Just Fine 2012-10-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Re: Just Fine 2012-10-01

Post by NOTDilbert »

Also, folks, if I read my Google fu correctly, this was the first day of The Last Sun, which will set on the Winter Solstice, and will not return.
BTW, this is the Age of the Jaguar, yes?
(Based on the most popular interpretation of the Maya Calendar. Or it may have already happened, won't happen for a thousand-odd years, or in a couple millenia. Mileage based on EPA estimates, yours may vary.)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Tina was waking up on fire before it was cool.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

something I've been wondering about for a while (since Shelly revealed that Mon is a Jaguar Girl, http://wapsisquare.com/comic/jaguar-girl/). How did Shelly know this? As far as we know, she has had fairly limited access to other paranormals, especially those who would know about Monica's abilities, so how does sho know that "... there are creatures who look at you as one of the more dangerous beings"? With the fire and eye lights, I would agree - not to mention the GGG, but where did Shelly learn this? I suspect she has had further contact with Phix in the intervening two weeks, maybe?
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

She did have 80,000 years of goofing off with Phix and Nudge. Plenty of time for it to have come up...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:She did have 80,000 years of goofing off with Phix and Nudge. Plenty of time for it to have come up...
She could probably also get Nudge to check books out of the Library for her....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

In a very long-throw type of thing, I thought the Warrior gals were Shells and Moni, like some others did, with a smart-ass looking dragon, but now, well.... Maybe they are Shelly, Bud, and Monica. I can't figure which one is the Lizard, Monica or Bud. This whole waking up with the bed on fire shed a whole new light on the weekend speculation.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

One thing I've been kicking around in my head, ever since the thread popped up discussing how Bud's calander machine toss didn't cause all sorts of havoc. (Kicking the earth of its axis, ripping a goodly portion of the atmosphere away, and so on.) The GGGs harness the potential energy of the galaxtic rotation, giving them nearly limitless power, and can manipulate energy to a degree that we've seen Bud impart energy to objects (the calender machine, Monica's bullets during her rock shooting session)without adverse effects on the surrounding enviorment.

During the calendar machine toss, and the golf ball hurling incident, she emparted massive energy to objects to hurl them out of the atmosphere, yet there was no recoil, no equal and opposite reaction, which means she was dumping that "excess" energy back into the pool of energy she was drawing from. The mechanism for drawing that energy is presumably the same mechanism she uses to POIT, that is, access to a vast wormhole network.

Monica uses that same network to POIT, so presumably, she could draw from it in the same way, and seems to be doing so in the last panel of today's strip.

I think Shelly's comment about M being her "own doorway" wasn't about her status as a doorway to the demon realm. I think it was about Monica's having full access to the network for as much power as she wants. Shelly has said several times now that Monica is as dangerous as anyone she knows. This is what she meant by it, I think. Up till now monica has been self limiting, afraid of what she'd do with that power. But fear is a powerful motivator. She's afraid of people she considers friends. She'd have to feel alone.

And the last freezing probably didn't help matters, either.

I also hope she shielded herself and didn't burn off her hand. Yeowch.

By the by, it would also explain legends of humans, wizards and the like, who could shoot fireballs from thier eyes and lightning bolts from thier arse.

And, as always, I may be completely wrong about all this. Paul throws a mean curve ball.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

On the whole of it, I think I'd rather shoot fireballs out of my eyes... :shock:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Now that was a rude awakening.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Leak

Post by Leak »

Jabberwonky wrote:On the whole of it, I think I'd rather shoot fireballs out of my eyes... :shock:
Yeah, because that always goes so well... :D
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

ShadOBabe wrote:Heehee... "Pocket Elf". Best nickname ever. XD
I still prefer "pixie with the rack".
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Fairportfan wrote:
Me too. Just sayin'...
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

Dave wrote:Yow. Yes, it does look as if those freeze-and-thaw cycles may possibly have Started Something.
To everyone who thinks it's the number of cycles: why don't you listen to Euryale? I mean, the one who probably knows a heck of a lot more about this freezing-people-by-looking-at-them thing? Like, having centuries, nay, millenia of experience?

She said that M could melt. And probably did a bit. She didn't worry about the number of freezings. And she should know.

Now... that something caused something is obvious. But what the cause of this dream (I tend to think it's a dream, but we won't know until tomorrow. Or not even then :D) is... or the causes, as the case may be. It could be just Shelly's mention of "Jaguar girl".

I rest. Myself and my case.

(Do I owe something to the punjab? Oh, sure, here's a dog-eared copy of... damn, it's so dog-eared I can't even tell what it is anymore. It must be good, though :D)
Last edited by Jürgen A. Erhard on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Boxilar wrote:By the by, it would also explain legends of humans, wizards and the like, who could shoot fireballs from thier eyes and lightning bolts from thier arse.
Ow. Nice Braveheart reference.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
wratgaf

Post by wratgaf »

Hmmmmm, When did Monica acquire laser death ray eyes?
ShadOBabe

Post by ShadOBabe »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Me too. Just sayin'...
LOL!! That one's funny, but "Pocket Elf" is a bit catchier. XD
Julie

Post by Julie »

wratgaf wrote:Hmmmmm, When did Monica acquire laser death ray eyes?
She's had the eye-lights at least since she went hunting for Tina in the basement of the coffee shop. :) I think that's the first time we saw them appear at least...

As for the page...today is full of WTF. I'm just going to enjoy my tea and scones on this Comfy Couch and wait for tomorrow...or however many days it takes to explain this. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Julie

Post by Julie »

ShadOBabe wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
LOL!! That one's funny, but "Pocket Elf" is a bit catchier. XD
Agreed! I <3 Pocket Elf! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

I have a feeling this is just a nightmare she's having, honestly. That or we'll have Shelly barging in any second tomorrow.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Akeche wrote:I have a feeling this is just a nightmare she's having, honestly. That or we'll have Shelly barging in any second tomorrow.
Whether the whole third panel is just a nightmare... well, it's certainly possible... but this would not be the first time a nightmare served as a trigger.