Falling 2016-11-15

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Falling 2016-11-15

Post by AmriloJim »

Armorlord

Re: Falling 2016-11-15

Post by Armorlord »

Well, I guess that answers concerns about the Library withstanding it. Looks like self-repair won't be needed yet.
Will this mean she still has to "find her own way out"?
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

This is the reason for the special room. The holograms could have been done anywhere. What she's doing now, not so much.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

You know, I had always heard it was a bad idea to put a weapon in the hands of someone who is emotionally unstable...

But what happens is the weapon itself, is the emotionally unstable one, at the time? :?

What are those stages of grief, again? She looks like she's burning through them at a rapid pace... She looks simply devastated, in the last panel.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

OMG teh feels...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

lake_wrangler wrote:You know, I had always heard it was a bad idea to put a weapon in the hands of someone who is emotionally unstable...

But what happens is the weapon itself, is the emotionally unstable one, at the time? :?
Get thee to a video source and watch Dark Star. One of John Carpenter's cult films....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:OMG teh feels...
Wow. :shock:

You don't see anguish like that every day... thank goodness.

I think Pickle now understands a lot she didn't... including how Londo Mollari felt when he learned an uncomfortable truth about the past.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

This is heartbreaking.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atomic wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:You know, I had always heard it was a bad idea to put a weapon in the hands of someone who is emotionally unstable...

Get thee to a video source and watch Dark Star. One of John Carpenter's cult films....
Also "The Iron Giant". And if you can watch it and not get misty at "Suupermannn...", well...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:OMG teh feels...
Wow. :shock:

You don't see anguish like that every day... thank goodness.

I think Pickle now understands a lot she didn't... including how Londo Mollari felt when he learned an uncomfortable truth about the past.
Suddenly becoming an adult at age twelve or so is guaranteed to break something, no matter how well you manage to dissemble.

How are Dallyn, Timothy and Scarlett going to react? Even if she manages to hide it from the adults, they'll know.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Bottom line... she will need industrial strength hugs as soon as she is safe to approach.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Dont believe she will be able to hide anything from Tata Phix.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

...will we get another 'rabid kale' demonstration?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Wowie.

Look at her feet, first panel.

On Stone.

Rocket=style reaction from the plasma blast - and note that she also apparently put out some sort of extra anchor roots.

Okay?

Now check Bud's feet.

On desert hardpan, true, but stone - especially βιβλιοθήκη stone - is a lot tougher than hardpan.

Bud is at least as angry as Castela.

Which one is putting out more sheer power?
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Also "The Iron Giant". And if you can watch it and not get misty at "Suupermannn...", well...
I was looking for another film in the discount bin at my local Walmart just this last week and came across many copies of 'Iron Giant'.

Well recommended, I even talked strangers into buying a copy right then and there...

append: Yeah, I saw those anchors as well, good example remembering the Golem discharging the pent up energy following that blast...

PS- Castela not only must deal with the anguish of Atsali's parents dieing suddenly and violently,
but also that they Died,

For Her...
Last edited by TazManiac on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Also "The Iron Giant". And if you can watch it and not get misty at "Suupermannn...", well...
I was looking for another film in the discount bin at my local Walmart just this last week and came across many copies of 'Iron Giant'.

Well recommended, I even talked strangers into buying a copy right then and there...
It got a semi-fancy re-release, including a brief theatrical run, recently.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Bud's feet are bigger. Less PSI. And Newton's-3rd-Law Reactionary Force doesn't really apply to her, as she has thrown the entire Calendar Machine (which was about the size of a large tractor engine and probably way more dense BEFORE it was compacted into a pebble) to about hypersonic speeds, instantaneously.

At the top of that speed estimate range was 1/3c, but I think somebody said Paul said Bud's estimate on when the Calendar Pebble would arrive at the sun was an arbitrary "pulled outta the ass" number. Even at merely supersonic speeds, the recoil of that action would have been enough to force Bud's feet several inches, possibly feet, straight into the ground. That was not depicted, but attention was not drawn to her feet, so I'm assuming that didn't happen.

So... Recoil might have been severely dampened by Bud in the pic you linked to. Might not. I'm just supplying grains of salt, here.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Now check Bud's feet.

Nek'id Bud is Nek'id...
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:Bud's feet are bigger. Less PSI. And Newton's-3rd-Law Reactionary Force doesn't really apply to her, as she has thrown the entire Calendar Machine (which was about the size of a large tractor engine and probably way more dense BEFORE it was compacted into a pebble) to about hypersonic speeds, instantaneously.

At the top of that speed estimate range was 1/3c, but I think somebody said Paul said Bud's estimate on when the Calendar Pebble would arrive at the sun was an arbitrary "pulled outta the ass" number. Even at merely supersonic speeds, the recoil of that action would have been enough to force Bud's feet several inches, possibly feet, straight into the ground. That was not depicted, but attention was not drawn to her feet, so I'm assuming that didn't happen.

So... Recoil might have been severely dampened by Bud in the pic you linked to. Might not. I'm just supplying grains of salt, here.
If she's sinking in at all, i doubt she's damping reaction. Why should she? And if she did, why only partially?

Or maybe she doesn't have the new Grayson-design inertial compensator yet?
sheik

Post by sheik »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Wowie.

Look at her feet, first panel.

On Stone.

Rocket=style reaction from the plasma blast - and note that she also apparently put out some sort of extra anchor roots.

Okay?

Now check Bud's feet.

On desert hardpan, true, but stone - especially βιβλιοθήκη stone - is a lot tougher than hardpan.

Bud is at least as angry as Castela.

Which one is putting out more sheer power?
I don't know, but it looks like somewhere in the megatons/second range.