian wrote:I wonder if this S.I. could tell us if she's the same siren of that name from Greek mythology? Though she could just be her namesake.

BTW, is her name is said something like "loo-see-sah"?
Leucoisa reads, to me, as 'Loo-Koh-Shia/Sha', or ...'seeaah/saah' on the end there, depending.

Maybe - loo-koi-saa...
Dave

Post by Dave »

"No no, my name is spelled Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced Throatwarbler Mangrove."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Paul Taylor on Facebook wrote: Leucoisa pronounced: lah-COY-sha. =)
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

Armorlord wrote:Next question is: Is this construct supposed to appear, or is it an accidental result of Castela dumping so much Blackthorn energy into the holodeck?
My concern on this being more a matter of whether or not this construct shuts off when the Q Room does, or does she keep going as long as her charge lasts?
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:"No no, my name is spelled Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced Throatwarbler Mangrove."
While I was not aware of the Monty Python skit, I did read somewhere (on a trail that started here, no doubt) that there are a few places in England whose pronunciation has nothing to do with the spelling. Either that, or a person's name, or both.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Aside from the fanfic implications, I think this is your basic holodeck situation.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Aside from the fanfic implications, I think this is your basic holodeck situation.
Holodecks are notoriously prone to shenanigans and malarkey... Or maybe that's just the Federation ones.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

GlytchMeister wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Aside from the fanfic implications, I think this is your basic holodeck situation.
Holodecks are notoriously prone to shenanigans and malarkey... Or maybe that's just the Federation ones.
Of course, the times when it works correctly aren't written about . . . no entertainment value in people having a nice picnic.

--FreeFlier