Echoes 2016-11-7

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
GlytchMeister

Re: Echoes 2016-11-7

Post by GlytchMeister »

He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:And somebody, maybe MIB, walked in and listened to them... The walls told them what happened.
During her period of post-Calendar-Machine schizophrenia, Jin saw dead people, and (later) implied that the walls had been talking to her.

What if that wasn't entirely madness and delusion?
I don't really feel as if there's a "what if" there, myself.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:*POOF*
Hmmm. I was going to bet myself that i knew where that link went ... but it looks as if i was wrong.

===========

Yup. Me were wrong.

I guessed you were linking here.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Tarrow

Post by Tarrow »

GlytchMeister wrote:What if a similar event, an event of extreme emotional power and intensity, but less so than an entire civilization being royally screwed, could be "Taped" by less permanent surroundings?

Say, a house
Hmmmm. That sounds a lot like the concept behind Psychometry, where objects such as personal possessions supposedly maintain a memory of emotionally-charged events which they're involved in. Johnny Smith from the Stephen King novel "The Dead Zone" is one psychometry practitioner that springs to mind.

It's the kind of ability that would make someone a natural at crime scene investigation - simply handling some of the evidence (an item of clothing worn by the victim at time of death, a wedding ring, one of the guns) might provide enough information to write up a very coherent report of what exactly happened. And if there's a single group in the wapsiverse that would actively attempt to recruit anyone with such an ability, it'd be the MiB.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Just this last week the TV Show 'Chicago Med' was dealing with a lack of beds to transfer patients to, and a certain room was considered Taboo due to the string of recent events.

One of the Doctors invited a guy in (I missed the previous in-series reference but) he looked Polynesian and he went in closed the door, pulled the drapes ad did his thing.

Later he said- "It's OK now...", and when pressed he said that places get micro-changes based on what takes pace, and while you cant erase them, you can write over them...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:One also finds it interesting that Atsali and Katherine, both sufferers from PTSD of similar variety, from similar causes, found each other by total coincidence, just in time to set out on an Adventure that starts both of them on the road to recovery.
It's a work of fiction. There are no total coincidences. Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason turns out to be unimportant and gets dropped.

Sometimes even the author doesn't know the reason until sometime later.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sometimes the author knows the reason, but intentionally withholds it until after everyone has forgotten all about it, then springs it up on us all like a huge mallet coming out of hammerspace and hits us over the head with it. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Sometimes the author knows the reason, but intentionally withholds it until after everyone has forgotten all about it, then springs it up on us all like a huge mallet coming out of hammerspace and hits us over the head with it. ;)
One of JKRowling's favorite tricks.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Warrl wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:One also finds it interesting that Atsali and Katherine, both sufferers from PTSD of similar variety, from similar causes, found each other by total coincidence, just in time to set out on an Adventure that starts both of them on the road to recovery.
It's a work of fiction. There are no total coincidences. Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason turns out to be unimportant and gets dropped.

Sometimes even the author doesn't know the reason until sometime later.
Aah! but you forget... The Library was the one that let those two hook up in the first place. Atsali, being a member of the Orphanage day-trip group would have had no reason to be going towards the exit of the Library at all, and with how the Library can poit in people without them knowing it (when Nudge got evicted) so how the two of them met can only be due to influence by that Library itself...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I thought the library didn't so much *poit* people as just bring them in quietly . . .

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

FreeFlier wrote:I thought the library didn't so much *poit* people as just bring them in quietly . . .

--FreeFlier
When it wants to be obvious about it The Library "VORP!"s people, with a visual effect that looks amazingly like a Neuroi under attack.

If it DOESN'T want to be obvious about it, you casually step through the door to your office and find yourself in Oz.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:I thought the library didn't so much *poit* people as just bring them in quietly . . .
When it wants to be obvious about it The Library "VORP!"s people, with a visual effect that looks amazingly like a Neuroi under attack.

If it DOESN'T want to be obvious about it, you casually step through the door to your office and find yourself in Oz.
That's better than guest-starring in Dilbert . . . or Call of Cthulu.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Or Roseanne...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

There are horrors that are too unspeakable for words.

--FreeFlier